Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2009 5:42:33 PM EDT
Short of throwing a magazine in my pocket, I'm not exactly sure what the best way to carry a spare mag or two is.  I just ordered a new MTAC, and now I'm going to need something to carry the magazine(s) in.

What do you recommend for a glock 9mm magazine?

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a leather mag pouch, i think it's a desantis. It was at my local shop for like $20. It's worked well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:00:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it IWB or OWB?

Where on the belt do you place it?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
My mag holder is OWB at 7:00 My gun is OWB at 4:00
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Raven Concealment mag pouch. I carry it OWB on my weak side (opposite of gun.)

It's the best mag pouch I've come across. It's contoured to fit on your tighter and closer on your hip. And with the belt loops offset (not on top of the mag) it makes for a thin design that's very easy to conceal, and not bulky at all. There is a positive click when inserting the mag, so retention is good. The retention is not adjustable, but I don't believe that to be necessary with this molded design. And with the Raven design, it's also possible to convert the mag pouch to IWB if you so choose to do so.

If you're interested and want more information, or other pictures of it, just let me know.

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 11:53:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I wear a Comp-Tac mag holder OWB on my belt at about 8:00. Same one I use for IDPA and IPSC.

People carry so many cell phones, PDAs, IPODs, etc on their belts that no one would give it a second thought if it ever printed against my shirt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a swiss army knife sheath (nylon with velcro closure) that came with a knife i bought a looooong time ago.  Fits my P220 Compact mags perfectly, and its hidden in plain sight
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got one of the Crossbreed tuckable mag carriers on order. They're a little pricey, but fully tuckable and with the leather backing for comfort.

Crossbreed Mag Carrier

I haven't tried it yet, obviously, but I think it should be perfect for my needs.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd like a better place to carry one, but on the belt just isn't appealing.  Already feel like I'm wearing a Batman Utility Belt.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]
The Glock brand mag pouch is very thin, fits close to your body and only costs a few bucks.

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry a spare Glock 22 mag in my weak side pocket. I have a double mag pouch for my belt that I have worn but I have found that I have to put it over my wallet  to keep it covered by my shirt that I wear for cover. Then I have trouble keeping it concealed when it is time to get my wallet out.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 10:03:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Glock brand mag pouch is very thin, fits close to your body and only costs a few bucks.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/adamkusmc/100_0115.jpg

I own $40+ pouches from Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac and I honestly prefer the $8 GLOCK pouches.
Link Posted: 4/25/2009 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the hardest things to do is to carry a spare mag and light. Especially living here in Arizona. Wearing a loose fitting  shirt is normal here. Wearing 2 shirts is a good idea
but gets hot after awhile.

I carry a spare mag in a Galco Concealable Magazine Case. I have also used the Blackhawk system. Just the mag holder. I had a hard time pulling my Surefire Light out of it, so I gave it away. The Serpa holster just did not hide well under a shirt, best used for Open carry.

As for carrying more then one spare mag, I figured if I need more then one spare mag it is time to get my rifle and vest from the truck.

I carry my spare on the week side or in my vest or hip pouch. Depends on what I am wearing and where I am at
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I will use either:

a Galco double carrier, leather

or a Blade-Tech single carrier w/ Tek-Lok, up front, and an Uncle Mikes nylon pouch behind that.  Actually very concealable that way.

Then an extra mag in whatever jacket/cover garment I might have on, then extra mags in whatever vehicle I'm using.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 8:56:57 PM EDT
[#16]
regular mag carriers

from: glock, don hume, comptac, bladetech, and soon, raven

all i'd recommend
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 10:04:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Since I already have to buy jeans with a gun in mind, I always try to find the ones with an appropriately sized "watch" or "change" pocket. You know, the little pocket above the main pocket on the right side? If you shop around, you can find jeans that have a large/deep watch pocket that will easily hold one or two magazines. I can't think of a more low-profile way to carry magazines. With the right jeans, its pretty secure. Just something to think about...Make sure you regularly check the pocket for fuzz-bunnies though.

Since not all of my jeans allow for this or when I am not wearing jeans, I use both Ctac and Blackhawk mag pouches. Both work great... For CCW work, you can't always wear your mag/s at 11 o'clock. So long as you practice with where your mags are placed and you put them anywhere insane, it shouldn't matter "what time" you wear them at... With that being said, I wear the Ctac dual mag pouch at around 9 o'clock. It pretty much dissapeers under a T shirt at that position. I wear the Blackhawk pouches in the same position, one on eiether side of the belt loop. These aren't my favorite because they seem to cant inwards, but with sweatpants its about the best you can hope for. I tried wearing a Blackhawk 3 mag nylon pouch at 6 o'clock, which concealed perfectly but I couldn't get to the mags with any real speed.

What I have now works pretty good but I wouldn't say I have found the perfect way to carry mags...I am still searching.
Link Posted: 4/26/2009 11:20:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I prefer Comp-Tacs kydex mag carriers sinc Blade-tech doesn't make the style I like anymore.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#19]
For my 1911, Uncle Mike's dual mag carrier that I found in a local shop.  For my XD, XD Gear mag carrier that came with the pistol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I use a Andrew's Gunleather pancake style single or double carrier.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I keep mine in the pouch that came with my Gerber multi tool. Works great and if my shirt comes up nobody's the wiser.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought the mag/light pouch from CompTac when I got my Mtac. I love it....
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I wear Woolrich pants and shorts with the extra cargo pocket on both sides.  I keep my light and extra mags in the smaller, upper cargo pocket.  The pocket is just the right size to hold the light and mags oriented properly and it fits one double stack or two single stack mags along with the light just right.  After dark I add a second light to the pocket and move the mag to a Fobus paddle mag pouch.  Despite Fobus' reputation I find the mag pouches to work very well and they've held up just fine over the years.
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 7:07:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I use my pocket.  I havent found that perfect mag holder yet.  I was leaning toward Blackhawk, but dont like the waist band clip and I want to carry two spare mags.
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#25]
I built my own clip on mag carrier. Uses a steel clip for OWB carry. Works great and don't have to thread my belt through it and my pants.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 3:32:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I prefer Comp-Tacs kydex mag carriers sinc Blade-tech doesn't make the style I like anymore.

I use the Comp-Tacs as well, 8:00.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 7:19:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I just started carrying but I've been scheming to find somebody to build a custom pouch.  One that will hold my blackberry and an extra magazine.  The way I figure, nobody would ever notice if my cell phone holster was a bit wider or taller.
Link Posted: 5/10/2009 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#28]

I currently Comp-Tac and Blade-Tech single mag pouches.  The next ones I order will be Raven concealment.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 6:09:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I use a old buck knife carrier.
Quoted:
Short of throwing a magazine in my pocket, I'm not exactly sure what the best way to carry a spare mag or two is.  I just ordered a new MTAC, and now I'm going to need something to carry the magazine(s) in.

What do you recommend for a glock 9mm magazine?

Thanks,
Scott

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top