Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2012 4:31:50 PM EDT
Had 2 light primer strikes out of 50 rounds with a Glock 30 I just purchased. What can I do?

Can I purchase a longer firing pin? Are they easy to install?

Anyone else have this problem?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#1]
New or used?  Clean the firing pin if used, I'm guessing?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Clean out the striker chanel
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
First thing I'd do would be to take off the back plate and make sure the firing pin, spring, and channel are all clean, free of debris, and not over lubericated.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure it has the upgraded trigger bar, top will be stamped "4256-1" or "4256 -1-"
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
First thing I'd do would be to take off the back plate and make sure the firing pin, spring, and channel are all clean, free of debris, and not over lubericated.

Any lubrication at all would be "overlubricated!"   Channel could be clean and COMPLETELY dry.  I blast 'em out with non-chlorinated brake cleaner.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:32:35 PM EDT
[#7]
We have been using clean fire Blazer ammo at our indoor range for in-service qualifications.  We have been experiencing a ton of hard primers on the .45 230 grain Blazer ammo.  Any chance you are using this particular ammo?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 12:49:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shake the slide, when then the trigger is pulled you should be able to hear the striker bouncing around. Do you?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 2:50:15 AM EDT
[#9]
In addition to ensuring the pin, spring and channel are clean and dry, since it's used, check to make sure the firing pin spring hasn't been changed out for a lighter one.  It's one of the easiest ways to reduce the trigger pull weight, but also one of the common causes of light primer strikes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

We have been using clean fire Blazer ammo at our indoor range for in-service qualifications.  We have been experiencing a ton of hard primers on the .45 230 grain Blazer ammo.  Any chance you are using this particular ammo?

We have had some random hard primers in Speer Lawman.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Are the indentations in in the primers centered or off center?
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are the indentations in in the primers centered or off center?

center
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shake the slide, when then the trigger is pulled you should be able to hear the striker bouncing around. Do you?

I will try that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Make sure it has the upgraded trigger bar, top will be stamped "4256-1" or "4256 -1-"

It does.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:05:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will try that.

Tried it and can hear something bouncing around. Maybe I had some ammo with hard primers. I will try another brand.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#16]
You could clean the firing pin channel, but be careful. If someone who had no idea what they were doing and cleaned in there, they could of burred the chamber liner. This would cause light primer strikes. Also, could be showing an indication you need to switch the springs inside your gun (old springs). I would shoot another brand and see if it does it. If it does, bring it to an armorer who knows what they are doing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#17]
So, is this a new or used G30?  If that's already been established, then I missed it.   If it's new, then the springs are probably o.k.  If it's used, then the fix might be something as simple as a new recoil spring assembly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:20:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Had 2 light primer strikes out of 50 rounds with a Glock 30 I just purchased. What can I do?

Can I purchase a longer firing pin? Are they easy to install?

Anyone else have this problem?

Is yours a Gen 2.5? Does it have a 4256-1- trigger bar? Here's my G30 light primer strike experience.

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have had some random hard primers in Speer Lawman.

I've found CCI primers can run hard.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, is this a new or used G30?  If that's already been established, then I missed it.   If it's new, then the springs are probably o.k.  If it's used, then the fix might be something as simple as a new recoil spring assembly.

Used gun but looks new. I do not believe it has been shot much at all.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a new Glock 26 Gen 4. I've had 10 light primer strikes out of 300 rounds with 4 different types of ammo. It also shoots 4 inches high and 1-2 inches to the right at 7 yards. I took it to a gunsmith and he took it apart and examined it and couldn't find anything wrong. I'm probably going to have to send it back to Glock.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Sent mine to Glock.  Upgraded parts per earlier posts on this thread.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes this. Somebody was likely dumping oil where they thought it needed it. It doesn't

If that doesn't fix you up somebody cut or swapped out some trigger springs.

Worse possible senario is you will have to replace some half assed trigger work, all simple stuff
that is fairly cheap, nothing to worry about

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 3:31:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've got a new Glock 26 Gen 4. I've had 10 light primer strikes out of 300 rounds with 4 different types of ammo. It also shoots 4 inches high and 1-2 inches to the right at 7 yards. I took it to a gunsmith and he took it apart and examined it and couldn't find anything wrong. I'm probably going to have to send it back to Glock.

Are you an experienced Glockenheimer, or is this your first Glock-shooting experience?   I can't imagine any Glock's shooting 4" off-center @ 7 yds.  I've shot several hundred thousand rounds through a bunch of different Glocks, and every one of my Glocks shoot dead-on.  If you made the mistake of squirting oil into the slide's internals, then that's the cause of your light strikes.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you an experienced Glockenheimer, or is this your first Glock-shooting experience?   I can't imagine any Glock's shooting 4" off-center @ 7 yds.  I've shot several hundred thousand rounds through a bunch of different Glocks, and every one of my Glocks shoot dead-on.  If you made the mistake of squirting oil into the slide's internals, then that's the cause of your light strikes.  

I currently own 5 Glocks and have been carrying a Model 19 since 1989. I just switched to a Model 23 Gen 4 about a month ago. I cleaned and inspected the firing pin channel on my 26 and it appears fine. That's what I can't figure out. I've shot almost every type of Glock and I've never shot one that was this far off at 7 yards. I'm going to call Glock tomorrow but I suspect that they will have me send it in.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I currently own 5 Glocks and have been carrying a Model 19 since 1989. I just switched to a Model 23 Gen 4 about a month ago. I cleaned and inspected the firing pin channel on my 26 and it appears fine. That's what I can't figure out. I've shot almost every type of Glock and I've never shot one that was this far off at 7 yards. I'm going to call Glock tomorrow but I suspect that they will have me send it in.

Only Glock I ever had that wouldn't shoot straight had a hairline crack at the front of the ejection port.  Glock gave me a new slide.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top