Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2008 7:48:52 PM EDT

Much like cholesterol, holsters build up over the years. The new Comp Tac Spartan is featured at the top of the heap

Over the past 10 years, something remarkable has happened in our country. Citizens are fighting to regain our Second Amendment rights, and we’re winning. You can now legally carry concealed in 39 states. This is a truly remarkable thing, as in the course of history it is rare for populations to regain rights once taken.

This wonderful and noble truth leads to some problems. Now that we can legally carry, a lot of us want to do so – and therein lies the rub.

Carrying a “real” gun is a pain in the – somewhere. Usually where you try to station your hog’s leg. I have carried big guns, small gun, Inside the Waistband (IWB), Outside the Waistband (OWB), front pocket and so forth and if there is one thing I believe it is that carrying a “real” gun is a pain.

Thankfully, holsters have evolved over the past few years.  My starting point, the original IWB Summer Special type holster leaves a lot to be desired regarding support, stability, and comfort.

Kicking it Summer Special style. If you can get past the bulk of the design, the lack of lateral support, and the inability to tuck in, it is great...

I thought I had found heaven when I found the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. Sparks holsters are made to last a lifetime, and the VM2 allows for tremendous stability, support, ability to reholster – it does almost everything well… “but”. While it can be converted to a “tuckable” IWB, it doesn’t work well as such for me in that format. If I’m not going to tuck in, a VM2 is often my choice, but I prefer to tuck my shirt in. I am already ugly, so I prefer to not look unkempt and sloppy.

Tons of support, very stable, metal band to keep the mouth open, and tremendous craftsmanship - but still a little thick, and doesn't tuck well

While the VM2 was good, my quest continued and I found the Comp – Tac C.T.A.C. Sweetness, and for a good long while, a CTAC with a G36 was my carry rig.  First, it is designed to be tuckable by design. Second, the clips come in a variety of options and you can actually use clips that tuck in behind your belt. Third, the CTAC blends leather and kydex – it bends where it needs to, and is firm where it should be… it is a great holster. Finally, the kydex just seems to work better with a Glock than anything else.

CTAC with a 1911. I would have pictured my G36 rig, but it is set up for a specific belt due to the hidden clips system

Last week, the best of both worlds arrived. The new Comp Tac Spartan is all that and a side of fries.

The Spartan marries leather and kydex. It supports the gun beautifully and can be adjusted to ride at almost any height and angle. It is as thin as it can be. It tucks even more easily than a CTAC.

This is one of those things that is so simple, yet so much better.

Another angle to show how the leather rides

If you are going to train with your gun, you *need* a holster that won’t collapse when you draw your weapon. In training and real life, you need to be able to reholster without looking like “a raccoon trying to open a bag of potato chips” (Smithism). The whole purpose of a holster is that we need a place to put the gun – and if you have taken it out, we will probably need to put it back.

I personally have a little extra me in the love handle area, and the feeling of pinching yourself between a steel gun and rigid holster just sucks. The Spartan has a large enough piece of leather that you don’t face this problem. You also won’t have to worry about very cold or very hot steel against your flesh. The kydex shell has adjustable tension, so you can make the draw as easy or the retention as tight as you deem necessary.

The model I got to play with was a prototype and for a Glock 19 and it worked very well for that gun. Many people much smarter than me consider the G19 to be an ideal carry gun, and in the Spartan I am carrying mine more comfortably than I ever have before in ANYTHING else.

I can’t wait to try one out for a Glock 36 or 1911 – I’ve got a custom bobtailed Titanium Commander being built that is just begging for a holster like this.

There is a more “deluxe” model available that doesn’t have anything exposed on the back – my basic model just has some moleskin covering the screw retainers.  Either way works, just depends on your personal taste.

The "high end" model -

Note, these are stock photos from CT

A pic of the back of the Spartan, also a stock photo. The Spartan looks similar on the front, but has the screw retainers exposed on the back. On mine, they are covered with moleskin and it is 100% comfortable.

All in all, I continue to be impressed with Comp Tac quality and innovation in general.

PS – if anyone at Comp Tac is listening, you need to make the Spartan for a P7M8. I’ll provide the model if you need one!

Edited to add - www.comp-tac.com
Link Posted: 1/9/2008 9:26:47 PM EDT
[#1]
wow, great review mr pangris...pls let us know how well the spartan holds up (and overall comfort level w/ longtime wear)
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 4:56:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the very informative, well written post.
I noticed that, in your pictures, you're wearing an undersized (In width) belt. Do you use an appropriate gunbelt when you CCW?
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 5:07:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Great writeup, I may have to try this out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the very informative, well written post.
I noticed that, in your pictures, you're wearing an undersized (In width) belt. Do you use an appropriate gunbelt when you CCW?

