Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2004 2:19:42 PM EDT
Okay, I just order a Bulgy AK-74 kit.  It appears to have everything except for the receiver and rear trunnion.  I'm going to have one of the awesome AK smiths on this site build her up for me but I need to know which parts to switch out with US compliant parts.  I know that I can't have anymore than 10 imported parts and I'm guessing that the magazine, follower and floorplate count as 3, right?

Below is a list of all the parts the BATF say count as import parts.  Can you please recommend which parts should be switched out with US made ones and which parts on this list are N/A for the AK-74.  For example I'm guessing #8 Operating Rod doesn't apply to an AK.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  Please keep in mind that I want to keep the wood furniture.  

ETA:  I added what I have so for for US and import parts that I would like to stay this way.

1. Receiver - USA
2. Barrel - Import
3. Barrel Extension - N/A
4. Trunnions - Import (2)
5. Muzzle Attachment - Import
6. Bolt - Import
7. Bolt Carrier - Import
8. Operating Rod - N/A
9. Gas Piston - USA
10. Trigger Housing - N/A
11. Trigger - USA
12. Hammer - USA
13. Sear - USA
14. Disconnector - USA
15. Buttstock - Import
16. Pistol Grip - USA
17. Handguard/Forearm - Import
18. Mag Body - Import
19. Mag Follower - Import
20. Mag Floorplate - Import

Are there any I missed?  Also does the two piece handguard on the AK count as two imported parts or only one?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Pistol Grop (1)
Gas Piston (1)
Receiver (1)
Fire Control Group (1)

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Pistol Grop (1)
Gas Piston (1)
Receiver (1)
Fire Control Group (1)

Spooky

How many and what pieces does the fire control group have?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How many and what pieces does the fire control group have?

10. Trigger Housing????
11. Trigger
12. Hammer
13. Sear
14. Disconnector

not sure about the housing, but the rest are in the FCG(Fire Control Group)
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Commonly replaced parts

The FCG counts as 3 parts in the AK. Trigger, hammer, disconnector/sear
Pistol grip
Buttstock
Handguards count as 1 part
Receiver
Piston
Mag Follower 1 part
Mag baseplate 1 part
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The 74 will need 6 since it has a muzzle brake, these are the US made parts I used on mine.

Hammer - 1
Disconnector - 1
Trigger - 1
Pistol Grip - 1
Receiver - 1
Muzzle Brake - 1

I wish I could find someone that has US Made AK74 Mag Followers and Floorplates. Anyone know?

Also does a bayonet count as a muzzle attachment?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Do the front and rear trunnions count as one import part or two?  I can't figure out how you're coming up with only 6 parts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The 74 will need 6 since it has a muzzle brake, these are the US made parts I used on mine.

Hammer - 1
Disconnector - 1
Trigger - 1
Pistol Grip - 1
Receiver - 1
Muzzle Brake - 1

I wish I could find someone that has US Made AK74 Mag Followers and Floorplates. Anyone know?

Also does a bayonet count as a muzzle attachment?

I just saw somewhere yesterday where a guy was making US stamped AK-74 mag floorplates that would fit any Bulgarian poly mags.  They looked real good but I can't remember where it was.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#9]
how many US parts are needed??
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have some U.S. Ak-47 followers I am guessing they wont work in 74 mags but if anyone is interested I have 4 maybe 5 for $10 shipped. Email me
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I was under the impression that bending your own reciever also counted as a part.

Right now I have

-front handguards
-rear stock (coming off)
-g2 trigger group
-gas piston
-US made ak74 pin on break
-and US mag followers.

Where do you get the baseplates at?

I am pretty sure I am compliant.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have the full breakdown handy, but an AK with no muzzle device has 15 total countable parts, 16 with a comp/flashhider of some kind.  Between the FCG (3 parts), gas piston, handguards (1 together), pistol grip, buttstock, receiver, and US made muzzle brakes you have more than enough parts selections that you can use to make it complaint with out ever worrying about mag parts.  Besides why limit yourself to which mags your gun is legal to have slapped in it??  Pick the easiest/cheapest 6 to add you want and be done with it.  Seems to me the way to go is with a US FCG, gas piston, pistol girp, and receiver...
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:48:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 11:00:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hammer - 1
Disconnector - 1
Trigger - 1
Pistol Grip - 1
Receiver - 1
Muzzle Brake - 1

So as far as you know, these are all the parts that I need to replace on an AK74 in order to be compliant with 922r?
Link Posted: 11/24/2004 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top