Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/15/2013 6:20:36 PM EDT
It is certainly priced to move at $399 http://centerfiresystems.com/rifle-vz58hc-str.aspx
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Thinking of ordering one, I'm assuming no accessories means no mag. Where's the best deal on magazines?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:18:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Wanted to pick one up..
it says no sale til age of 21, so does that mean I cant buy it? Stupid

/shrug, had my Yugo UF since 18, bought off J&G sales, it still functions flawlessly

always wanted a VZ but they were so damn expensive, since ive seen that one scene in behind enemy lines were the Bosnian gets blown to bits(I assume) and his rifle falls down in slo-mo...(where did the ammo go I just rewatched the scene?)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdc1fhiyJ0c
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:29:03 AM EDT
[#3]
At that price I'd be willing to take a chance with a Century built rifle...hopefully they last until I get back home.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I thought about it...time to talk my dad into buying it for me..

god damn, he is so anti-gun as well, we had so many arguments ever since I got my AK which was years ago and I still get shit like police called on me and constant fights if I take it out of the gun case

just gotta wait until he is in a good mood and show him my college grade scores that should keep him happy
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:00:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well I thought about it...time to talk my dad into buying it for me..

god damn, he is so anti-gun as well, we had so many arguments ever since I got my AK which was years ago and I still get shit like police called on me and constant fights if I take it out of the gun case

just gotta wait until he is in a good mood and show him my college grade scores that should keep him happy
View Quote

Wow
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Filled out everything to order clicked submit and got a sold out message
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one coming!  It will be my first VZ2008/58
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Does any one else remember seeing free shipping on this deal? or am I imagining things again.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does any one else remember seeing free shipping on this deal? or am I imagining things again.
View Quote

I thought so too.  CC fee and shipping totaled $32 for me.  Factor in another $30 for FFL fees, and the transaction costs are pushing $62.  All things considered, $462 is a pretty good price for a rifle that would easily sell for $500 on Armslist local.

Good to see that VZ mags are coming down in price, too.  Would have been really nice if they included even one!

Having never shot one of these, I am a bit apprehensive about buying anything from Century.  Not to be a brand snob, but I kind of feel like I just bought a slick looking Northface-knockoff from Walmart for $20.  Hopefully it won't have a sewer pipe barrel.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I thought so too.  CC fee and shipping totaled $32 for me.  Factor in another $30 for FFL fees, and the transaction costs are pushing $62.  All things considered, $462 is a pretty good price for a rifle that would easily sell for $500 on Armslist local.

Good to see that VZ mags are coming down in price, too.  Would have been really nice if they included even one!

Having never shot one of these, I am a bit apprehensive about buying anything from Century.  Not to be a brand snob, but I kind of feel like I just bought a slick looking Northface-knockoff from Walmart for $20.  Hopefully it won't have a sewer pipe barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be hesitant generally with a Century product. But these rifles were done right. Word is, since these builds are rated "difficult" Century had to contract the builds out. So the drunken monkeys didn't have their hands over it.

The barrels are these are brand new, US made barrels by Green Mountain. 16 inches or so in length (that's why they have removable muzzle devices).  They are also not chrome lined. The original Czech barrel length is about 15 1/2 inches and is chrome lined.  http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ . Green Mt. is known for excellent quality stuff. So no sewer pipe barrel.

You'll love it I'm sure.

I've got two Czechpoint/CSA 58's. If I had had the cash, I would have bought one of these too just for fun. The biggest differences in the Century guns versus the Czechpoint/CSA rifles is the barrel. Yes, it's a little longer than the original length barrels. But that makes it so that you don't need to have a permanently attached muzzle extension or muzzle device to not be under the NFA. And the safety goes in the wrong direction. I'm not sure what that's about.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]
My Century vz2008 came in from Centerfire Systems. It was born 8/01/2013 and on first inspection seems to be pretty nice.  
No magazine and there were shipping charges.

