Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2005 9:09:45 PM EDT

First off this is not a bash of ORF. They make a good product, far far better than most. This is an older rifle past the one year warranty and I’m just having a problem with the finish. They admitted there were some early problems with finishes when they made the first batch of rifles. The rifle runs fine.

This is one of the original SEAKs from the first group buy and the rust is now out of hand. For the longest time I thought the oozing rust coming through the barrel gave it character and I always kept it bathed in CLP inside and out so I didn’t have any worries about it getting out of hand. In fact the inside of the receiver gets bathed with it.

Well today I decided to give it a very thorough cleaning. It really didn’t look like it needed it and it’s only just past the thousand round mark, but I just wanted to clean it. So I used a can of Break Free Powder Blast gun cleaner and sprayed it clean.

Then I saw it. Rust all over the inside of the receiver! The trunnion! The rivets!  Much of it is hard to see unless I turn a Surefire light on it, then it really highlights it. Some of it's very very light and hard to see without the flashlight highlighting it. Then it's scary looking. This is rust coming from the inside out. Yikes!

So now I want it refinished. Where should I turn? Back to ORF (and maybe get a good deal) or off to a second party with better refinishing skills? Or has ORF upped  their finishing abilities up in the last couple of years?  I really want a finish to last this time. No more rust.

Scary pictures follow.

Rust is all over the nooks and crannies:

But when the light is just right a whole undercoating of rust becomes visible:

Rust between the trunnion and receiver is just visible:

I can’t see rust without lighting it up, then it’s all over the bottom of the receiver. Still hard to see here:

Another rust spot coming through the finish:

Before anyone starts ORF bashing, remember, this rifle runs. They are plenty of AK clones that look like a wicked million dollars but they won’t run. I’d rather have a rusty run that runs than a work of art finish on a rifle that jams every third round.

Link Posted: 6/30/2005 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard to say, but I think ORF will step up to the plate on this one.

That rust will only grow with time, it's hard to say if even refinishing it will cure the problem.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
had the same problem with mine when I first got it. After consulting this board, I bathed her in boiling water followed by alot of Dawn dish soap. I finally have it under control, but there are spots on the finish that look like bare metal now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
did you drop it in saltwater or somethan ?
1 thang ive seen alot of people do that is a big nono
is they get there gun wet and they think they will oil it up make it all better
but what actually happens is the oil cover the water and holds it in causing rust
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 11:58:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
did you drop it in saltwater or somethan ?
1 thang ive seen alot of people do that is a big nono
is they get there gun wet and they think they will oil it up make it all better
but what actually happens is the oil cover the water and holds it in causing rust

lol

Im sure he went to the beach and submerged the SEAK in the ocean

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#5]
That rifle will have to be disassembled completely to cure that problem !!

A total rebuild - rivets cut - barrel disassembled - everything down to the bare metal and refinished ...

A shame ...
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to have to check mine.. Those pics are scary.

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 6:10:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 8:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
tag

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#9]
If you decide to go somewhere besides ORF for the refinishing, I would strongly suggest checking out Jayson_at_IGF's finish that he uses.

I think it's called Envirotech? Very tough finish. It's a little glossy, but it's nice, deep & black.

I bought my '74 from IGF because of the finishing process he uses.

Scott

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm going to have to check mine.. Those pics are scary.

+1. The "blark" job wasn't all that great, but I don't think I've got the rust problems.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one of the AKS74 seaks, and I have the same problem.  I did the bathing thing an it helped stop the spreading of the rust.  I'm going to have it refinished locally sometime this summer.  I already sent my seak back to ORF once for functioning problems.  When I received the rifle back someone had removed material from the front of my top cover and after 1 or 2 shoots the top cover would pop off.  I replaced with a new top cover from KVAR and it locks in place properly.  The original top cover with the matching serial numbers is worthless now.  I'm not confident to send it back to ORF. The rifle has around 2000 rounds through it now with no problems except the 2 tone finish.  The top cover from KVAR is a different color than the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Man that sucks.

Max
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#13]
You could try to season it like a frying pan.  Strip off all the wood and then heat up the steel fairly good, but not enough to destroy the temper (no blue color on the white steel)  and then hit it up with some gun  oil.  Repeat it a few times and it shood bake the oil into the finish.

or, try a good penetraing oil like Kroil or Breakfree and then heat it up.  Do it outside as it is going to smoke pretty good.

