Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2003 6:06:35 PM EDT
Brought it home Saturday, beautiful blonde, beautiful finish, smooth and slick as silk.
Then I found out that looks and function are two different things.  Shot so far to the left, it was beyond the sight adjustment range.  With Campybobs help, we moved the FSB to compensate, but the deformity is so grave, its attractiveness is gone.  The only help is if I can find a custom builder that can align this rifle properly.  I learned something today, you DON'T always get what you pay for.  This rifle could not have possibly been test fired and released for sale by anyone with any quality control program.  Or anyone who gives a damn about the quailty of their product.  Buyer Beware of the Global products.  Your experience may differ.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:09:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a SSR-85 that shoots beautifully, and did so right out of the box.
Just needed a subtle windage adjustment.
I liked it so much I'm picking up another this week.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm happy for ya Boomholzer, I wish my experience was like yours.  I had the front sight pin all the way over to the left and it still was 8" off at 25 yds.  I hope your next one is as good as your first one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem may not be in the windage adjustment. A friend had a issues with the front site (on the bbl) being rotated out of axis.
You do site with the top of the front site post.
Check this out. I think it is a common problem.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear it plateshooter. I don't have a Global Trades rifle, though I would like one.

I had been looking at an SSR-85B, the SSR-56 just seems like it's made from parts from TOO many different sources. Maybe that is the problem.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not up on the variations but I believe the 85's to be Hungarian Rcvrs and Polish barrels.
Or atleast the 85C is.

Again check out the front post.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:35:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey plateshooter, sorry to hear about the issues.  That rifle really did look nice and it seemed like everything fit together pretty well.  Do you think it's the FSB that's off or something with the barrel?

Doesn't seem like we're doing too well - with Campy's G3, your AK and CP's CETME (said he found some rusty parts inside).  Hopefully I'll have better luck with my AR.

Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey plateshooter, sorry to hear about the issues.  That rifle really did look nice and it seemed like everything fit together pretty well.  Do you think it's the FSB that's off or something with the barrel?

Doesn't seem like we're doing too well - with Campy's G3, your AK and CP's CETME (said he found some rusty parts inside).  Hopefully I'll have better luck with my AR.

The varmit AR, I remember Campy's post now. So THATS the AK in question.

plateshooter, im sure your problem has a remedy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
The SSR-56 is a Chinese polytech barrel assembly with Bulgarian internals and wood, and a FEG receiver.  It's the smoothest AK I have ever racked, and has a wonderful trigger.  
I shoot my AKs alot, almost every weekend, and organized plate shoots once a month.  My Romanians and Russian have no problem with sight adjustment ranges.  It's a beautiful slick rifle, if it would only shoot properly.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered an SSR-56 about a month ago and had to send it back because the rear sight was canted to the right.  I figured that I payed this much money for a friggin AK the damn thing should be perfect.  I'm scheduled to get it back tomorrow and I will let you know if they fixed the problem.  You're right though it is very beautiful weapon and should shoot as good as it looks for as much as it costs.  Hopefully everything will get worked out and I will have a solid rifle with no more problems.  However, I will not do business with Global again in the future.  I don't believe their customer service is what it should be and this will be the downfall of them for me.  I would have rather payed another $300-$400 for a Kreb's or AK USA rifle if I knew they would do it right the first time around.  All I can say to you is call Jimmy Streetman w/Global and explain your problem.  Jimmy is a super nice guy and will be willing to take the rifle back and fix it.  Don't speak to anyone else except Jimmy.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#10]
00_Buckshot,  After reading your post, I stripped my rifle down to check the rear sight to see if it was canted.  I could'nt believe what I saw.  Looking from the rear, the entire barrel is misaligned, NOTHING lines up.  The barrel is definately not square with the reciever, it looks like it it way off to the left.  The rear sight isn't even close to being centered over the bore. The entire gun looks "bent" I sure hope these guys will make this right.  This thing is an abortion.  I will call and talk to Jimmy Streetman tomorrow.  Thanks for the tips.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Plateshooter,
Definetly send that rifle back and make them make it right.  My rifle was still accurate but that damn tilted rear sight forced them to position my front post way too far to the right in order for it to hit POA.  I couldn't stand it.  I could tell they did test fire mine because it was dead on accurate but still wasn't right in my opinion.  At 100 yards I was easily hitting old welding tanks that are only about 10" wide while shooting offhand and fairly rapidly as well.  I'll give you the low down on my rifle the minute I get it back and can get a chance to shoot it which will more than likely be after I get off work tomorrow.  Hang in there guy.  Sometimes shit happens.
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]

I could'nt believe what I saw.  Looking from the rear, the entire barrel is misaligned, NOTHING lines up.  The barrel is definately not square with the reciever, it looks like it it way off to the left.

Plate, let us know what Global has to say about it.  Don't forget that Frank & Karen guarentee their rifles, so I imagine you could go to them to get some satisfaction if Global jerks you around.  Sorry to hear about the problems.

