Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Tacked stock change on a SLR95 (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/7/2003 1:00:34 AM EDT
I'm looking to change out the stock on my Bulgarian SLR95. I already have a RedStar trigger group on its way. And plan on using a Ultimak forward scope mounting base. So this should be more than enough as far as US parts go.

I would like to use one of the OD stock sets from K-Var. Would this be just like changing stocks out on Maddis and SAR1s. Are something different all together.

If not whats needed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/7/2003 12:19:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the help so far, but if you do'nt mind I have a few more questions.

Where would one find the lower tang for sale. And would you happen to know the how to's. In making the slot.

Link Posted: 3/7/2003 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2003 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Any way to tell if I've got the slot or not from the SN or anything?
I've never even managed to get the stock off of the damn gun, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. Are the screws just tight? reverse threaded?
Link Posted: 3/21/2003 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/25/2003 2:35:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Campy;

There is no slot on my SLR 95. If you mean the slot for lower butt tang.

Infact, I was about to send mine to Global trades for the conversion, because I wanted the lower Tang installed on it and also the US Gas pistol put on, as U suggested that is was cheaper to have it done, when I quoted the price.

US gas changed for $12 + price of US gas piston($19)

Lower Stock Tang installed on milled receiver for $20 + Tang parts ($9).

That's really cheap for the amount of labour work done.

I just stop short sending mine in as I had bought ACE Stock + us parts in 1999.  I did not like the US FSE trigger and hammer feel after installation.

So I decide not send and use money to buy RED Star Trig. Kit and replacement plate hook for Sherpard hook; So I kept the ACE stock and Pistol grip.  Hence did not have to have the Lower tang installed with ACE Stock and since I have a factory Muzzle break, I need the 6th US part, I will either send in the Carrier to them to install the US gas pistol, or use the US made follower or Mag plate to switch out on the MAGs (these count as 2 US parts). ACE sells a set of 4 or 5 for $20.

Norman74, you can buy the Bulg. made Stock (Wood or plastic) and US pistol grip from Global and the US gas piston and have them install the Lower TANG and Gas Piston on the Bolt Carrier, Inform them you installed the RED star Trigger SEt. and will install the Butt stock and Pistol Grip.

The factory muzzle brake works great, but it can be also changed out for Slant one with extra cost - But have them do it as I think the removal will probably destroy the original.  They say they return all original parts to you.
Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't the Ironwood stocks be installed on an SLR-95 without the lower tang?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:07:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, Ironwood makes a stock set for rifles without the lower tang.

These instructions are for guys who want the "real" military look with a military stock set.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Milled Ak only has need 5 US parts.  i also have a bulgaraina slr95 with ace kit.

1. ACE stock
2-4) trigger, disconnector, hammer from Tapco
5) OD green pistol grip from Kvar

6) OD green upper/lower Kvar handguards (Optional)
Link Posted: 7/5/2004 12:42:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IronBack] [#10]
I just ordered the K-VAR US grip and stock and the RSA trigger kit for my SLR-95. (K-VAR triggers are backordered BTW) That gives me 5 parts without having to pin a suppessor on it. Before I have to bother Campy, does anybody know which way the rivets on the tang kit go? Rivet head inside or outside? Should I hot rivet or peen over cold? TIA.

PS. I am lucky, my SLR has the milled slot for the tang.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
that is funny i changed my sa 93 with a with out a lower tang with a kvar od green stock i had to beat the stock in the rifle if i had left the top srew out i could still use as a club some one stock don't need no lower tang and never will
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a SLR-101S milled AK with green stock set but I hate that short skinny but.
Does anybody know if I can get a matching but only a bit longer? Also would like to know where to find ACE stock and who has the best prices on Rusky scopes.
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#13]
heres my slr-95 with lower tang and nato us stock
Link Posted: 11/6/2004 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/18/2004 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a SA93. I want to put a  folder on it. Who sells milled folders. Anyone.
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#16]
i think you would have to buy a folder for a stamped and cut it down to fit (prob not an easy task)
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 9:11:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mateomasfeo] [#17]
I am in the middle of converting my SLR95.  I'm using the Ironwood walnut stock.  

