Link Posted: 6/11/2008 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
$?
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
any plans for a 10rd version?
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 12:26:36 AM EDT
[#3]
How about a no-nonsense quality comparison?  Are these in line with Bulgarian waffles or Pro-mag?  Matter of fact, are these MADE by pro-mag for TAPCO?  Do you have plans to make a 5.45 version?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Front/rear steel re-enforced locking lugs?
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 12:29:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I have yet to find a polymer ak mag that would hold up to real use that did not have steel lugs.

I'll give 1 a try, here's hoping
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 8:06:13 PM EDT
[#9]
if you can make a 5.45 version in that price range that are quality mags, I'll take a dozen!
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I am happy that  Tapco has decided to make an AK magazine, but it should have metal re-enforcement in the front and rear locking lug.  I've seen the commercial Bulgarian mags that don't have metal reenforcement  break, My .02
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Make a 20 rounder, for $15 or less and i will buy 10
Link Posted: 6/18/2008 7:08:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but the fact that you can drive a pickup truck over it doesn't say a hell of a lot about how well it will work. My thought is that if you are not going to make them the way the soviets do, I remain unconvinced and would not bite at any price until you had sold gobs of them with essentially no complaints..

Good luck, though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#13]
These gonna be strong enough to do some AK pushups off of, like Sonny P or Gabe Suarez?

Polytech
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 7:44:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Push-up using the AK's Mag to support your weight by gripping the ak at front hand guards and at stock.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Make these for the Saiga .308 in 20 or 25 round capacity, please.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 2:01:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Damiean] [#17]
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice

I can only imagine what people were thinking when you asked them to take a picture of you doing that

Look forward to seeing the mags
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll bite.

-REad
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Paulie771:
if you can make a 5.45 version in that price range that are quality mags, I'll take a dozen!

Same!
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 11:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bloodsport2885] [#21]
If its not proprietary info, what plastic is used and is there any reinforcing material such as nylon or fiberglass fiber used in production?  These are visually different from your old mags, but how are they different as far as molding, materials, spec and variance in dimensions in quality control?  If you don't wish to give specifics on your plastics formula its understandable but maybe you could use general terms?

They look pretty good to me but many of those on the AK side are purists and demand that accessories be made to soviet/eastern block specs and nothing else will do.  While I'm finding more stuff to hang off my AR I'm also finding ways to make my AK's as basic and true-to-original as possible while playing the 922 game.  I would buy one to test it first like all my mags.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 9:41:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PolyTechKID] [#22]

Originally Posted By Damiean:
AK Mag Pushup

www.tapco.com/html/images/ak_pushup.jpg

Not sure how often you need to do pushup's off your magazine... but the TAPCO mag will do it.

And I also posted another vid of the magazine firing on this page

Its a simple test of strength  Now it appears that I eat a little more beef than  you do damiean, when I happen to snap one, will I have to "go pound sand" or would something like that get replaced under warranty?

Polytech
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#24]
After many sales if they are reliable enough I will definatly buy some. Nice easy way to add 3 compliance parts to an AK.
Link Posted: 6/29/2008 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Availability update?
Link Posted: 6/30/2008 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By Paulie771:

I have to agree. I'm thinking about buying a Polish Tantal and readily available quality mags would be a huge plus for me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2008 7:41:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Those Mags look great, I hope 20 rounders will be made also.  I would like to know how durable are the mags at the stress points, such as the spine and the front where the bullet tip would face inside the mag.  The video is great but can you also shoot the mag then try to use it to see if it will still function?
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice video's Damiean,
I missed the response to 5.45x39.....I have found that often the magazine designed and advertized for .223 also works quite well for the 5.45.  Your tests certainly show that the vehicles caused no damage but my proof of durability is wheather or not they cycle reliably and if I am able to destroy them or not......and I am not afraid to pay to find out.  Tapco has a good reputation......so do I.......I can break almost anything or at least test them to the limit....LOLOLOL...........
I will be watching for the release of the item.
llc
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By Damiean:
AK Mag Pushup

www.tapco.com/html/images/ak_pushup.jpg

Not sure how often you need to do pushup's off your magazine... but the TAPCO mag will do it.

And I also posted another vid of the magazine firing on this page
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 3:45:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Let me jump in here and say that I'd also like to see a 5.45 version.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 9:33:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Melendez402] [#33]
Hmmmmm...nice mags. How much?
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Please make some 20 round Saiga 308 mags............
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 12:56:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By ZedsDeadBaby:
Please make some 20 round Saiga 308 mags............

HAH! +1!

-REad
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:35:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Forster:
I have yet to find a polymer ak mag that would hold up to real use that did not have steel lugs.

I'll give 1 a try, here's hoping

Same here.  I had a novice shooter trying to insert the Promag .223 AK mag and it broke the front tab.  There is a reason for why steel inserts are incorporated.  Even Galil orlite has some sort of steel wire inserts on the front tab.

