Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2011 1:42:12 PM EDT
hasn't happend to me, but i read a post, cant remember where, and the guy had a point about how expensive a gun to carry because if you were involved in a shooting, chances are the cops will confiscate the gun and there is no telling when you might get it back.  open and shut case, maybe soon, but 10 years of court and trials and experts and attorneys (ask me, i do accident investigation, expert witness stuff), and you may never see it again.

this had me thinking as i am very close to purchasing my new HG for EDC and if i have my way (with the wife) it will be pricy.

so?

what do you think about that?  carry the gun you love, and possibly lose it?  is your life worth the money you laid out for it? or is it a principle thing: gun gets confiscated and eventually "destroyed" (yeah, right, prolly end up in some cops house) or what?

or carry a $300 piece and not worry about it

my initial gut feel is carry the one you want, as the chances are not high you'll be in a shootout, and my life is certainly worth the coin i paid for it

i guess i answered my own question

also, why does the stinkin text box start jumping around when i get this far in the post, i cant even see what im typing...
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:44:26 PM EDT
[#1]
since the text box is all jumpy, and when i hit edit, it still does it, im taking out a new post to augment the other one...

i called both the sheriff and the city police where i live and they  both confirmed that yes, the gun will most likely be taken, adn who knows how long till you get it back

also called my homeowneres ins, and asked if it would be covered in that case, and no, only for peril (theft, fire, etc)

anyways....
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The most important part of carrying is to carry a handgun that you are comfortable with.  Do not consider price.  Think of the comfort factors:  comfort of carrying it concealed and comfort of your ability to shoot it safely and accurately.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy two.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#4]
When your life is at stake use the best not the best you think you can afford. Yes, your pistol might be held as evidence for years if there is a civil suit but so what. I could afford to have a thousand dollar gun taken if the gun was utterly reliable and suited my needs and saved my life once. I'd buy another one later.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen a few justified shootings where the firearm is placed in evidence for the foreseeable future and local firearm organizations step forward and purchase a new firearm for the affected person. The Omaha Nebraska Walgreens CCW shooting comes to mind off the top of my head.

I think the thing to worry about is not "Will I lose my beloved weapon" but "Will the weapon I have do the job needed in a crisis scenario to get me to the point that a new gun is the only thing I am worried about."
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 1:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I look at it from a safety standpoint. Much like airbags in a vehicle, they are very expensive to replace, but if they deploy during a collision and save you or loved ones from injury then they did their job and your life will continue. IMO same can be said for carrying a firearm for self defense, is the concern of losing a firearm more important of an issue, than what the purpose of the firearm is intended to do? An EDC shouldn't be a firearm that is a family heirloom or have  nostalgic ties to you. It should be considered a tool and should be considered replaceable if something were to happen.

IMO I wouldn't worry about it, get some training from various sources. Buy a backup firearm that is similar in shape and in the way it functions. So if the worst case scenario happens and that firearm is taken for evidence you will have a backup firearm that you can rely on and already have the proper training to fall back on.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]

my initial gut feel is carry the one you want, as the chances are not high you'll be in a shootout, and my life is certainly worth the coin i paid for it

^^^^^, Think about how much you spend on various insurance policies per year and get nothing sometimes. If the pistol saves your life, it's paid for, buy another. I don't have any high end pistols but multiple Glocks, so I'll just insert another in my holster
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I've carried Glocks in NPEs because I could drop them in the trash. I don't feel shy about carrying guns worth five grand. I would not carry a gun with sentimental value if I had another option.

Even in NPEs I never carried a gun that handicapped me for fear of it's value.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Carry the best gun for the job; the one in a bona-fide service caliber that is reliable and accurate you can shoot best.

Once a gun has saved your life it doesn't owe you any money.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Your life is worth whatever you're willing to spend on a carry gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:54:33 PM EDT
[#11]
all excellent replys and like i said, i think i answered my own question.  but yes, makes total sense.

thanks

what does NPE stand for??

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Who really cares?  I think saving your life or the life of another would put a 1k-2k gun into perspective.  You can always make more money.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Non permissive environment.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#14]
depends on how you are asking the question because you never specified what "the gun you love" is.

would i carry around a 5,000$ customized 1911?   nope, not when a simple 1000$ 1911 works just as well as the 5000$ gold plated one.

would i go out and buy a 200$ kel-tec as my one and only carry gun just because my "main" gun may be confiscated?  again...nope.  (and i do plan on getting a keltec or a ruger lcp for summer carry when clothing does not permit my XDSC...not bad mouthing them)

my 450$ XD is every bit as reliable as i expect from a CCW gun, and i wouldnt lose a wink of sleep over replacing a 450$ gun that saved my life or someone elses life.  i would probably think twice about my gun if i was currently carrying something in the 2,000+ range...but an XD (or glock, sig, etc... for that matter) isnt anything thats hard or terribly expensive to replace.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

When your life is at stake use the best not the best you think you can afford. Yes, your pistol might be held as evidence for years if there is a civil suit but so what. I could afford to have a thousand dollar gun taken if the gun was utterly reliable and suited my needs and saved my life once. I'd buy another one later.

