BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/1/2008 6:49:34 PM EDT
So I have a new M70B1 and I'm addicted to modifications.  I decided to start this thread on what can be done to one of these Yugos. Its hard to find the parts but theyre out there.
I just got my folding stock trunion adapter from Primary Weapons Systems and it seems to be a very nice peice. I ordered a side folding M4 style adjustable stock from ACE and it should be here in a few days. I'm also going to add a set of the Ultimak upper and lower rails so all of you wood lovers out there please turn your heads now.

I plan to do an illustrated , step by step article here on how to install the stock/rails and where to buy the goods from.

please note that absolutely no wood will be harmed during this project, and NO, I dont want to sell the wood either

Here we go....

First step is to remove the two flathead screws from the stock

Then remove the 1/2 size bolt from the stock. The stock will come off after this .

This is what the rear truniun looks like after the stock has been removed. Its alot more sturdy that I thought it would be. Those Yugoslavians know what there doing.

And here is the Primary Weapons Systems trunion adaptor. A very nice piece that is designed to be a press fit. So it will take some pressure to get it in.
heres a link to buy this piece....
http://www.primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=20

I installed the insert last night.

With a few taps of a mallet the insert seated tightly.

Then I find that the hexhead bolt that came with the insert is way too short

This is what it looked like just pushed in, not one thread holding it.

See update below.......

Link Posted: 7/1/2008 6:59:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Going to put a red-dot on the Ultimak?  I have a SPOT red-dot on an Ultimak on one of my Romys and it is the cat's ass.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
A red dot is in the plans. I just dont know which one. I've had a few Eotechs so I like them alot but it seems a bit heavy to be mounted out that far on the weapon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Tease
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Eo's cant handle the heat.......

I've done the PMS/ACE modification.......you will have to fold left.
It's a nice set up, works well.  I used the locking folder.

Ultimak is next on my list, but I'm going to use a Burris FastFire.

I dont like forward assists.....I hold the mag....but I want a light and did'nt want to screw with the hard to replace wood guards.  So I got the century poly guards and I"m going to install a rail on one side to mount a light.

No pics right now........gotta do it when the wife's not around......if you know what I mean.

John
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
nice thread, I'm looking forward for the updates
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Hhould be pretty cool.  I have an M70AB2 and the only modification I have is a good tactical light on a barrel mount
Link Posted: 7/4/2008 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
So I found a button head 1 inch stainless steel bolt that fit.
I had to cut off a little over an 1/8th inch to get it flush. Add a lock washer and a little thread lock and the adapter is finally at home.

Now I'm getting impatient waiting on the Ace folding stock to arrive. I really hope it comes in the mail tomorrow.

See update below.....
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice guide. I am looking forward to the next stages.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the Ace stock and folding adapter today.
If you want to buy one then heres a link that will take you directly to this stock kit...
http://riflestocks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=69&products_id=303

Heres how it came.

First off is to bolt the AR type tube adapter to the folding mechanism

Then bolt the folder to the M70 trunion. This was not a perfect fit. One slot had to be reamed just a tiny bit for the bolt to thread in straight...no problem. Yes I said slot, This thing is adjustable vertically.

A pict of it folded. The AR type tube adapter is also adjustable vertically.

The AR type tube is threaded in and is firmly held by a lockdown ring and a small setscrew.

The cheek weld on this this is so much more comfortable than the old wood stock. Its adjustable so its perfect for my personal sight picture.

The stock can be folded either way by flipping the mount. To the left allows easy firing while folded.

Looking better already.

Now I cant wait to replace that ugly pistol grip with an ergo type and the Ultimak upper and lower rails were ordered yesterday.

See udate and completion below......
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I suppose one could put a triangle Krink stock on there too using the same mount??

Hhhmmm....
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I suppose one could put a triangle Krink stock on there too using the same mount??

Hhhmmm....

I dont know about the Krink stock but the same company (ACE) makes these...

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 11:25:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Here it is..Its done!
I have also installed a CAA grip and a Phantom type flash suppressor.

The Ultimak system is great. It came with detailed instructions complete with lots of pictures. Heres a link to buy them...
http://www.ultimak.com/BuyAK.htm

The weapon is completely stripped and ready for the rails.

The gas tube/rail is installed just like the original but with two barrel clamps to insure accuracy when using an optic.

The lower handguard/rail uses a clever tension setscrew and lever to seat tightly against the front trunion. Up front it uses two barrel clamps and this thing sets very snug, no movement at all.

The grenade sight must be trimmed down in order to use a larger optic.