But I am sure they would be fine range mags.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By jungp:

I had a novice shooter trying to insert the Promag .223 AK mag and it broke the front tab.  

If we're creating a "wish list" I'd like to add a decent quality .223 magazine.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 9:33:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkEarth] [#39]

Originally Posted By kevin_tapco:
During our testing and evaluation pre-production phase, we did not witness any wear or damage to the composite locking lugs that would degrade the performance of the magazine.

We determined that any benefits received from adding steel lugs would be outweighed by the increase in cost and difficulty in manufacturing.  The magazine is extremely reliable and will be offered at a price that is still affordable to all shooters.

All TAPCO manufactured products have a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for the questions and let us know your thoughts.

Instead of cutting corners and making excuses why not offer a more robust product?

The original designers didnt use steel reinforcements for their health. Neither were they recouping any cost by selling them.    They did it because it is necessary to the design.

Im sure the commies could have offered a "lifetime warranty" to their soldiers, but they would be dead by then now wouldnt they have?

Lets see,  18 bucks for a plastic mag with no steel where it counts or 18 bucks for TWO real AK magazines, made the right way?      

Also,  dont we already have plastic lugged, cheap, crappy AK mags that nobody uses?  I seen a huge bin of them for sale at the last funshow.

Im saying you guys are vying for a chunk of the FUD market thats about to go nutz over political heat, and you dont really give a crap if these things are any good.  Just as long as you can sell truckloads of them to people that are afraid they'll miss out.

Just my .02   Hey you asked!

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 11:30:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By DarkEarth:

Originally Posted By kevin_tapco:
During our testing and evaluation pre-production phase, we did not witness any wear or damage to the composite locking lugs that would degrade the performance of the magazine.

We determined that any benefits received from adding steel lugs would be outweighed by the increase in cost and difficulty in manufacturing.  The magazine is extremely reliable and will be offered at a price that is still affordable to all shooters.

All TAPCO manufactured products have a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for the questions and let us know your thoughts.

Instead of cutting corners and making excuses why not offer a more robust product?

The original designers didnt use steel reinforcements for their health. Neither were they recouping any cost by selling them.    They did it because it is necessary to the design.

Im sure the commies could have offered a "lifetime warranty" to their soldiers, but they would be dead by then now wouldnt they have?

Lets see,  18 bucks for a plastic mag with no steel where it counts or 18 bucks for TWO real AK magazines, made the right way?      

Also,  dont we already have plastic lugged, cheap, crappy AK mags that nobody uses?  I seen a huge bin of them for sale at the last funshow.

Im saying you guys are vying for a chunk of the FUD market thats about to go nutz over political heat, and you dont really give a crap if these things are any good.  Just as long as you can sell truckloads of them to people that are afraid they'll miss out.

Just my .02   Hey you asked!

You were not breast fed when you were a baby.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#41]
More "junk" from the Tapco Fairy. Buy the Circle 10 mags instead.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah, I don't really get this one either.  This seems to complete directly with the ProMag waffles, but at a higher price?  It would seem that if someone could make a US mag with the metal inserts, that would be the bee's knees.

Whether the reinforced lips are necessary is apparently arguable, but adding them can't cost that much more, and it would put Tapco in their own segment of the US-made mag market.  But then again, if it puts the price up over $20, that's pretty much the kiss of death.

Maybe Lancer will come out with some AK mags.

take care,
Tec

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe the key here is to keep the design as-is and sell 'em for less than $10?
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#44]
The key is probably buy one and give it a tryh..llc
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I know the hive mind here at the AK side of arfcom is to bash Tapco.
Looks to me like Tapco may be trying to change the perception.  Too bad we've got the contingent who has their mind made up and isn't willing to even wait for something to be released to the public before claiming that it'll be junk.  If they come out, and they're junk so be it, but to not even give 'em a chance is just... wrong.

I don't have any Tapco stuff (yet) and have no relationship to the company but I'm always willing to give new products a chance.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By MoonDancer:
Looks to me like Tapco may be trying to change the perception.  Too bad we've got the contingent who has their mind made up and isn't willing to even wait for something to be released to the public before claiming that it'll be junk.  If they come out, and they're junk so be it, but to not even give 'em a chance is just... wrong.

I don't have any Tapco stuff (yet) and have no relationship to the company but I'm always willing to give new products a chance.
That is how good products get noticed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By MoonDancer:

I don't like all tapco products, but I do like a lot of them. The T6 stock is awesome for AKs, and the G2 FCG is excellent and cheap! I had one of their Galil forearms on my Saiga 12 and it was great. Swirched it out for a Tromix one though..

They have great customer service also. They gave me a free subscription to Guns And Ammo just for buying their products.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:38:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Try the product before you bash it. I've used their plastic/polymer AR furniture in combat and it held up as well as issue gear. If you are stuck on metal only mags, they why even bother posting here? Just buy your metal mags and go about your life.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:51:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Damiean] [#49]
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#50]
How about taking pre-orders and giving your AR15.COM people a deal?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » New AK Products
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top