Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2010 5:28:31 PM EDT
After reading several positive reviews about these, I wanted one. This would be my first milled AK.  I decided Henderson Defense would be my best choice, as they offer their "certified" service and are CA friendly.

I ordered through there website and sent an e-mail to Matt.  I requested matching laminate wood, and to pick me a nice one.  Out of the 5 they had, he e-mailed back that he thought I got the nicest one.

It arrived at my dealers shop and had excellent laminate wood.  The finish was your typical Century Parkerized.  The grip was some BFPU Romy G.  I already had an extra polish Orange bakelite PG, so I wasn't concerned. It also had a cleaning kit and a nice bayo.  The only problem is the back of the bayo isn't wide enough to fit onto the barrel?

This rifle comes with a slant brake installed. I've heard the barrel at the end is longer than it should be and a muzzle nut will be too short to completely cover the end of the barrel.  I had purchased a US made barrel nut and a cleaning rod in anticipation of picking-up this rifle.  I've also read the cleaning rods will be too long to fit properly due to the way they apply the bullet guide rivet (hope I got that right?).

I've read some people have shortened the end of the barrel.  I'm not that handy. After trying to devise a washer/spacer to fit between the front sight post and the back of the muzzle nut (while it's flush with the front of the barrel), I decided to just cut-down an extra slant brake I had and use the back end as a spacer.  I grounded out the threads (as it would not screw all the way down), and just used it as a spacer/washer.

I also had to cut down the cleaning rod.  Both the rod and muzzle nut I had refinshed earlier in the week using a dark park spray and bake offered by Brownells.  It matched fairly well.

The wood didn't  match very well.  The rear stock was lighter than the front handguards.  The wood looked really good, and I didn't feel it really needed to be sanded.  I hit it with cherry chestnut stain trying to darken-up the rear stock and give it a little more orange. I than added two coats of spray urethane gloss.  

These are some of the issues I've read about these guns and how I dealt with them.  Hopefully, it can help others.

Overall, I am very impressed with this rifle.  I really like the way it turned out.  Can't wait to shoot it.

Here's the finished product.

Link Posted: 10/12/2010 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#1]
That is REALLY NICE!  That is what I'd like to have if I got an AK.

Nice work with the wood, looks great.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd jump on it if they blued it and chrome lined the barrel. I wonder why they don't include the original FCG?
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats, I have always liked those rifles.  I especially like the KBK GN 60 (grenade launcher) clone version of them.  Either way, nice rifles for the price.
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I picked mine up yesterday and it is very nice as well.  I plan on firing it just as soon as possible, and am hoping that Century did not have enough of a role in its building to f#ck it up.  It is put together very solidly and the front sight base is straight up and down, which I was concerned about.

More later after I have run it a bit.
Link Posted: 10/15/2010 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Finally put some rounds through it.  Only 40, but it worked flawlessly.  It was AK accurate.  Shot to the right for me, but it seems all my AK's shoot to the right a little (I'm a lefty)?  

Here's some more candy.

Link Posted: 10/15/2010 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Great pics!
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Very nice rifle...

Can you provide the info on the proper length of the cleaning rod now that you've cut yours to fit? - and/or what larger size to start with if Numrich doesn't stock the exact size?

I assume you went with a barrel nut over the slant brake for authenticity, is that assumption correct?

Anything else I should consider having ready?, I did place an order for one with Henderson.

Your review sold me, as I've been seeking another AK but wanted something unique, but not ridiculously priced.

Thank you.

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Very nice rifle...

Can you provide the info on the proper length of the cleaning rod now that you've cut yours to fit? - and/or what larger size to start with if Numrich doesn't stock the exact size?

I assume you went with a barrel nut over the slant brake for authenticity, is that assumption correct?

Anything else I should consider having ready?, I did place an order for one with Henderson.

Your review sold me, as I've been seeking another AK but wanted something unique, but not ridiculously priced.

Thank you.

