Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2010 6:01:15 AM EDT

American made reciever and barrel.  Not all Romanian made and assembled.   This is from an email to another member, in another thread, from JG sales.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#1]
CAI assembled as well?
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
CAI assembled as well?

My thoughts as well.  I have a CAI Cetme that cost me too much money to make "right".    I want to save others from that same problem.   Did you notice that the letter also states that the dimentions are "basically" the same as the original.   What the hell does that mean?   Is the barrel longer?   What kind of "special Break".   Probably left over breaks they had on the Cetme's that turned those into the loudest motherfuckers on the planet, next to a .50.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending on the builder, this could be good, or really bad...........
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 8:11:03 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/romanian-psl-sporter-rifle-7-62x54r-with-4x-illuminated-scope-/products_id/4241

These are Romanian PSL Sporter rifles chambered for 7.62x54R. FPK style, these have newly manufactured stamped U.S. receivers, with chrome-lined barrels with removable muzzle break. Comes with a 4x illuminated reticle side mount scope and two 10rd magazine. The Dragunov style stock my vary slightly from picture in color. In excellent condition. This firearm was assembled by Century Arms International using both new US made parts and original used surplus parts. May or may not include cleaning rod. MFG#RI1618-X

I saw somewhere that NoDak was making PSL receivers.  Might be that these use them.  WHo is making chrome lined PSL barrels here in the US?
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#5]
THANKS for the Heads Up!

D. Mark
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]
ooooooooooooh great.  mine is on the way to the dealer probably by mid this month.  How do I tell if its been converted to this crap?
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#7]

If right front of receiver says "Made in Romania by CN/CUGIR" and "imported by CAI" it's not the US made version.

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
ooooooooooooh great.  mine is on the way to the dealer probably by mid this month.  How do I tell if its been converted to this crap?

Don't sweat it yet Clean.     I doubt your rifle will be a Centruy built gun.   If it is, hell, it might be more accurate than the Romanian built guns.    You never know.    Century, I believe, has built a lot of AK's; and apparently with decent results.    Don't freak out yet.

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
If you get it and want to compare against a known Cugir built rifle, let me know. I'm in Louisville.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty sure anything coming in the last 5 years or so must have a US receiver and barrel.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pretty sure anything coming in the last 5 years or so must have a US receiver and barrel.

The ATF still allow forign made receivers and barrels as long as its not a "Assualt rifle" by atf specs... My PSL has a Romanian made Cugir receiver imported that way..I would return it..I would rather  have a gun that was made in Cugir buit rifle if just for the COOL factor and collectibility aspects. Send it back, you paid for a Romania  made rifle you should get that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 4:15:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you get it and want to compare against a known Cugir built rifle, let me know. I'm in Louisville.

Id be more than glad to get up with you and shoot.  My family owns some land in Richmond so we could meet halfway or I could make the 4 hr drive to your place.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#14]
All,

I think I received on of these guns yesterday. I ordered from Classic Arms, they just got them back in stock.

I posted pictures in my thread yesterday:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=79&t=126672

The receiver is stamped USA made, and it looks like it is indeed a NoDak receiver. I think they have a typo on the barrel. I think it is a chrome lined non-US made surplus barrel, as it has bayonet lugs that are ground down, and the pic on J&Gs site shows the same barrel I received. The rest of the parts look to be Surplus, other than the trigger which is us made.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You are wrong.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
All,

I think I received on of these guns yesterday. I ordered from Classic Arms, they just got them back in stock.

I posted pictures in my thread yesterday:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=79&t=126672

The receiver is stamped USA made, and it looks like it is indeed a NoDak receiver. I think they have a typo on the barrel. I think it is a chrome lined non-US made surplus barrel, as it has bayonet lugs that are ground down, and the pic on J&Gs site shows the same barrel I received. The rest of the parts look to be Surplus, other than the trigger which is us made.

What do you think?

Sounds like American made reciever.   Very different from the Romanian stamped recievers.    Like I said to Clean, may not be the end of the world.  Let us know how it shoots.  It could be much better than the Romanian made guns.  I'm curious what the barrel length is on the Century made guns?   If it's a surplus barrel, it should be the same.   If new?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 2:28:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah I will try it out for sure.  Only thing i dont like is that the serial's dont match on them from what I have seen on other boards.  Almost like just a parts kit thrown together will no matching serials.. Really dont like that too much.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I wound up with one of these. The scope is awesome. I used to have a similar one on my Saiga, but it was an 8 power, I believe. The action and trigger pull is smoother than any of my Yugos, It feels awesome. I'll let you know how it shoots, hopefully I'll have range time with it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#19]
if they can make PSL receivers, make some fucking dragunov receivers instead!!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Mak,

The Dragunov would be a much more difficult receiver to make. Its forged then milled.

But, you have the rights idea. I want one, can't import one, better have it built here.

It would be damn expensive to reproduce, unless a deal was make with the Russ for the parts kits.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I zeroed it in yesterday quickly and easily. The rifle has a very smooth action. The scope zeroed quickly and easily. I had several failure to feeds, but after two magazines, it ran smoothly using Wolf 7.62x54. The accuracy was spot on at 100 yards.

A few things. I know the PSL Sporter is supposedly a slapped together mix-match of used parts, but I this one, if I didn't know any better, I would believe to be brand new. The bore is shiney and bright, the bolt is pristine, no rust, no cosmoline, nothing to suggest it was a parts kit. If it was, as I know most Century guns to be, then they did an amazing job with it. No wear, no scrapes, nothing. The parkerizing is smooth and clean. I'm impressed.

I have one concern. A friend was with me, who had his PSL with him. He has three magazines he picked up from a gun show that operate just fine in his rifle, however, they would not insert into mine. The magazine catch just would not grasp it. Visual examination showed no discernible difference between my magazine, or any of his three, in the shape or size of the catch, distance from the top of the magazine, etc. However, my magazine is a flat finish metal, and his three were glossy finish. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:01:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Take a file to the inside of the magazine catch lever where it contacts the mag to give it a little more clearance.  If it is not locking down then there is not enough space for it to.  You can grind the mags or grind the catch some to get a widely accepting fit.  You don't want to go crazy however or you could induce more problems than you solve.

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone know what model of illuminated scopes these have and if they are better or worse than the scopes that come on the real romanian rifles? Just curious as I did a quick search and didn't see it mentioned.
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 2:28:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I just got mine in from J&G sales on Friday, seems like a very nice rifle.  The scope seems to be pretty clear and I like it so far.  Overall the rifle and scope looks very nice and I can't wait to shoot it.

Once complaint - It came with a damn Bayonet Lug, but the frigging ears are ground off!
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Aim has them back in stock.  I am assuming they are the real deal like they had before.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Take a file to the inside of the magazine catch lever where it contacts the mag to give it a little more clearance.  If it is not locking down then there is not enough space for it to.  You can grind the mags or grind the catch some to get a widely accepting fit.  You don't want to go crazy however or you could induce more problems than you solve.

Screw that...send the mags back!!!! When I bought my PSL, I got 8 mags, 2 of them were so out of spec that I would have needed to dremel and hammer the crap out of them to get them to lock in. Why screw with your rifle over a $29 magazine?!?!  If you have the cover open and the bolt carrier out, you can see exactly where they are hanging up. 2 of my magazines were FUBARed . I sent them back to Centerfire, and they made it right by replacing them.

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top