I'm not sure what the previous poster meant by "miltary look not Ironwood," but it looks exactly like the military stocks, and I am finishing the wood myself.  My receiver had no lower tang and no milled spot for one.  I opted for the Ironwood stocks because it's monting system does not require a lower tang and I could finish it to taste.  There is special hardware for mounting it and I can put the original Arsenal Butt Plate back on.

Mine has the factory muzzle break.  How hard is it to remove?

I'll post before and after pics when I'm done.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Tag - I'm thinking about one of the Ironwood stocks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 9:47:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DTakas] [#19]
. . .
Link Posted: 1/28/2005 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/29/2005 9:32:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DTakas] [#21]
. . .
Link Posted: 1/29/2005 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/30/2005 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#23]

I changed mine.  For step by step of how I did it with pics, see this thread:

Ironwood Replacement of SLR95
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#24]
tagged
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 8:09:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: james_black] [#25]
Hello there brothers:

First time here. I have been wanting to change the stock of my Slr for quite some time. I notice that you guys have information on how to do it. I can tell you right now I dont have the tools or patience to do this myself. I want a underfolding stock.

Question.  Is it any place where I can send my rifle and have a folding stock installed on it?? How much also.

I thank you guys in advance.

James_Black

Link Posted: 3/22/2005 11:38:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Templar] [#26]
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 8:10:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: james_black] [#27]
b]Thanks Templar for the welcome.

Theres gonna be a Gun Show on Sat. here were I live. I think Im gonna try to sale or trade my slr. Love the rifle but I will like to add up those little extras to them. It seems I cant do that with mine without making a hole on my pocket.
Link Posted: 6/5/2005 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By IronBack:
I just ordered the K-VAR US grip and stock and the RSA trigger kit for my SLR-95. (K-VAR triggers are backordered BTW) That gives me 5 parts without having to pin a suppessor on it. Before I have to bother Campy, does anybody know which way the rivets on the tang kit go? Rivet head inside or outside? Should I hot rivet or peen over cold? TIA.

PS. I am lucky, my SLR has the milled slot for the tang.

I am also wondering what is the best method for doing the actual riveting?
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 2:54:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaucho1] [#29]
Just bought a converted slr-95.Black duracoat,fcg,k-var butstock and pg,tapco galil handguard.
Think I will change the handguard to the set at ace ltd.,looks cleaner.
What do you recomend for a slick modern black milled to cap the muzzel.
Currently has set screw adapter,I am looking for something I can thread directly to the barrel.
What size threads will the muzzel take ?

I know many have done this from long ago.
Thank you for helping a milled newbie.

Just got a "russian red " ironwood stock set.
Need butt plate,sling swivel,and metal at top of pg if that makes sense.
Thank You
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:30:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cope] [#30]
Tell me something..... Is this receiver cut for the lower tang, or not?

EDIT:  Thanks Templar.  Pic removed.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:17:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mach6] [#32]

Originally Posted By Templar:
If you want a foreign muzzle device, here's what you'll have to replace with US parts.

Hammer
Trigger
Sear
Gas piston
Pistol Grip
Forend
Buttstock

The Ultimak rail does not count as a US part towards the ultimate parts count.

==============

Sounds to me like there would be a market for a US made AR M9-type birdcage flash suppressor that mirrors what K-VAR had in stock a while back.  Or perhaps even a Vortex or a simple A2-type birdcage if that floats your boat????
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd also like to fit a folder on my SLR95. K-VAR is out of stock but ACE has one for the stamped receivers. Are there any others and what's involved in modifying one to fit the milled receiver? I'm in the PRK so selling the 95 and buying a folder is not an option. TIA.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:05:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By MOLON_LABE:
I'd also like to fit a folder on my SLR95. K-VAR is out of stock but ACE has one for the stamped receivers. Are there any others and what's involved in modifying one to fit the milled receiver? I'm in the PRK so selling the 95 and buying a folder is not an option. TIA.

I spoke to ACE today and was told they have a folder for the milled receiver that's not on the website. If you call them you can order one for $160.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:11:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mach6] [#35]

I spoke to ACE today and was told they have a folder for the milled receiver that's not on the website. If you call them you can order one for $160.