Just start with a standard size AK cleaning rod (available at Copes Distributing).  From there, insert it.  It will probably be too long.  Figure out how much to remove.  I first removed the treaded section, and than a little more.

Yes, a muzzle nut for authenticity.

You may want to pick-up a Polish bakelite PG and Polish Sling from Apex.  Here's a link to the Polish parts page.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/index.php/cPath/21_86

The Bayo mine came with didn't fit.  Don't know if my barrel diameter is too big?  It also looks like a scrubbed Bugarian bayo.  I ordered a Polish one from Copes for $20.

After I cleaned my Polish up and re-did the wood, it's one of the nicest AK's I've ever seen.  

Hope you get a nice one.

Here's a pic of an original Polish milled (probably in Iraq).

Link Posted: 10/17/2010 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I see these being referred to as the Kbk-AK, and being fairly true to the original AK.  Googling returns results looking like your gun.

I hope you next bayo fits, and it isn't due to the U.S. barrel being out of the original spec.

Appreciate the info.

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
these take the type 1 bayonet. and to be correct the are supposed to have a wood pg a with the metalpart on the the top of it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:20:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
these take the type 1 bayonet. and to be correct the are supposed to have a wood pg a with the metalpart on the the top of it.

Found this on the net, not sure if it's correct?

I've also seen these at Copes, but again, I'm not sure if it would be correct either?

Apex kit.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a FYI, received mine and I'm very pleased.  I was seeking a unique AK, one that was worth investing in - and your review made me take a good look at these.

The action is super smooth, the quality is very good.  The milled receiver is virtually flawless with no tool marks at all.  Even my local gun shop owner was impressed with the value for the money.  Milled like a real AK, finished much like a real 1960s AK - for the $629 asking price I feel it was a very fair deal.

If your seeking a milled AK, this one is a winner.  J&G offers them for a little less at $589, but I felt the "certified AK" from Henderson was worth the extra price - perfectly straight sights, and a squared away gun.

Oh, and the bayonet fits too...

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just a FYI, received mine and I'm very pleased.  I was seeking a unique AK, one that was worth investing in - and your review made me take a good look at these.

The action is super smooth, the quality is very good.  The milled receiver is virtually flawless with no tool marks at all.  Even my local gun shop owner was impressed with the value for the money.  Milled like a real AK, finished much like a real 1960s AK - for the $629 asking price I feel it was a very fair deal.

If your seeking a milled AK, this one is a winner.  J&G offers them for a little less at $589, but I felt the "certified AK" from Henderson was worth the extra price - perfectly straight sights, and a squared away gun.

Oh, and the bayonet fits too...

Glad your happy. I've had great service from HD.

Pics?

I ended-up ordering a Polish Bayo for mine from Copes and it fits.  Don't know why the Bulgy bayo it came with didn't?
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:02:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Edited to add pics...
My other 2 AKs are special: a new/clean Arsenal SGL31, and a Draco AK Pistol with million dollar custom wood furniture.  Those two look like nice clean AKs - which means they don't really look like true AKs.  That was the reason for this one - to show the original AK in its milled, but raw form.  To dress it too much is to ruin its  character.  This is why I'm conflicted with the furniture - its nice for an AK, but not finished like it could be.  I'm leaning toward leaving it the way an orginal AK should be.
In any case, the raw product was worth the price of admission - and upgrades required are few and purely optional.
––––––––––

Well, I ended up staining the furniture and losing some of that raw AK appeal.  It came out nice, but maybe too nice.  Anyway, here it is....

