AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/17/2011 6:19:56 PM EDT
Anyone use them? like them?
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Given the price, there's no reason to buy them instead of mil-surp magazines.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

This. It doesn't matter how good they are. They are three times more than I spend for my milsurp ones.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#3]
you get those only if youre an infidel warrior guerrilla...
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got two of them as part of a trade deal.  They work fine in all of my guns that were made to take a standard 30 round mag at the factory.  They did not fit in either of my WASR's until I did a little bit of grinding on the two sides of the magwell nearest to the front trunion.  After that they worked great and locked up tight with zero rattle in either gun, unlike the stock metal or polymer Circle 10 waffle mags.  The springs are strong as hell which is good because you can not disassemble them by non destructive means.  The polymer follower is perforated to allow water and crud to pass through them without jamming the follower.

Bottom line they're very good mags almost as good as Circle 10 Waffles and much better than commie metal mags but the msrp is kinda high.  However you can find them slightly used in the EE or on sale at One Source, etc... for significantly less.  That makes them a better deal than new polymer waffle mags.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
and much better than commie metal mags

How are they much better than the steel mags?  A mag either works or it doesn't.  All the steel mags are perfectly reliable and cost like $8.  They can be disassembled and cleaned, can't do that with a US palm.

They might be lighter, I'll give them that.  Its not going to be a huge difference though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. It doesn't matter how good they are. They are three times more than I spend for my milsurp ones.

Agreed. No way one Palm will outlast three mil-surplus.

p.s. I just love the "My Palm mags survived my w/e commando class so they must be better than battle-tested mil-surplus mags" comments. That's priceless.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#7]
There have been some issues like the bottom falling off and feed-lips breaking, since the "metal cage" doesn't cover certain parts (I think it was the feed lips that were all polymer)...so some people still prefer the Waffle circle 10s, which CAN be disassembled and have a longer track record and cost nearly the same or less (and show up on the EE a lot for less).  

AIM was shipping the Palm AK mags for free, so that was a big help and made buying them cheaper than at the tacticool One Source place with all their terrorist interdiction ninja gear.  I got two to try out and like them; they are a bit lighter and look better than the Circ10 bulgies, but I won't be buying any more until later revisions come out and they've earned a good track record.  

I fully support Palm (I hope to see them as the Magpul of the AK market) and would like to see more innovative stuff coming out from people like them and Texas Weapon Systems.

Even though I know a lot of people swear by the milsurp steal stuff, I like that polymer is lighter AND I've actually had my followers get stuck with two old mil-surp mags...but maybe they just needed new springs or something (all the milsurps I've had had weaker-feeling springs than my newer,  poly mags).
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are they much better than the steel mags?  A mag either works or it doesn't.  All the steel mags are perfectly reliable and cost like $8.  They can be disassembled and cleaned, can't do that with a US palm.

They might be lighter, I'll give them that.  Its not going to be a huge difference though.

Compared to metal mags they are lighter, they don't rust, The biggest advantage over metal mags is they don't dent when they hit the deck and stop working like metal mags can and do all the freakin time if you actually shoot your rifle outside and run the gun as opposed to babying it at a range table.  If you never do that kind of shooting then stick with metal mags.  They'll work great for you.  If you like to take carbine courses and train with your guns then polymer mags are way better.  Metal mags will not tolerate a lot of being swept from the magwell and hitting a hard surface like rocks or concrete.

You can clean TD mags all it takes is a good stiff handled brush and some elbow grease.  Will it be inspection clean? No.  It will be functionally clean.

From most of the posts here it seems that price is the determining and pretty much sole deciding factor for most of the posters.  If it is keep rocking what ya got cause good polymer mags ain't ever gonna be as cheap as metal, promag or CrapCo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Are there any other good made in USA mags out there?

Can a mag be used a a 922r compliance part?

Might be a good reason to own them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are there any other good made in USA mags out there?

Tapco AK mags are generally pretty solid and count as three 922 parts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compared to metal mags they are lighter, they don't rust, The biggest advantage over metal mags is they don't dent when they hit the deck and stop working like metal mags can and do all the freakin time if you actually shoot your rifle outside and run the gun as opposed to babying it at a range table.  If you never do that kind of shooting then stick with metal mags.  They'll work great for you.  If you like to take carbine courses and train with your guns then polymer mags are way better.  Metal mags will not tolerate a lot of being swept from the magwell and hitting a hard surface like rocks or concrete.