To add to this. I'd rather feel 100% fighting with a gun I knew and was proficient with and absolutely lose 1000 dollars than another gun that  I was 95% with and didn't lose any money from it.
Getting your 700$ pistol taken is the least of you worries in a shooting.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Carrying an antique, or something that has a lot of personal value to you would probably not be the best bet.

For me, it's part of the overall consideration of a daily duty weapon. It's going to get some wear, it's going to get dirty, and it may get taken. So all that's figured into the equation. Obviously, the most important part is that you can shoot it well, and that it's reliable.

I used to carry one of my dad's old guns. It's not really worth a ton of money, but it is an antique and it has a lot of sentimental value. I've since started carrying a more modern weapon that would be easy to replace if it was taken. It's also more reliable and has more capacity.

Az
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm kind of a broke ass, so to me, even my 400 dollar Glock is a little spendy.  But, I trust it, and I'm accurate with it.  If I was to be forced to defend my life with it and it was temporarily taken from me, I would probably just go buy another within a day or two.  Then when my other glock returned home, that little fella would be glass cased as the tool that saved me...
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]
The cost of the handgun is immaterial compared to the cost of a lawyer.  I don't really worry about carrying an expensive gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Two is one...
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have seen a few justified shootings where the firearm is placed in evidence for the foreseeable future and local firearm organizations step forward and purchase a new firearm for the affected person. The Omaha Nebraska Walgreens CCW shooting comes to mind off the top of my head.

I think the thing to worry about is not "Will I lose my beloved weapon" but "Will the weapon I have do the job needed in a crisis scenario to get me to the point that a new gun is the only thing I am worried about."

Well said Jspence.  I was also the recipient of tremendous generosity here on Arfcom after my 1911 was taken into evidence.

Before the armed robbery, I had seen plenty of arguments for carrying a less expensive firearm and I did for a time, with the XD45 and the XD9sc.  They were both fine pistols that I'm sure would have gotten the job done.  When I was able to spring for the CBOB and put it through a reliability test, it became my favorite pistol and the one that I arguably shot the best with.  I figured that if my life was going to depend on it, I was going to use the best tool that I could afford that I knew would get the job done.  I also figured "what are the chances?" but knew if the time arrived, it was a tool that had done its job.

That doesn't mean that I haven't missed my favorite pistol due to sentimental reasons but the DW Valor that was given to me took most of the sting out of it.  FWIW, I should finally be getting my CBOB back in about a month or less.  (Approximately 1 year and 4 mos after the shootout)
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#21]
- dont carry an expensive gun or family heirloom
- carry a gun that works

I would not mind loosing a $400 G19 if it saved my life. It's a very small price to pay for being able to survive a nasty situation.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:24:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
depends on how you are asking the question because you never specified what "the gun you love" is.

i guess i meant the one that worked best for me.  not an antique or heirloom, or fancy collector.

great input guys!  im totally fine with carrying the one i like best.

thats interesting that organizations stepped up and helped get the shooter another gun.  hmmm.... nice.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#23]
If I used one of my 1911's that I've got $1700 into to protect myself and the police hold onto it for awhile, it's done it's job.

It will hurt and it will suck that I'd have to switch to a backup, but shit happens.

That's why I believe in doubling up on your carry gun, even if it is the most reliable pistol ever. The HK P30 has been torture tested with many, many, many thousands of rounds, but I'd still recommend getting 2 of them if a guy were to buy one for carry. Not necessarily because of part breakage, but for the very topic at hand. I've got 4 1911's and 3 of them are carry ready for this very reason. I'm starting to carry an M&P9 off and on and am trying to figure out how to get another one without the wife divorcing me...

Just remember, always have a spare. Spare mags and spare guns!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
...Then when my other glock returned home, that little fella would be glass cased as the tool that saved me...

great idea!  i hope none of us ever have to use it tho!

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:00:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Carry what works best for you because even if you never see your CCW again, it will be cheaper than the legal fees...and your life
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#26]
You only have one carry gun?  I've probably carried a dozen different ones over the years.  If one ends up in the evidence locker, I just grab something else out of the safe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I wanted to add something that gets overlooked 90% of the time. Losing the firearm temporarily or permanently is going to be the cheap side of a incident involving a firearm. The legal defense will be by far the most expensive part of the scenario. 9/10 this is the last aspect of the equation that people tend to ponder when they think of a SD/HD shoot. Even if you were not charged by the State DA, the civil lawsuit brought against you is what really tends to cause a lot of problems for the people involved.