Edited pics added:

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Bump for pics added above.
I used a 2/1 ratio of Minwax Water-Based Amercan Walnut (dark brown) to Rosewood (very red) stain (to match the upper fore end which I did not alter, then a couple coats of Satin Clear Coat.  I opted to not create a reddish gun, and just bring out and match the colors in the existing wood.  The original color was the same, except there was striping/woodgrain that was extreme in contrast - there were very dark areas against very light areas.  I essentially brought the light grain up and darkened it to match the dark areas.
I did buy the Chinese pistol grip above, but stripped it (too orange to match my theme) then finished to match the rest.
This was my first time doing any kind of gun furniture refinishing, I did some basic research, and am pleased with the results - except that the wood now looks like a coffee table rather than an AK.  It works, but only because the milled receiver and the rest of the gun is so clean - so the whole finished firearm has a classy look to it.  It is a departure from the raw angry look it had on arrival.  I only wish I had taken a before picture, oh well...
My new barrel nut and cleaning rod are still enroute, I used the rod from my Draco AK Pistol (it fits but is actually too short) in the meantime for pics.
Perhaps when I get some time I'll research where I bought that Draco cleaning rod and post here so folks don't have to cut standard rods to fit.

Link Posted: 10/30/2010 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good.

The workmanship on these truely make it the best deal around right now.

I might have to buy another and do a red stain.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:17:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Just ordered one from J & G
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Gonna need pics when you get it.

Do you know if it's the grenade launcher (KBK GN 60) version or not?  Just wondering if they give you the option of which version you get.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gonna need pics when you get it.

Do you know if it's the grenade launcher (KBK GN 60) version or not?  Just wondering if they give you the option of which version you get.

I don't know. I requested a handpick for ten bucks. Just asked for matching laminate furniture if possible. fingers crossed.

In a nutshell, what are the differences I'll see whether it's the GL version or not? Is one more desirable?
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 2:36:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Good luck with your orders, I think you'll be pleased.  The quality of the latest receiver machining is very good/excellent compared to early versions.

I regret not taking a before pic, and I stained the furniture to match which changed the look.

Here is a "finished" pic of mine, with the included bayonet.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't know. I requested a handpick for ten bucks. Just asked for matching laminate furniture if possible. fingers crossed.
In a nutshell, what are the differences I'll see whether it's the GL version or not? Is one more desirable?

Differences are minor but immediately recognizable if you know what to look for.  Gas valve on the gas block and recoil pad attachment points on the butt stock.
See this thread here, I posted a pic of one and Merkava posted another.   Tankdriver also posted some good pics of the GL kit associated with the rifle.  See this thread here to see the various GL-associated parts on the rifle.
When I was in the market for one of these rifles (I bought a milled M70 instead), I was searching for the GL version because I wanted to get the GL kit to go with the rifle.
Apex has the kit minus the grenades, it's kinda pricey.

Link Posted: 12/13/2010 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Ah shit, now I want one...
Link Posted: 12/13/2010 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ah shit, now I want one...

Same here! I like my Euro AKs but I just snagged a mint Polytech post-89/pre-94 ban-config that I tripped over at the local store..
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I handled one of these today at a shop in Birmingham, I was impressed by the fit & finish, not your typical Century rifle. Big thumbs up, anyone considering a first AK I think this would be a nice option, a lot nicer than a WASR but not nearly as expensive as an Arsenal or most other milled AK's out there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good luck with your orders, I think you'll be pleased.  The quality of the latest receiver machining is very good/excellent compared to early versions.

I regret not taking a before pic, and I stained the furniture to match which changed the look.

Here is a "finished" pic of mine, with the included bayonet.

I like that, what color stain did you use?
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#26]
I actually detailed the stains above several posts.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I actually detailed the stains above several posts.

My bad thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Pulled this out of the safe again today.  

There's just no way to describe the quality of the polish parts on these over other kits/AK's I've seen.  

Wow is this rifle nice.
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:32:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree, and with upgraded furniture it really makes the AK look classy.  There are many looks to AKs - mean, ugly, battle worn - but classy isn't typically associated with the AK.

I only wish I took before pictures, I thoroughly enjoyed working on this project and it came out looking better than I had hoped.

And Dump1567, thank you for turning me on to these - I enjoy special guns and this milled model was affordable and is quite the looker.

