Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/7/2005 9:20:59 PM EDT
I ordered up ACE's new "Cut The Tang" receiver block along with a folding stock assembly to convert my 5 year old ACE fixed stock into a folder.

What I started out with:

Disassembled:

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
What $95 bought me:

The receiver block inserted before the tang was cut off:

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks nice....if only I could find something similar to put on my slant cut milled MAK 90.  Ive got the choatic NSOS synthetic stock.....I like it but would much prefere a solid/stable folding stock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Tang cut off using Dremel tool with fiber cutoff wheel. Uh oh, the receiver block is installed flush with the back of the receiver but things aren't lining up so well. Note the hole for the bolt that holds the pistol grip on:

Top view of rear trunion and bolt hole not lining up so well:

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The receiver block is extremely tight inside the receiver. I had to hammer it in. I don't know if it could removed without a MAJOR hassle. So rather than screw around trying to get it back out, if I even could, I decided to simply try to work with it as is. What the heck, it's just an old AK I paid $200 for way back when.

First off, I cut the front "strap" off of the receiver block so that the bolt for the pistol grip could be reinstalled:

The bolt in the rear trunion was close enough so I just started a screw and tighted it down. I'm sure it's cross threaded but it seems to be holding firm enough and if it ever comes lose I'll just JB Weld the heck out of it:

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
All done and put back together:

Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
In summary, even though I'm currently satisfied with the end result, because of the poor dimensions of the receiver block and subsequent modifications needed, I'm not sure I would recommend this particular stock at this time. It locks up tight in the extended position and loosely in the folded position, presumably so it can be rapidly extended. There is no provision for a rear sling swivel, I will probably try just looping it around one of the stock tubes. The screw for the pistol grip feels as if it is only engaging a few threads, so I will try to find a longer one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 1:33:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless you bought a block specifically for a Chinese AK, I imagine at least some of your problems are due to the fact that Chinese and European AKs are not made to the same spec.

The tightness of the block going into the receiver is due to the fact that the Chinese receiver is 1.6mm thick, where the Euro pattern is 1mm.  The back of the receiver is cut at a different angle, and I suspect the location of the grip hole is also different.

You'd have similar problems if you were fitting an East German or Romanian side folding stock.

Just a thought..

Looks nice, BTW.

Doug
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 3:56:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 4:02:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Well done! Thanks for the report.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 5:29:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, this is just thing for my 5.56mm build.  Vortex G6A2 on the front end, FAL PG and scope rail.  Hmmmm......will this folder work with a scope rail????
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Unless you bought a block specifically for a Chinese AK, I imagine at least some of your problems are due to the fact that Chinese and European AKs are not made to the same spec.

That could be it, although when I ordered it I did say it was specifically for a MAK-90. The receiver block seems to have butted right up against the rear trunion block as it is supposed to and is flush with the back of the receiver, the holes for the grip screw and top trunion screw just don't line up. I'll probably e-mail the pics to ACE, too, if for nothing else than to let them know that their product needs a little more development.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Boomer, I used the receiver block as a platform for mounting a Galil stock on and it fit my Romanian WASR like a glove. I wonder if they make different versions as I don't recall options on the site?
Just wondering if you have the option of making it either a right or left hand folder. Does the LH fold interfere with being able to use the sight rail? Also how does the folding mechanism works (is it a push button release, or does it break free by pushing down like on the Galil). Last, I thought I saw some provision/option for a sling mount on the web site.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
A buddy of mine who mounted an East German side-folder on a stamped MAK-90 had the almost the same problems with the grip screw hole not lining up, etc. But the same folder slides into a Maadi / SAR receiver with no mods needed.

That block is obviously fit for a Euro / Russian type 1mm receiver.

It looks nice....if only I could find something similar to put on my slant cut milled MAK 90. Ive got the choatic NSOS synthetic stock.....I like it but would much prefere a solid/stable folding stock.

5ofUS
Soupbowl, ACE, or someone used to make an adapter block specifically for the slant cut milled MAK-90. I don't think it's no longer made, but I've seen one or two at gun shows before.... I don't remember the brand, but it was for a Galil type stock, I though it was made for the ACE stock.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 3:12:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just wondering if you have the option of making it either a right or left hand folder. Does the LH fold interfere with being able to use the sight rail? Also how does the folding mechanism works (is it a push button release, or does it break free by pushing down like on the Galil). Last, I thought I saw some provision/option for a sling mount on the web site.

Yes, the folding mechanism can be made to fold right or left by simply flipping it around. When used to fold to the left, the buttstock must be pulled up slightly, when folding to the right, it would need to be pushed down. I guess to me it just seems natural for the stock to fold to the left so as to allow unobstructed access to the safety when in the folded position. Although it's quite unlikely that I will be spraying from the hip anytime soon.

I've never had a sight rail or optics installed on an AK, so I can't say for sure if folding to the left would interfere with them. There is still a good inch or so between the the receiver and the stock when in the folded position, so based on pictures I've seen in the past, there may indeed be sufficient room for a receiver mounted scope mount.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Boomer:

ACE p/n FSM-SMG is a hinge mechanism identical to yours, except it has a sling swivel attached to it. The folks at ACE suggested I use that hinge instead of p/n FSM, if I wanted to retain a rear sling swivel when using the "Cut the Tang" block. That's exactly what I did when I ordered the parts for my Saiga-12 conversion, which is currently in-work with J. Newton @ NFA Sales.

I suggest contacting ACE and seeing if they'll take your FSM back and send you an FSM-SMG instead...

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Boomer,

I actually contacted ACE about their AK side folder adapter sveral weeks ago (in February).  They informed me then that the block would require some fitting to work with a MAK90, mainly with the grip area (as shown in your pics).  I was told you would have to do some cutting (other than the tang), but the guy wasn't real specific on the phone.  I hesitated in ordering it, and I'm still not sure whether I will order one or not!  I have a side folder sitting in a closet with no gun to go on, so I may end up putting it on my DR200.

BTW, the gun looks great with the side folder!  I really would like to have a side-folder on my AK, but I'm not sure right now.  Thanks for the post!
Link Posted: 4/10/2005 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#17]
This it the set up I want to put on my newly acquired SAR1. How do you like the LOP? I was looking to get the short stock with a 1" pad or the standard stock with a 1/2" pad. There is only a .600" difference in the two.
Thank, Phessor
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top