As I stated, do not heat it up to far as you do not want to destroy the temper of the steel.

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#14]
most ovens wont go high enough to aneal the rifle
but depinding on the finish it will ruin that
most bake on finishes wont handle anythang over 375-400
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm having the same problem with mine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry, I did not know it was a bake on finish.  The oil may penetrate under the finish and lift it off the rest of the the way.  However, it looks as if it is lifting off the steel anyhow if it is a spray on finish.

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Whew, SEAK #74 out of 500 still looks good - A little of that orange shit around my optics rail - been there since I got it.  inside looks good so far ...It's a smooth, well made, kickass lead sprayer

You all have a fantastic weekend
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Get it refinished by Chris Butler at AK-USA. He'll strip it down to bare metal and totally refinish it in what is arguably the best finish available on a Kalashnikov-type rifle
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Do I really have to get it disassembled before the refinish? Down to the rivets? Can rust in-between the parts ruin the rifle?

How much do these guys charge for a refinish?

Link Posted: 7/1/2005 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#20]
IM Tgrove and link him to this thread 1st. ORF should stick by it's product.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
IM Tgrove and link him to this thread 1st. ORF should stick by it's product.

I would be SHOCKED if Todd didn't take care of you.  

a GOOD refinish is going to be in the neighborhood of $175.  IF AK-USA or Investment does it.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Do I really have to get it disassembled before the refinish? Down to the rivets? Can rust in-between the parts ruin the rifle?

How much do these guys charge for a refinish?

It's my belief that rust between the parts will ruin the rifle ...
Link Posted: 7/3/2005 8:33:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Guys,
We'll take care of any SEAKs that this happened too.  It was a new product we were using and thought there would be no bugs.  Got rid of the bugs.  Send it in with a note and all your contact info, we'll get her straight and back to you.

Todd@ORF

Things like this is why I use certain, manufactor's and vendors. People that back there, product up. Big Thumbs up to ORF. ,  WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 5:36:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Guys,
We'll take care of any SEAKs that this happened too.  It was a new product we were using and thought there would be no bugs.  Got rid of the bugs.  Send it in with a note and all your contact info, we'll get her straight and back to you.

Todd@ORF

Things like this is why I use certain, manufactor's and vendors. People that back there, product up. Big Thumbs up to ORF. ,  WarDawg

+2. Good people, them ORF gang!
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#26]
never had any issues like that on any rifle I had refinished.
Even walmart spray can paint can withstand 400 degree temp in the oven without issues.

You don't have to tear is all apart, just a good blasting, a good park job, and then paint.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#27]
$550 Vepr, no rust.
Link Posted: 7/4/2005 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
$550 Vepr, no rust.

No need to rub it in man ... Robert2011 has a problem with his rifle and ORF is handling it ...

That's what this thing is all about !!! ... When I learn something, maybe I will be able to help someone also ...

I hate it for all concerned ... But Robert2011 gets his AK fixed and ORF adds another gold star to their already excellent reputation ... Just my opinion but I see no need in celebrating someone else's misfortune ...

Link Posted: 7/5/2005 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Aaaaahhhh Crap.

I haven't fired my SEAK since I got it back from being fixed by ORF for a feed ramp problem that was causting it to jam.
After reading this thread, I got worried, and pulled my SEAK out of the safe to check for rust.

Sure enough, there are several spots where rust is coming up through the finish on the inside of the chamber.

It's SEAK #40 out of 200.

Unfortunately, I think I am out of the one year warranty. Any suggestions ?
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Aaaaahhhh Crap.

I haven't fired my SEAK since I got it back from being fixed by ORF for a feed ramp problem that was causting it to jam.
After reading this thread, I got worried, and pulled my SEAK out of the safe to check for rust.

Sure enough, there are several spots where rust is coming up through the finish on the inside of the chamber.

It's SEAK #40 out of 200.

Unfortunately, I think I am out of the one year warranty. Any suggestions ?

didnt you read this post on the last page?

Guys,
We'll take care of any SEAKs that this happened too. It was a new product we were using and thought there would be no bugs. Got rid of the bugs. Send it in with a note and all your contact info, we'll get her straight and back to you.

Todd@ORF
Link Posted: 7/5/2005 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#31]
No, I didn't.

Thanks for pointing that out. When I came back to the thread today after looking at my own SEAK, I just hit reply, and didn't read the responses since my last post.

I'll contact Todd.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top