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#14]
My SAR-1 shot point of aim out of the box.

Sorry to hear about all the misfortune.  Both rifles looked good to start with.  Sorta makes me glad I only bought parts that day as bad things are known to come in threes.  Hope engineer's RRA shoots straight.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:18:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My SAR-1 shot point of aim out of the box.

Sorry to hear about all the misfortune.  Both rifles looked good to start with.  Sorta makes me glad I only bought parts that day as bad things are known to come in threes.  Hope engineer's RRA shoots straight.

As much as I hate to say, I think our friend's CETME was #3.  He hasn't shot it yet, but said that some parts were pretty rusty when he took it apart.  I haven't looked at his yet, so I don't know the extent of the rust.

I test fired the AR at Grand River on Sunday and it seemed to cycle fine.  Now I need to get some optics on it to see how well it shoots.

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a maddi that was shooting the same way.  Turned out, when the barrel was made, the bore was formed crooked to the outside of the barrel.  Chris at AK-USA only found it after he tried crowing the barrel.

Brick
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:48:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I too had the SSR-56 blues. It shot accurately....when it fired. Mine had the failure too feed thing going and continued to do so even after one trip to the factory. I finally paid some extra bucks and traded it in for a SSR-85c with the FEG receiver (vs Ohio Ordanance receiver). I have no complaints with the people at Global though. They never gave me a hard time and did make it right.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Plateshooter,
I just received my rifle back today and it appears they didn't even fix the canted rear sight.  They touched up the finish and replaced the dinged up front handguard like I asked but the rear sight is still crooked.  It doesn't appear to be as canted as it originally was so I think I'm just going to live with it unless I find out it shoots like yours now.  I'm going to try an AK-USA or Krebs rifle my next time around.  I don't completely hate Global at this time but I'm not a big fan either and will have a very hard time recommending them to anyone.  Once they receive your rifle for repair keep on them and make sure you let them no you won't accept it any way but perfect when they're done.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#19]
plateshooter I posted my tale of woe here concerning Global products months ago and warned everyone Buyer Beware.Some guys swear by theirs and others have horror stories.
I bought myself a Christmas present last year a SSR-85B.Nice Lookin like you said .Then I tried to insert a mag.Wouldnt go in at all ! I couldnt believe it.How the heck could they assemble a rifle and then ship it out like that.Well they did.Mailed it back to them they fixed it but it was like they butchered the magwell to fix it.Man was I pissed.I told 'em either give me a brand new rifle or my monet.They said we cant.I mailed it back again they fixed it some more and cleaned it up but it definitely left a Bad Taste in my mouth.Sometimes the customer isnt right.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#20]
They are right down the street form me, about 15 miles on Highway 3.  Drove by the shop one Saturday.  The owners weren't in so I didn't get to see the place they make the rifles.

I am thinking about one of their WASR conversions for $380.00.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a SSR-85C that I have had great luck with, but this is just too many horror stories from what is supposed to be a major, respectable AK manufacturor.  I have been waiting for their SSR-74 to come out but now I may consider having a 74 built.  I hope someone at Global will read this post and take note.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the replies everyone, I talked to Jimmy Streetman today.  It was a short call due to the fact they had a hurricane going on there.
He told me to send the rifle back, which I am going to do.  I'm posting a couple of pics showing the barrel alignment using a 30 cal rod down the barrel to the rear trunion.  The first pic is my WASR10, $279.00 rifle, which is perfectly aligned:

This is the BIG BUCK rifle and how the barrel is aligned on it:

I'll post pics when the rifle comes back. I'm hoping it will come back at least as good as my WASR 10.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#23]
WOW, thanks for the pics PS.

Good info.  That is a waste of a good AK parts kit........ill be more observant in the future. Again, many thanks for sharing.

Good luck. Hope the return goes well.
Im not very up on AKs, ill have to get a exploded diagram and see how that could happen.

it the rcvr repairable?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Now that is funny.  Maybe when they test fire them, they should use a paper target and include that with the rifle as proof that the rifle does more than simply operate correctly.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:34:40 AM EDT
[#25]
I went over to Plateshooter's to take a look at the rifle last night.  Once you field strip the rifle and sight down it, it's fairly obvious to see that the barrel is not on straight.  The rifle is pretty much useless in the condition that it is in, unless you had the proverbial "charging horde of Chinese" at 2 yards, and then you might manage to get one of them.  Hopefully Global will make things right for plateshooter.

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Campy clone.

Utilitarian and functional: $350.00.

Link Posted: 8/16/2003 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Any updates on this?

I was looking to get a SSR-56 from GC, but everything I see on these forums about the GC SSR-56 is negative.
Link Posted: 8/16/2003 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Any updates on this?

I was looking to get a SSR-56 from GC, but everything I see on these forums about the GC SSR-56 is negative.

jtb33,

Check out this thread for the resolution of the issue: ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=57015
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top