The person in the pics is a friend I roped into modeling. I couldn't get good pics of an IWB holster on myself. I was just trying to show reference for how the guns rode in the different holsters, etc.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Great write up!
Comp – Tac is a great company and makes a great holster.  I have used a CTAC for just about a year now and prefer it by far over anything else I have used.
It looks like the Spartan takes whats good from the CTAC and adds some leather just where its needed.
I am interested to hear more from you about the Spartan in the future!
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#6]
On other forums some people hae requested pics of a Spartan with Moleskin -

Link Posted: 1/12/2008 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
On other forums some people hae requested pics of a Spartan with Moleskin -

pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL827/1560122/9723711/298081594.jpg

was this an option, or is the moleskin back cover over the rivets now standard for the Spartan?;

thx
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I honestly don't know. I got mine very lightly used, and the moleskin was already there. I think I recall him saying they do offer it, but I'd suggest calling to get the exact details.
Link Posted: 1/12/2008 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#9]
personally i like my sky-ops IWB
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 1:01:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like you could use a more appropriate belt...
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 3:10:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I was about to say that...it looks like the belt is not up to par.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 3:30:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Love my bladetec IWB, albeit it is entirely Kydex, it is comfortable-but not tuckable.  Around here, untucked silk shirts/dress shirts is the style, so it works for me...but I have seen this holster, and it looks like a possible future purchase...
Link Posted: 1/13/2008 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That isn't me in the pics. THat is a buddy that was in my office that I recruited into a very short modeling career - didn't pay well, either.

The only purpose of the pictures was to show how they rode and how the guns sat in them.

Good point though - I wear a heavy 1.5" leather belt.
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a Galco IWB that works pretty well for the price.hock.gif
But I have been on the fence about some of the IWB holsters I've seen with the clips spread out more they look more comfertable and you have sold me.

just placed an order. thanks for the write up I should get mine in 2-3 weeks
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow.... I've heard good things about comp tac and VM II but decided to go with the blade tech IWB, however, when a new holster is in the budget, that will probably be the one I get.

Thanks for the review
Link Posted: 1/14/2008 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#16]
CompTac makes a good product. I have a Minotaur and I love it.........
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]
You touched on the  VMII, but mentioned "While it can be converted to a “tuckable” IWB, it doesn’t work well as such for me in that format."

I was about to order one w/ those clips.  What about this setup didn't work for you?
  *edit*  Thinking of selling yours ;)
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I just ordered a Minutar MTAC for my Sig, Should get it next week. One thing that I like about it, is I can order extra kydex shells for my different guns, and switch them out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I use a MTAC for my G19.  If feels like I am barely wearing it.  I give it two thumbs up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I use a MTAC for my G19.  If feels like I am barely wearing it.  I give it two thumbs up.

+1.  Heck, I got a body for my G20 as well and can carry that comfortably IWB with the MTAC.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#23]
At first I was pissed while reading this because when I ordered my MTAC 3 weeks ago, there was no Spartan model. After seeing the pics, I'm glad I spent the extra $20. I will forget about the extra money long before I forget the backside of that spartan.

Still looks nice but I'm glad I went with my MTAC.

Great review BTW.
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#24]
I might have to try this out. I have a CTAC with a G30 and the tuckable clips. I HATE the tuckable clips, they never stay on right (I wear the Wilderness Instructor belt) and the holster does not cover the back release and that digs into my side, I also covered the whole back with moleskin as it dug everywhere before that. It is ok with the mole skin, but I love the leather idea on the Spartan. Been looking for a new holster and will have to try this. I've tried to avoid the box full of holsters but it looks like it will catch up with me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#26]
tag....
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll tell you what. not only is the Minotaur Spartan Holster awsome. But Comp-tac is one amazing company to do business with. I ordered mine Sunday the 13th it prosessed with Comp-tac the 14th (I got an email) my Paypal went through the 15th (I got an email) they prossessed it and "started making it" (I got an email) they sent my order to shipping (I got an email) they shipped it (I got an email) all on the 15th. I had my order in my hands/on my hip on the 17th. I dont have real extensive experience with IWB but I have carried a Galco, and I know that this is a great holster both comfort and conceallable.

and it does come with mole skin to add to the back (but I heard some poeple got candyh
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I got my MTAC today, and so far it is great.  Very fast shipping time, I probably would have got it yesterday, had it not been MLK day.  They even put some smarties in the box for me!
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#29]
My VM2 set up isn't for sale - if I lost a few lbs, it would work better.

Weeks later, the Spartan is still wearing very well.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 6:17:55 AM EDT
[#30]
OST for later viewing.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 7:27:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 9:11:16 AM EDT
[#32]
My observasion: the pants come up higher than the top of the holster. It looks like you could get a ND if the pants bunch up and get in the Glock trigger guard.
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the great write up!  Have you any experience with the different clip designs that they offer (C, standard, J)?
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/22/2008 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#35]
I have been real impressed with the Comp-tac holsters.
Link Posted: 3/30/2008 2:43:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I got a Spartan for an XD and am not really crazy about it.  I wear at 3 oclock and when I sit, the bottom of the front clip pokes my leg.  I was thinking of trying the Infidel and getting the Gurka clip attachment.

They gave me a free sheet of moleskin.  I may add it as well and see how it does.

Oh, dont get the regular old J clips.  They suck IMHO.

They are fast and customer service oriented.  Ordered on a sunday night, first thing monday they sent me an email saying it was in production and by the end of the day I had an email saying it was shipping out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top