=====================
Now that is interesting.  I'm going back to Europe next month and my Swiss dealer can get all kinds of Arsenal goodies, to include the  AR SF folder....but they sell out very quickly.  The ACE unit seems like a good solution, plus being a US part helps.  It would certainly look appropriate on a modernized AK ala AR M2-9, etc. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Templar:
If you want a foreign muzzle device, here's what you'll have to replace with US parts.

Hammer
Trigger
Sear
Gas piston
Pistol Grip
Forend
Buttstock

An SLR-95 with muzzle device only has 15 of the listed parts because it has a machined receiver.  Therefore, you only have to replace five.  Replace the trigger group, pistol grip, buttstock, and you're legal.
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Bret:

An SLR-95 with muzzle device only has 15 of the listed parts because it has a machined receiver.  Therefore, you only have to replace five.  Replace the trigger group, pistol grip, buttstock, and you're legal.

Having recently replaced the gas piston, NOW you happen to pop in and mention it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a dumb question. I have the tang and rivet(s), there are 2 of them. The slot is already milled out.

How do I locate the rivet or rivet holes?

Do I use both of them or only one?

The tang doesn't want to lie flat in the reciever because of the rivets holding the trigger guard. I can work around this with a file or dremel on the tang. Is this normal?
Link Posted: 5/24/2006 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#39]
A couple of more dumb questions.

How do you set the rivets?

Is there an easy way to set the rivets with ordanary tools?

Can anyone post a picture of the finished product?
Link Posted: 7/24/2006 3:23:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shotgun1] [#40]
eta... removed ?
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Answer to my own stupid questions

There is a dimple in the inside that locates the second rivet. Once I removed the first rivet by grinding off the head with a dremil and then driving it out, I noticed a dimple in the receiver for the second rivet.

I attached the tang to the stock with screws and then slid it into the receiver. After I marked the two holes, I drilled them out.

I attached the tang with #8 screws. The rivets were too much to mess with and the grip covered the screw heads anyway. I used a lot of lock tight and gave them a good turn.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I have a complete black stock set for a Milled reciever I will sell pretty decent price. Never been installed.

Or might be wiling to do a trade for a set for a Stamped receiver or something...

But lets not turn this into a EE thread and break the rules so email me or something.

The SA-93 I have has the Wood stock routed out for a lower tang but one is not installed and its plenty strong with just the upper tang. Thats about the only difference I think is wether the place is routed out or not. I, so far, am not convinced that its absolutely nessicary to install a lower tang in an Arsenal reciever. Not for the kind of conditions most of ours see duty in at least.
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#43]
here's my Ironwood stock set on a totally re-worked SLR 95 by Troy at IN-RANGE
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 11:31:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrMilitaryPolice] [#44]
nm
Link Posted: 1/27/2008 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Does anyone have any other shop recommendations for doing a full pistol grip wood stock conversion on an SLR95?
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By 9mmkungfu:
Does anyone have any other shop recommendations for doing a full pistol grip wood stock conversion on an SLR95?

Elk River Tool and Die did my conversion.  They bought out Arsenal USA/Global Trades a while back.  Talk to Hector Bennet, he is a straight up guy.  Here is their website.  http://www.elkrivertoolanddie.com/index.html

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By mojo7:
Originally Posted By 9mmkungfu:

Elk River Tool and Die did my conversion.  They bought out Arsenal USA/Global Trades a while back.  Talk to Hector Bennet, he is a straight up guy.  Here is their website.  http://www.elkrivertoolanddie.com/index.html

http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/medium/4819SLR-95.jpg

That is very nice.  I want to convert my SLR-95 while I still can, just in case we get any more "touchy-feely" laws that dictate what a gun has to look like or where parts are made.  I don't actually mind the thumbhole stock all that much, though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone have any pics of the SLR with ACE stock installed using the internal block.. aka the cut the dang tang way?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/25/2009 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#49]
I am looking to add an ACE stock to my SLR95 too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:59:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By MrMilitaryPolice:
here's my Ironwood stock set on a totally re-worked SLR 95 by Troy at IN-RANGE
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q285/bigdaddytom/DSC01064.jpg

Nice looking Boomstick, bud. The IWD stock set really gives it a good look; however, i just can;t get past the 90 degree gas block - I prefer the 45 degree one on the milled bodies, but that's my opinion and my opinion alone. Nice stick nonetheless.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Tacked stock change on a SLR95 (Page 1 of 2)
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top