Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/3/2005 2:36:29 PM EDT
Before I say anything, I would like to thank Longboat for all of his help. He lent me his expertise and tools along with his time and energy. I am very grateful to him.

The kit is a Yugoslavian M92 Krinkoff kit from Ohio Rapid fire. The muzzle extension is also from ORF. the kit was just as advertised....EXCELLENT. The receiver is a 1.0mm from Global. I didn't like the furniture so I refinished it as discussed in this thread here. The compliance parts are primarly from Tapco.

I originally built it as a pistol although I had hedged a bet and purchased compliance parts also knowing I wasn't a fan if this type of pistol. I test fired it this morning. After sighting it in, I was able to get some pretty reasonable groups at 50 yards. The supplied FH did the job admirably. When I put the mock suppressor on there was a pronounced muzzle flash .

In either event I am going to SBR it. The paperwork will be sent tomorrow under a corporate application. I decided after going to the range today that I didn't like it ergonomically as a pistol so I took it apart, permanently attached the mock suppressor and drilled the holes for the under folder. I then degreased everything and molycoated it with Norrels semi-gloss black.

I'll try to take better pics later but here is a quicky:

Bomber

ETA to fix model # typo
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
B, you missin a trigger!
Nice, you and longboat did a great job.
Did you have to do any sandblasting or parkerizing? How is the Moly holding up on the receiver?
I'm proud of you guys, one more for the team!!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#2]
damn nice M92! (not 82)
I love Moly semi-gloss finish! post some more pix!!!!!!!!!!! pleaseeeeeee
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#3]
NICE!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats badass!! I just ordered a M 92 kit. I cant wait to do the build.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome. I've been kicking myself for not getting a krink kit while they were plentiful. Looks like this will be a close 2nd.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey bomber, I noticed that the  lowerhandguard on that last picture shows a spot where the finish has worn off already.
Don't get me wrong-she still looks ten times better than my handguards, which I plan to refinish per your great tutorial, but I am thinking:

Should I apply some clear ployurethane on them when the staining is done to prevent scuffs?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:58:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
B, you missin a trigger!
Nice, you and longboat did a great job.
Did you have to do any sandblasting or parkerizing? How is the Moly holding up on the receiver?
I'm proud of you guys, one more for the team!!!

Thanks!....yea I have to put in the FCG. The receiver I bought was parked. All I did was degrease and spray. I've coated 4 other guns in the past with it and they have held up great. No the wait begins for the form 1.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey, that looks familar..  a little different than when it left, but I prefer AK's with stocks vs those funny looking pistol thingy's.

That is a first build on Armory's 1mm receiver for me.  I prefer flats, but it went very smooth, unlike some of the OOW I have tinkered on.  In spec and no extra work needed at all.

BTW..  having seen the handguards in person..  the pics don't do them justice.  Bomber did a real nice job on them.

It was nice getting together with you for the build and I hope that you can find some odd work schedule openings in your future shop/range for me.  Will work for transfers...  or will  for a pilot!    
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey bomber, I noticed that the  lowerhandguard on that last picture shows a spot where the finish has worn off already.
Don't get me wrong-she still looks ten times better than my handguards, which I plan to refinish per your great tutorial, but I am thinking:

Should I apply some clear ployurethane on them when the staining is done to prevent scuffs?

As woodworking is my true hobby, I would use an oil finish on your handguards.  First it keeps that warm feel that polyurethane has pretty much killed in modern furniture.  Second, you can just keep oiling it to keep it looking good.  If you get a scratch, sand smooth, oil and you are back in business.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As woodworking is my true hobby, I would use an oil finish on your handguards.  First it keeps that warm feel that polyurethane has pretty much killed in modern furniture.  Second, you can just keep oiling it to keep it looking good.  If you get a scratch, sand smooth, oil and you are back in business.

Longboat.....what oil? I just heard some guys use the Minwax stain and then wax....
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Tung Oil, Danish Oil, Linseed Oil..  take you pic..  I guess as a Marine and the any port in a storm thought process, we could try Wesson Oil, but I don't know how that would turn out.

Stain to wax...  I don't know..  I often wax after I oil..  but I always oil.

Tung Oil would be the best method..  it is deep penetrating unlike Poly's surface coat and is very hard once dried.  Danish oil is basically a mix of Tung oil and some other stuff.  I like Watco and I think you can still get it at most hardware stores.  I have a refinished a bunch of stocks/handguards with Watco Danish Oils.  Linseed oil if from my Cruffler side....  works too...  just takes so damed long to build up a finish...

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Longboat,

Where are you in VA?  I have a few kits to build.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh soooo sexy.. M92's just inspire you to go and shoot steel...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Longboat,

Where are you in VA?  I have a few kits to build.

PM sent
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Fantastic finish... thanks for all the advise here!  My M-92 has great wood but I do like that darker finish so I will try this when I get the time to build...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Bomber, Are the barrel threads on the M92 14mm X 1.5 LH???
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

no
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

actually I don't know....they are left handed. I bought the barrel extension from ORF.

Bomber
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top