I couldnt be happier.
The Eotech will be replaced with something lighter. I'm taking the Eotech to Iraq with me to use on my M4.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
It looks like an AMD-65. Yuck.

I'm glad you like it.  Thats whats great about these things...to each his own.  You used all first class parts. Functionality is the name of the game.

B
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It looks like an AMD-65. Yuck.

I'm glad you like it.  Thats whats great about these things...to each his own.  You used all first class parts. Functionality is the name of the game.

B

I really dont see a similarity between the two. But then again some people cant tell the difference between a new VW bug and the old ones.

AMD-65

My M70B1

They both have some sort of folder and vertical forgrip but thats about it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:27:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks good.  Will your Eotech co-witness on the Ultimak?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Is that one of those evil black rifles?  Where's the thing on nthe gun that goes up?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:47:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Nope. You can barely see the tip of the front sight through it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you get the front handguards off, i am trying to add a new set but have never taken handguards off an AK before?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you get the front handguards off, i am trying to add a new set but have never taken handguards off an AK before?

Heres step by step instructions complete with pictures.

http://www.ultimak.com/AKStockR&R.htm

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#20]
What was your total cost? Only thing I don't like is the muzzle device. I would have put a J-Tac on it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
What was your total cost? Only thing I don't like is the muzzle device. I would have put a J-Tac on it.

$1100 total. Alot cheaper than my last AR build.I have $500 in the new M70, $360 in the rails, $150 in the stock, $50 for the adapter, $20 for the grip and $25 for the Phantom. The Eotech doesnt count because I didnt ever intend on it being on there and its not staying there.

And to be honest , I'm not happy with how the muzzle looks either. Any suggestions and links to find a better one would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#22]
What length rail is that?

It appears to be a compact but the Yugo AK might be slightly different with regards to proportion.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Would you like to sell your wood furniture minus the stock?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What length rail is that?

It appears to be a compact but the Yugo AK might be slightly different with regards to proportion.

Top is 7 1/2" and the lower is 8 5/8". I know that the lower is the same one that fits a milled receiver.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 1:59:12 AM EDT
[#25]
if you want to put a shorter holo sight on there you shouldn't have to trim the grenade block do you?  something like a burris fastfire is what I am talking about, very small.  RG
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Your right. . A smaller sight would fit without cutting the grenade sight.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Very cool. I'm glad to see that theres actually some nice parts out there for my Yugo.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 8:37:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll try to get pics posted of mine soon.  I have the ace ak folder, not the m4 style.  I dont have an ultimak yet.  I'm going to add that and a Burris fastfire.  I'll have one poly lower guard on with a rail screwed to it and I'll be done.

John
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 9:49:03 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'll try to get pics posted of mine soon.  I have the ace ak folder, not the m4 style.  I dont have an ultimak yet.  I'm going to add that and a Burris fastfire.  I'll have one poly lower guard on with a rail screwed to it and I'll be done.

John

Please post pics!  I've been thinking about putting an Ace folder on my M70B1
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok....not done yet....need ultimak, fastfire, and lower poly guard with rail.

Before..........

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/bassbones-2007/WMD/Picture.jpg

And after.........unfolded........

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/bassbones-2007/WMD/Picture001.jpg

....and folded........

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/bassbones-2007/WMD/Picture002.jpg

Kinda in a hurry.....maybe get some better ones up soon.

John
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Ok....not done yet....need ultimak, fastfire, and lower poly guard with rail.

Before..........

i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/bassbones-2007/WMD/Picture.jpg

And after.........unfolded........

i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/bassbones-2007/WMD/Picture001.jpg

....and folded........

i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/bassbones-2007/WMD/Picture002.jpg

Kinda in a hurry.....maybe get some better ones up soon.

John

Looks good.  I like it better than the M4 collapsible stock.  Just my opinion of course.
Link Posted: 8/6/2008 3:07:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks........I have an M4, if I want something to look like an M4......I look at the M4!

I love the yugo.....but after holding an Arsenal 107 today.....it pails in comparison.

But it was half the price........

John
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 2:06:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Thanks........I have an M4, if I want something to look like an M4......I look at the M4!

I love the yugo.....but after holding an Arsenal 107 today.....it pails in comparison.

But it was half the price........

John

I like that style stock also but I got the M4 stock for utilitarian purposes. Its adjustable.
Link Posted: 8/7/2008 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Yea.......I was'nt trying to bust your chops.......to each his own.