Finish is good - looks like a nice black parkerized finish and is even with no noticeable blemishes.
Rifle was oiled,,,, bore is clean with nice looking rifling. (no rust, no pits)
"beaver barf" handguards appear to be new or like new.
Folding stock - shoulders nice (may add some paracord or padding) - release button is a little stiff - stock locks solid.
Sights - appear to be in the "ballpark" at 25 yds.  Won't know till I get my mags and do some bench shooting.
Length and weight - with the stock folded it is a really compact package (can fire with stock folded) - with stock open feels real nice.  I'm only 5' 7" so LOP is fine for me.  The rifle seems lighter but more solid that the AK Maadi I had earlier this year.
Muzzle threads are RH.
I'll add more info once I've got to fling a few rounds,,, but so far, I like it.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/bugboy449/CIMG0008_zps312db1b0.jpg

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/bugboy449/CIMG0006_zps3d9cba66.jpg

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i344/bugboy449/CIMG0002_zps243e9bb7.jpg
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Did you get it at the $399 price? Wished i had heard about the deal when they still had some in stock. Got mine from JG almost a year ago and it came with  slight rusting in the bore, but it cleaned out. Disappointing that they didnt oil it though. Also was missing spring pin that holds the mag release and bolt hold open pin in the receiver. Got one from apex gun parts and now all is well. Mine came with left hand muzzle break threads which was extremely disappointing. Corwin arms is selling the actual Czech special forces muzzle break kit for the VZ and i suggest you pick one up. They will ship to the U.S.A. They also have them on EBay .  You will love your rifle so much more with a good break.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Did you get it at the $399 price? Wished i had heard about the deal when they still had some in stock. Got mine from JG almost a year ago and it came with  slight rusting in the bore, but it cleaned out. Disappointing that they didnt oil it though. Also was missing spring pin that holds the mag release and bolt hold open pin in the receiver. Got one from apex gun parts and now all is well. Mine came with left hand muzzle break threads which was extremely disappointing. Corwin arms is selling the actual Czech special forces muzzle break kit for the VZ and i suggest you pick one up. They will ship to the U.S.A. They also have them on EBay .  You will love your rifle so much more with a good break.
View Quote

Yes, I got in at $399.00. As far as I can tell,,, my rifle came complete, oiled and is pretty nice.  I sure an experienced vz58 guy could find some problems though.
I'm waiting on some magazines to arrive then I'll go out and see where it is hitting.  After that I'll decide what I'm going to do about muzzle devices, optics and etc. I'll probably get the Slovakian style muzzle  brake from Bonesteel http://bonesteelarms.com/VZ-58-Slovakian-Style-Muzzle-Brake-CNC-23263.htm  The Corwin offering is a little to pricey for me.

I was hoping the mags would have been here already,,,, but no such luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#14]
While i do suggest owning one of those, they are by no means as good as it gets. Also the one iv got produces a tremendous fireball larger than any rifle iv ever shot.  They do help with cheek bite but it wont make it go away. The one i use now does. From what iv read the special forces break is what they currently use so would expect it to be as good as it gets.  Optics are a tricky proposition as the spent casings thrown up at the 1 o'clock position limiting you to very short optics like red dot.

One thing is for sure, you will love that thing. Iv let people shoot mine who dislike the AK. After they dumped a mag and handed it back to me they  asked  "where can i get one"
Mine shot 1.5" groups at 100yrds  out of the box with cheap tula. I expect you will have similar results.

Some recommended reading :  The vz58 gremlin and Strange wear after 50 rounds

and be aware that century's vz build uses a .308 barrel and 7.62x39 is typically .311-.310 size bullet. Iv heard stories relating to ruger mini 30s that this caused the barrel to wear really fast and they would go from 2in groups to 5in groups in 1000rds.  I dont have that many rounds through mine yet and havent seen a drop in accuracy. Something to be aware of though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
While i do suggest owning one of those, they are by no means as good as it gets. Also the one iv got produces a tremendous fireball larger than any rifle iv ever shot.  They do help with cheek bite but it wont make it go away. The one i use now does. From what iv read the special forces break is what they currently use so would expect it to be as good as it gets.  Optics are a tricky proposition as the spent casings thrown up at the 1 o'clock position limiting you to very short optics like red dot.

