Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/2/2003 2:31:45 PM EDT
My new SAR-1 has a pretty tight mag well.  I'm thinking of opening it up a bit with a Dremel, but I want to be sure there aren't any negative consequences to doing this.  Is there anything I should take into consideration before I do it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The only negative I can think of is re-sale value.  So, are you planning on hanging on to this firearm for a while?  

If not, give me first chance to buy it.  If you take a drill to it I expect to pick it up from ya for cheap.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The only negative I can think of is re-sale value.  So, are you planning on hanging on to this firearm for a while?  

If not, give me first chance to buy it.  If you take a drill to it I expect to pick it up from ya for cheap.  

Where the hell did you come from?  Don't you have a forum of your own?  GO AWAY!  
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you check to see if it is the opening for the mag well or the dimples in the receiver?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Did you check to see if it is the opening for the well or the dimples in the receiver?

Are we still talkin' about guns?

Sorry, gunnysmith, I'm just messing with my buddy.  

Welcome to the site!
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Can you tell us what area of the mag well is too tight ? How many and what type of mags are we talking bout ?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
It's definitely the well and not the dimples.  It seems as though the well is just a bit too narrow.  I can get the mags in, but it's pretty tight.  The only mags I've tried are the Romy 40 and 10 rounders that came with the gun.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:58:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Brad, this is what I would do if I were you. I would take some liquid paper and coat all around where the mag fits into the  mag well. It sounds from your description that it is in the side to side clearance where you are having the problem. After the liquid paper dries, carefully insert and lock the mag, and remove the mag. Look for the areas that where the liquid paper rubbed off, if any.

The respective areas of the Mag well are the areas that need to be relieved. I would use a sharp file and a steady hand before I would use a dremel, as it sounds as if you don't have much material to remove. I would also feel more comfortable if you had tried a wider selection of Magazines.

I have the opposite problem, a Mag well on a SAI cluster F*ck I am trying to finish is too loose and the mag wobbles from side to side. Too tight is better than too loose. Please hold off on taking a file to your rifle until a more skilled memeber can confirm my approach.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, I definitely prefer it a little tight versus the typical AK loose tolerances.  I was thinking just a few swipes with a file ought to do the trick.  Not major surgery mind you, but a bit smoother than it is now.  I just don't know what effect, if any, it will have on the strength and hardness of the receiver.  I'm definitely not going to move until I get a few more replies.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Filing doesn't generate enough heat to effect your receiver.  Plus, the SAR series is through-hardened . . . no surface hardening to cut off.  Also, the mag area's strength isn't dependent on hardening in the first place - the fold of the receiver wall stiffens it.  Even a dead soft receiver (OOW) tends to be fairly strong in this area.

I would try a couple more mags,but Bulletslap's advice is right on.  I personally would use black ink (Sharpie)rather than Liquid Paper, though.  Liquid Paper tends to go on rather thick.

YMMV,

Disconnector
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:07:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:18:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
are you using bulgarian magazines in your sar-1?

are the mags tight in the side to side direction or front to rear?

after hitting it with a file, touch up with cold black oxide/blueing from brownells.

I've only tried two Romanians at this point.  The mags are tight side to side.  They rub the sides of the mag well upon insertion.  Front to back seems fine.  I'll just hit the sides with a file and reblue with my Birchwood Casey Blue Pen.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top