Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2012 3:59:53 AM EDT
I keep reading about the bolts being for single stacks only. Does the bolt that comes with the gun work as is? I don't want to buy a new rifle and have to buy parts for it to work? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#1]
It works just fine as is..Just load the single stack mag, insert into gun and start shooting.(in a safe manner of course) ....If you want to open the mag well, then you have some work to do...
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:49:16 AM EDT
[#2]
What about the ones century opened up to accept double-stack mags?
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have one and it works quite well with the mags it came with.  Tapco mags fit tight as hell and need mods to work.  The bolt does work on my factory hi cap mags but it appears that it was not really modified like the ones I have seen done on the internet.  I will try and post pics to follow.  

Can someone post a pic of a properly modified bolt as I have not really seen one done the "correct" way, just some home brew jobs.  I really doubt that Century would send one out though that would not properly work as they send two hi cap 30 rd mags with it.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have one and it works quite well with the mags it came with.  Tapco mags fit tight as hell and need mods to work.  The bolt does work on my factory hi cap mags but it appears that it was not really modified like the ones I have seen done on the internet.  I will try and post pics to follow.  

Can someone post a pic of a properly modified bolt as I have not really seen one done the "correct" way, just some home brew jobs.  I really doubt that Century would send one out though that would not properly work as they send two hi cap 30 rd mags with it.  

You have to remember that these new paps were not built from parts kits.  They were imported as single stack rifles, when they opened the mag wells at century they didn't change out the bolts.  IMO that is the only flaw with the rifle, my guess is it had to do with cost.  Two years ago I purchased a double stack yugo that was imported as a parts kit.  That rifle  started out as a double stack to begin with, therefore when they rebuilt the rifle here it had the correct double stack bolt.  There is no modification that can be done with the pap bolt, its been cut down for single stack mags.  Does it function right out of the box?  That depends on the rifle, mine did but barely.   I've read plenty of articles where they didn't.  With the short pick up they have a tendency for some to skip right over the round.  In order to bring this rifle to the same level of reliablity as the older M70B1 I opted to puchase a double stack bolt.  I then had to send it off to Two river arms to have them lower the feed ramp to accept the new bolt.  I ended up putting a very small ramp on the barrel after I got it back because I noticed although the rifle functioned the lower opening of the barrel was shaving the rounds.  It now funcitons and feeds perfectly.  What did this all cost?

Rifle was $649
new bolt $40
work done at Two river arms $50
Shipping both ways $35 X 2 = $70

Zastava rifles a.k.a yugo are very robust well put together rifes but im gonna be honest here, I had no idea what I was getting into with this pap.  What I have listed above doesn't  even include the cost of the cleaning rod or the dust cover or the carrier I replaced.  If you have the oppourtunity to puchase one of the older century yugo parts kit guns you can save yourself some headache.  Problem is those rifles are getting real hard to find.

Link Posted: 7/13/2012 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to see those pics number1olddog because i too have purchased the new pap about 3 months ago...mine is a century modified pap...takes 30 rd double
Stacked mags... i have yet to experience an issue with my bolt not feeding rounds and this threads got me worried. The loader part of my bolt does look kinda small tho..its only about 3mm thick...if that.  I have done a lot of "clean up" inside my reciever to smooth my action. Ive polished all the rails including the top two..
Ive put a slight ramp on my bullet guide to stop the ever so slight shaving of bullet copper...ive polished the contact face of the hammer... and all contact points on my bolt carrier where it meets reciever...

I did all of this without ever experiencing a problem with the weapon just because i get bored and love to modify and improve.

Im no gunsmith and i did all my work with various files and a dremel (pics inc).

I shot yesterday and my action is glass... gun feels amazing...

However... this issue,  tho it hasnt struck mine yet, is bothering me... this along with a pre ww2 colt 1911 are my SHTF weapons because they are reliable...and this is a reliability conscern.

Number1wabullet did your pap not work at all out of the box?
Thanks for your time...would like to fix this on mine even if its just a "could become" issue...
Last thing... is new carrier needed for the new bolt?