Firearm $500-$2500 +
Legal representation 10K +
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#28]
another thing i just thought of, if you are put under investigation i believe they can suspend your CHL license cant they?  and can't you also be prohibited from purchasing additional firearms until the investigation is concluded?   if i recall one of the boxes on the application to buy a gun says "are you under investigation for any crimes" or something to that effect right?  im not sure cuz i honestly havent read one of the applications in many years.  hell i just bought another pistol today and i ment to read that but im so good at filling out the forms i dont need to read it :-(.  first question is yes i am purchasing for myself, the rest are no.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#29]
If youve been charged. Which doesn't happen without due process.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#30]
some of us think that 5 is one
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I suspect that in the event I had to use my CCW for self defense the loss of an $800 pistol would be the least of my concerns.

I'll carry whatever I shoot the best and whatever fits the situation best.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I suspect that in the event I had to use my CCW for self defense the loss of an $800 pistol would be the least of my concerns.

I'll carry whatever I shoot the best and whatever carries the best in a given situation.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:52:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I consider my defensive gun as a single use disposable item. If I get it back, that's a bonus.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Maybe it is because I am in the insurance business, but I consider a CCW and the cost for training as insurance.  I hope I never have to use it but if I do the premiums I paid will have been well worth it.  

FYI. since you called your insurance agent, you should know that your liability coverage won't do anything for you for defense or if you get sued by the guy that you have to shoot or his family.  If you think the gun is expensive just imagine the legal bills in that scenario.  The cost of the gun will seem like a pittance.  I talk to one of my carriers on a regular basis about adding this to their policy but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:14:49 AM EDT
[#36]
So if it costs me $1000 and saves my life, I'll make that deal any day of the week.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You only have one carry gun?  I've probably carried a dozen different ones over the years.  If one ends up in the evidence locker, I just grab something else out of the safe.

some of us dont have the luxury of "grabbing another one out of the safe"  we're lucky to have one.  (and my firing pin decided to break today - see future post, ill add link when i post it)

so, yeah, only one carry gun.  

LINK TO BROKEN CENTER PIN POST
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#38]
john wayne, why are there backwards bullets in your mags, im assuming there is only one, perhaps to indicate they are empty?

edit:
course if they were empty, it'd be obvious.  im confused then...
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:49:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
john wayne, why are there backwards bullets in your mags, im assuming there is only one, perhaps to indicate they are empty?

In a world of compromise,... some don't.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what????
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what????

It's a bit of an in-joke- a few years ago, H&K did a series of ads featuring phrases like the one you quoted; the problem was, the pictures had the mags loaded backwards... so JW decided to imitate them
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

what????

It's a bit of an in-joke- a few years ago, H&K did a series of ads featuring phrases like the one you quoted; the problem was, the pictures had the mags loaded backwards... so JW decided to imitate them

ah
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#43]
http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?79652-Advertisement-with-cartridges-inserted-backwards
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:44:41 PM EDT
[#44]
This is exactly why I own two gen2 Glock 22s.  That is my primary carry piece, and I just decided last year to pick up an additional one.

To answer the other half of your question, I would carry what I love to shoot and am proficient with, regardless of cost.  If the gun gets confiscated, chances are it was just used to save a life.  Can't put a price tag on that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:35:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I have 6 pieces suitable for carry. If you carry long enough, you'll amass a few for just that purpose.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

^^^^^, Think about how much you spend on various insurance policies per year and get nothing sometimes. If the pistol saves your life, it's paid for, buy another. I don't have any high end pistols but multiple Glocks, so I'll just insert another in my holster

What if the pistol was a vintage 1911a1 that belonged to his Grandfather? I would be reluctant about shooting a bad guy with it. And why should I worry about getting my heirloom if it's legal?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#47]
just carry a gun that works

if you are worried about your gun being "confiscated", you are worried about the wrong things; there are LOTS of other things you should be worried about during/post fight
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#48]
All the more reason to own more than one Glock.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#49]
After lawyer fees your handgun will only be 2% of the cost of the entire incident. You've got much more important things to be concerned about than a replaceable chunk of steel. Get your priorities in line.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#50]
hey thanks for all the replies.  i see the point.

while i cannot own 2 identical guns at this time, i WILL be carrying whatever my new purchase is, as it will replace the current old Star i have (which broke the firing pin yesterday).  I will keep the star and hopefully find a new pin, but yes, i will train with the new one and use for EDC.

like i said in the OP, i think i answered my question, and you all have totally confirmed it.

thanks again
mikey
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top