I suspect your "mini-review" has helped sell a large quantity of these, and I don't see disappointed owners.

Link Posted: 1/20/2011 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#30]
You guys both did great with those rifles. I have this one on my radar too.

Hedonist, how did you color in the lettering so perfectly??
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:51:50 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Commonly called a "grease pencil" or "china marker".  $1.99, will last about a lifetime.  You just press the waxy tip into the depressions to get the color in and wipe off excess with a Q-Tip or rag.

Good for taking pictures where you want to highlight the markings, but not good for a firearm you shoot often because heat or solvents will make the markings run. When that happens, just wipe it off and redo - or just forget about it.  I use it for pictures, but overall it's not a permanent solution like paint and a steady hand.

It's easily applied and removed where paint just isn't easily applied, or removed.

Link to Midway

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Commonly called a "grease pencil" or "china marker".  $1.99, will last about a lifetime.  You just press the waxy tip into the depressions to get the color in and wipe off excess with a Q-Tip or rag.

Good for taking pictures where you want to highlight the markings, but not good for a firearm you shoot often because heat or solvents will make the markings run. When that happens, just wipe it off and redo - or just forget about it.  I use it for pictures, but overall it's not a permanent solution like paint and a steady hand.

It's easily applied and removed where paint just isn't easily applied, or removed.

Link to Midway

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/medium/696/696090.jpg

Makes sense.
i'll stick to refinishing the wood.

My rifle is on order. I'll post before and after pics.
I see no reason to leave the wood looking shoddy on a milled rifle.
I'm thinking of using tung oil if I can do it in a way to keep the 3 wooden pieces consistent.

Had Ahrends make me some rovolver grips treated with tung oil, love the feel of the wood.
Maybe, we shall see.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#33]
A local dealer quoted me $650 on one of these coming straight from the distributor.  This seems like a good price (especially for this particular dealer)

The Century name has me put off though.  How likely is the front sight going to be tilted off axis?  Also, there is no verbage that would suggest chrome lined.  Is this how they come?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

A local dealer quoted me $650 on one of these coming straight from the distributor.  This seems like a good price (especially for this particular dealer)

The Century name has me put off though.  How likely is the front sight going to be tilted off axis?  Also, there is no verbage that would suggest chrome lined.  Is this how they come?

Some have been said to be chrome-lined, but don't count on it.  It doesn't have to be chrome-lined to be both an AK and a good shooter.  Just don't shoot corrosive, and if you do - just maintain it like a non-chromed barrel and it should outlast you.

As far as canted sights - I haven't heard anyone complain.  Mine were perfect.  The overall build quality is pretty excellent - I'm thinking the machine shop (ATM - "About Time Machining") is looking to make a good reputation for themselves.  The quality of the actual mill work has improved substantially from the earliest receivers where there were obvious circular tool marks left from the cutters.  Mine has absolutely no tool marks.  The website for ATM would make one think that they were the ones completing the guns rather than TCM ("The Century Monkeys").

You should be pleased with what you get - it's a darn sweet milled AK for a very good price.  Remember, my pics were taken after I stained and clear coated the furniture - I didn't take before pics, but the stock is laminated which gives them a high contrast look where very dark grain alternates against very light - a "wild" look.

Also, milled AK furniture isn't interchangeable with stamped AKs - so take care when deciding what route to take if refinishing.

It has become my favorite AK, and possibly my favorite rifle in my collection - so either the rest of my collection sucks, or there's something about this gun that is inspiring.  I think the later.

Buy one, and make sure the bayonet is included.
The above is just my opinion, and I invite others to offer their experience for contrast.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Henderson Defense was selling these also.  You can probably call them and have them hand pick a good one for you. They check for things like mag wobble and canted front sights.  That's what I did and was extremely pleased.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Henderson Defense was selling these also.  You can probably call them and have them hand pick a good one for you. They check for things like mag wobble and canted front sights.  That's what I did and was extremely pleased.

Henderson Defense is here in my hometown.
Great outfit. Too bad they are out of stock right now.