One thing is for sure, you will love that thing. Iv let people shoot mine who dislike the AK. After they dumped a mag and handed it back to me they  asked  "where can i get one"
Mine shot 1.5" groups at 100yrds  out of the box with cheap tula. I expect you will have similar results.

Some recommended reading :  The vz58 gremlin and Strange wear after 50 rounds

and be aware that century's vz build uses a .308 barrel and 7.62x39 is typically .311-.310 size bullet. Iv heard stories relating to ruger mini 30s that this caused the barrel to wear really fast and they would go from 2in groups to 5in groups in 1000rds.  I dont have that many rounds through mine yet and havent seen a drop in accuracy. Something to be aware of though.
View Quote

Whoa -- are you saying that Century consciously builds these rifles with .308 barrels??  That wouldn't be even remotely logical considering they source true 7.62x39 barrels (albeit, US made, non-chrome-lined) for most of their other AK builds (such as their M70AB2).  Why on earth would they select a different barrel?  Taking that one step further, why would a barrel manufacturer make a .308 barrel that was profiled for a rifle that is almost exclusively 7.62x39 (yes, I'm aware there are 5.56 VZ's)?

Unless you have proof that these builds are consistently made with a .308 barrel, I'm going to have to call shenanigans.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I have confirmed that mine has a 308 bore. I had heard elsewhere on here that they came that way so i checked mine. Dont know why they did it, suspect it was for cost reasons. Another question is why would the build some with left hand muzzle treads and others with right hand. Century doesnt have a good reputation for a reason
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have confirmed that mine has a 308 bore. I had heard elsewhere on here that they came that way so i checked mine. Dont know why they did it, suspect it was for cost reasons. Another question is why would the build some with left hand muzzle treads and others with right hand. Century doesnt have a good reputation for a reason
View Quote

Damnit Century, can't you do anything right?  Oh well.  For $400, the worst case scenario is that I have a cool looking blaster.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:52:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Since I don't have a Century 58, I can't say anything on the barrels. But if It is the case, I'm not surprised.

Century had keyholing issue with their barrels on some of their Tantals. That was because they were/are using .223 diameter barrels (5.56x45/.223) instead of .221 diameter barrels for the 5.45x39 round. I believe the newer Tantals have corrected these issues. The funniest thing was that some folks were reporting that Century told them that the rounds were "supposed to keyhole for maximum effectiveness".
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:47:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Since I don't have a Century 58, I can't say anything on the barrels. But if It is the case, I'm not surprised.

Century had keyholing issue with their barrels on some of their Tantals. That was because they were/are using .223 diameter barrels (5.56x45/.223) instead of .221 diameter barrels for the 5.45x39 round. I believe the newer Tantals have corrected these issues. The funniest thing was that some folks were reporting that Century told them that the rounds were "supposed to keyhole for maximum effectiveness".
View Quote

Yeah, that whole situation was pretty ridiculous - and I stayed the hell away from those Tantals.  I've heard nothing but good things about the Century VZ's, so I was hoping they got this one right.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, that whole situation was pretty ridiculous - and I stayed the hell away from those Tantals.  I've heard nothing but good things about the Century VZ's, so I was hoping they got this one right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd bet you'll be happy with it. I would have picked up one of these if to go along with my two Czechpoint 58s if I had the cash. I can't say I've ever heard anything extremely negative about these. The barrel thing may or may not be an issue.

Talking with others that have had them. I believe they all have been pretty happy with them. They certainly aren't as nice as the Czechpoint ones. But they're also half/less than half the cost of one. I do find it strange that the Century guns have the safety go in the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a czechpoint vz58 and my old man has a century vz2008. They both have at least a 1,000 round down the pipe and I don't notice one bit of difference between the two in terms of accuracy or function.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I just slugged the bore of my recently built and purchased vz2008. It "appears" that my bore is .308.  It was my first time slugging a barrel and only have calipers for measuring.

I don't foresee any problems.
Page AK-47 » VZ58
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top