Link Posted: 7/14/2012 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would like to see those pics number1olddog because i too have purchased the new pap about 3 months ago...mine is a century modified pap...takes 30 rd double
Stacked mags... i have yet to experience an issue with my bolt not feeding rounds and this threads got me worried. The loader part of my bolt does look kinda small tho..its only about 3mm thick...if that.  I have done a lot of "clean up" inside my reciever to smooth my action. Ive polished all the rails including the top two..
Ive put a slight ramp on my bullet guide to stop the ever so slight shaving of bullet copper...ive polished the contact face of the hammer... and all contact points on my bolt carrier where it meets reciever...

I did all of this without ever experiencing a problem with the weapon just because i get bored and love to modify and improve.

Im no gunsmith and i did all my work with various files and a dremel (pics inc).

I shot yesterday and my action is glass... gun feels amazing...

However... this issue,  tho it hasnt struck mine yet, is bothering me... this along with a pre ww2 colt 1911 are my SHTF weapons because they are reliable...and this is a reliability conscern.

Thanks for your time...would like to fix this on mine even if its just a "could become" issue...

I compared my bolt to my Romy bolt and the PAP bolt was narrower and smaller in length by a hair.  I did find out that Century sent out this "single stack" bolt and I guess they feel comftorable letting people shoot these PAP's with it.  I was having feeding issues so I traded mine for an underfolder.  I am not saying to do this as the PAP's are nicely built guns but buying a Bulgarian bolt from Apex and having Two RIvers work their magic was going to be around $170 with shipping including.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 8:07:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Actually the original carrier would have worked with the new bolt.  The only reason I ended up with a new one is because Black river arms by mistake sent me a carrier instead of the bolt.  I figured since I had it and it looked a little different then mine I would try it in my gun.  It ended up functioning a LOT smoother then mine.  The old carrier would have a tendency to hang up on the hammer, the new one didn't.  But thats how I ended up replacing both.

To answer your question, out of the box the PAP did function.  The whole carrier thing would have worked itself out im sure.  The main problem I noticed really centered around the bolt.  For one the stem seemed smaller in diameter which allowed for play between it and the carrier so that was another issue outside of the small pick up.  Neither of these were issues on the other yugo I owned.

The bolt on the left is the one that came with the gun.

The carrier on the left is the one that came with the gun.  

If you notice the gap between the bolt and carrier on the right, this is the play I was referring too.  The new bolt was a better fit for both carriers.

Link Posted: 7/16/2012 10:36:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks a TON for the pics wabullet!! I think im going to look into getting this done with mine.

You said black river arms sold you the new bolt?

Theres a really good shop locally to me that i know can do the work i just need to supply the part.

Are the bolts specific to YUGOs? Your new bolt looks a lot like my buddies Arsenal bulgarian bolt thats why i ask.

Can i bother you for any more shots of the work done on your bullet guide/ reciever... would like to take some prints to my shop so they know exactly whay im talking about. Thanks a million man... and no rush... this wont be availible for me funds wise for about another month.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks a TON for the pics wabullet!! I think im going to look into getting this done with mine.

You said black river arms sold you the new bolt?

Theres a really good shop locally to me that i know can do the work i just need to supply the part.

Are the bolts specific to YUGOs? Your new bolt looks a lot like my buddies Arsenal bulgarian bolt thats why i ask.

Can i bother you for any more shots of the work done on your bullet guide/ reciever... would like to take some prints to my shop so they know exactly whay im talking about. Thanks a million man... and no rush... this wont be availible for me funds wise for about another month.

Correct Black river arms sold me the bolt, I specifically asked for one for a yugo.  I have heard others will work but I don't know that for sure.  I know this,  I own an a siaga arsenal sgl21 and that bolt will absolutely not work.  As far as pics, theres a real good shot of the bullet guide a couple of posts up ^^^^. Minus the ramp to the barrel this is exactly how I got the gun back from Two River Arms.  Steve down there did a really nice job and was very informative.
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top