Picked mine up today. Very impressive.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#37]
What is attached to the trigger guard?  Something to guide the mag?
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What is attached to the trigger guard?  Something to guide the mag?

On mine it's a lock that requires a tool (screwdriver) to drop the mag. It's a stupid CA law thing.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Dumb question but does that rifle have a bayonet lug, reason being I just ordered one and live in a ban state so the dealer was going to shave the lug but it looks like it does'nt  have one. Or is it under the front sight base
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Dumb question but does that rifle have a bayonet lug, reason being I just ordered one and live in a ban state so the dealer was going to shave the lug but it looks like it does'nt  have one. Or is it under the front sight base

It uses a "Type 1" bayonet which attaches without a "lug".

Link Posted: 3/2/2011 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Picked mine up last night. Fired it this morning first shot at 50 yds hit center, needed no windage adjustment I never shot a milled ak before but this one sure is smooth. No failures at all recoil seems less than an akm I guess the exrta weight Paid $600 and its leaps and bounds better than the Wasr I paid $500 for (sucker born every minute) Think I might get a barrel nut installed and have it blued. I Really like it.Those fangs that hang down are the bayonet lugs It sucks but they had to be cut completely off.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I bought one last week. I'm not a Century fan but this is a very nice rifle.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#43]
I got a good deal on one from another board member so I decided to get it blued to look more authentic.  It should be done in a few weeks.
I'll post some pics when it's done.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#44]
My first AK rifle was the Romanian GP WASR10. It was fun to shoot but I wanted something a little better constructed and no magazine wobble. I looked hard at the Yugoslavian variants but then a gun shop in town had like 7 of these ATM Polish 1960 Milled AKs in stock for 699 a pop. I couldn't resist the great price for a milled AK so I picked one up. I am impressed with the fit and finish on this rifle. I haven't shot it yet but hope to very soon!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/spyderdude18/PIC_0040.jpg

The great reviews on here about this particular AK make me confident that I purchased a good gun!
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 4:28:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Congratulations on a nice rifle.

I own ARs, and various other rifles/carbines - but the one that I take out of the safe to admire the most is that milled AK.   I had refinished the furniture and the result was awesome - really gave the AK some class.  That, coupled with the nice milling job and assembly work ATM did makes that gun one fine AK.

Super smooth action, well built, very solid gun - that just happens to be an AK47.

I'm still impressed and just love that gun, months after purchase.  Not typical for me.  I also have one of the first SGL31 AK74s Arsenal built, with an sweet East German Zeiss commie Optic - really nice setup and that cost me twice what the milled gun did.  That said, I still reach for that milled 47 over a nice Arsenal 74 when I open the safe and reach in for happiness.

I think ATM did an exceptional job, but sadly Centurys name is on the gun and it just isn't appropriate.

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks! The only thing I don't like about this rifle is that mine doesn't have a rear sling swivel. I either have to get one put on by a gun smith or use a sling that wraps around the entire stock. Other than that its a solid rifle and the magazines go in very easily. On the Romanian WASR10 I had, sometimes the magazine would slip and not seat properly. It would get stuck on the magazine release and require some effort to remove the magazine and seat it properly. That is not the case with this milled AK-47 which I am very pleased about. There are circular milling marks on the rectangular cutouts on the receiver but I'm not too worried. It's defenitely a hefty rifle and it feels like a quality gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I've had mine awhile and its totally stock. It is easily the most accurate AK I have. Perfect trigger. They are made by ATM, I dont think Century has much to do with these other than marketing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I got mine refinished.  Here it is.

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#50]
I removed the slant brake and replaced it with a new barrel nut after buying it - so it would be more historically accurate.
After a couple of months, I put the slant brake back on.  It just looks so much better with the slant brake than that barrel nut.
I'm getting over the 1960's Polish thing, and more into the Milled AK thing.

Here it was before I put the slant brake back on.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Polish
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top