John
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#35]
DUDE YOUR MY BEST FREIND NOW becuase im looking to mod my yougo and couldnt find nothing really but i found a rail system that works for it i heard cross your finger Leapers UTG YUGO M70 Tactical Quad Rails they said it should work
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Bump to keep the info here for others to see
Link Posted: 11/1/2008 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Nice job with your B1.  I just shot my M70B1 today for the first time.  It shot great and grouped beautifully!  Good looking rifle you got there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Furious, are there any other stock systems that you found in addition to the ACE system that would work?
Link Posted: 12/28/2008 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Ment to post an updated photo of mine.......I've since added a burris fastfire with picatinny protector mount....moved the forward sling attachment to where the flashlight rail is and added an offset flashlight mount just infront of the fastfire.  But here it is from a month ago............

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/bassbones-2007/WMD/IMG_31492.jpg

John
Link Posted: 1/19/2009 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Furious, are there any other stock systems that you found in addition to the ACE system that would work?

Thats the only one I found that would allow me to fold the stock on the left side to allow firing while folded. Theres probably others out there but those seem to be a very good quality.
Link Posted: 3/16/2009 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Your AK looks great...thanks for the thread.  My underfolder is just about to recieve the Ultimak upgrade.  Could you please tell me what grip you have on your AK...it looks like a nice upgrade.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Just bumping this so people who havent seen it can take a look.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Which rails did you use to go with the Ultimak? Did they require any modification or did it all fit together fine?
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#44]

They are all Ultimak, upper and lower rails. No modifications were needed. They bolted right up with no problem and better yet no movement at all.

I saw a brand new Yugo M70B2 underfolder the other day that one of the IPs ( Iraqi Police) had been issued. I also saw that the Ugandan troops here have brand new Saiga AKs. I wish I could have mine over here but I'll make do with the M4.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I saw a brand new Yugo M70B2 underfolder the other day that one of the IPs ( Iraqi Police) had been issued....

That Iraqi M70B2 you mentioned could likely have been an Iraqi made Tabuk.  They are built on Zastava machinery.  They are indistinguishable from the M70B except for trunnion markings, sight numbers, and wood quality.  As an example, see the pic below on a standard M70B.  The one on top is Iraqi made on Zastava machinery, the one on bottom by Zastava in Yugoslavia.  Steve

Link Posted: 4/9/2009 7:57:54 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw a brand new Yugo M70B2 underfolder the other day that one of the IPs ( Iraqi Police) had been issued....

That Iraqi M70B2 you mentioned could likely have been an Iraqi made Tabuk.  They are built on Zastava machinery.  They are indistinguishable from the M70B except for trunnion markings, sight numbers, and wood quality.  As an example, see the pic below on a standard M70B.  The one on top is Iraqi made on Zastava machinery, the one on bottom by Zastava in Yugoslavia.  Steve

http://www.vets4victory.com/images2/TabukZastavaAKs.JPG

Thanks for that bit of info. I'll try to snap a pict of it the next time I'm there. I'll try to post picts as soon as I can. We just got our internet here and I havent tried to put any picts on Photobucket yet.Unfortunately I dont ever get a chance to closely look at these weapons. I'm a gunner and I stay in the turret from the start to end of the mission. We'll see what I can do.

Link Posted: 4/9/2009 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#47]
If you do get the chance or have some buddies that can, pics of the trunnions and any other Iraqi markings, sight leafs, etc. would be great!  Same for the Quds and Tariqs.  Wished I had done it, but all I have now are the pics of the stuff brought back that went into the museums.  

You are in our prayers.  Enjoy the last of the decent weather before the suck starts in a month.  Thanks for your service, Steve
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Furious,
I've been noticing in some AK picture threads with the Ultimak rails installed that the cleaning rod is removed. Is there any way to keep the cleaning rod on the forend when installing the Ultimak rails?
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you do get the chance or have some buddies that can, pics of the trunnions and any other Iraqi markings, sight leafs, etc. would be great!  Same for the Quds and Tariqs.  Wished I had done it, but all I have now are the pics of the stuff brought back that went into the museums.  

You are in our prayers.  Enjoy the last of the decent weather before the suck starts in a month.  Thanks for your service, Steve

Thank you Steve. I have been told that I will be inspecting all of the IPs AKs since I know more than anyone else here about them. If this plays out then I'll definately take LOTS of close up pictures of every weapon they have.
Link Posted: 4/15/2009 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Furious,
I've been noticing in some AK picture threads with the Ultimak rails installed that the cleaning rod is removed. Is there any way to keep the cleaning rod on the forend when installing the Ultimak rails?

Not that I know of unless you machined some slots into the lower rail to allow the rod to slide in.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top