You can clean TD mags all it takes is a good stiff handled brush and some elbow grease.  Will it be inspection clean? No.  It will be functionally clean.

From most of the posts here it seems that price is the determining and pretty much sole deciding factor for most of the posters.  If it is keep rocking what ya got cause good polymer mags ain't ever gonna be as cheap as metal, promag or CrapCo.

haha.. no need to take it personal, I was just curious about your reasons.

I have a variety of mags.  From steel, aluminum, bakelite, to polymer.

When I was an infantryman in the Army, I beat the piss out of weapons and mags.  All we had was the flimsy aluminum M4 mags and I never once saw one get damaged to the point of failure.  The amount of abuse I put them through without failure leave me not even remotely concerned about damaging steel AK mags.

Whats the main sign of a quality polymer mag?  It's reinforced with steel..haha
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#12]
My experience is that if it's made by US Palm, it's of good quality.  I've not had any of their products that I've found to be inferior.  Everything from mags to chest rigs are first rate.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
haha.. no need to take it personal, I was just curious about your reasons.

I have a variety of mags.  From steel, aluminum, bakelite, to polymer.

When I was an infantryman in the Army, I beat the piss out of weapons and mags.  All we had was the flimsy aluminum M4 mags and I never once saw one get damaged to the point of failure.  The amount of abuse I put them through without failure leave me not even remotely concerned about damaging steel AK mags.

Whats the main sign of a quality polymer mag?  It's reinforced with steel..haha

+1

I see two main flaws in these mags:

1)  Lack of metal feed lips

2)  Cannot be disassembled for cleaning

The Russians and former Eastern Block countries along with countless other countries using the AK platform weren't/aren't gentle with their metal or metal/polymer hybrid magazines.  They have decades of combat experience with them in the most inhospitable environments.  And you can't beat the price.

When you can say that about the US Palm mags and can buy them for the same price then they would be worth looking into.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Steel AK mags have been in use for over 60 years, in every conceivable environment.  They have and continue to be used HARD,by soldiers in actual combat- certainly not "babying them off a range table" or at some three day, make believe class.....
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 6:39:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Steel AK mags have been in use for over 60 years, in every conceivable environment.  They have and continue to be used HARD,by soldiers in actual combat- certainly not "babying them off a range table" or at some three day, make believe class.....

+1

a design that is more than "proven"

they have , as well as the AK rifle...probably defined the term "proven" really.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#16]

I thought this was the only reason to purchase a US AK mag.  3 US parts.  GARY  N4KVE

Link Posted: 2/19/2011 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#17]
They look allright, but seem overpriced for what they are. Also don't like that the feed lips are not steel.
Not being able to disassemble them doesn't cause me much grief.
If they were $20 each I might buy a couple to try out, but not at $30.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 10:25:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No way man, carbine classes are the ultimate proving ground for mags.  Forget they 60 years of battlefield use the steel mags have, a few days of mags hitting the ground in a carbine class is serious business
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you like to take carbine courses and train with your guns then polymer mags are way better.  Metal mags will not tolerate a lot of being swept from the magwell and hitting a hard surface like rocks or concrete.

You think carbine course commandos run weapons harder than someone in combat?
You've never been in combat.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No way man, carbine classes are the ultimate proving ground for mags.  Forget they 60 years of battlefield use the steel mags have, a few days of mags hitting the ground in a carbine class is serious business

Made me laugh, nice one :)

Z
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 1:27:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, the carbine course comment made me think Gabe Suarez has gone back to creating fake accounts at gun websites to promote his courses and the products he sells (by the way, the low-profile "Terrorist Interdiction Bags" that look uber-tactical are back in stock!!!  Get them now before the kenyan, nazi, maoist liberals come for you in the night!!!).  

That said, I do prefer the Bulgy 10 waffles...maybe I'm the only one, but I've had lots of issues with many of the surplus eastern european mags I've had.  The bulgy's (and my two PALMs) just seem to load up with a more consistent and smooth feeling, and have never had a jammed follower.  Also, I don't think the military analogy is totally fair because mil-mags do go down but there were always more laying around––at home and at a class, you might not have access to large supply of extras.  For example, batteries sometimes get changed daily and nearly new ones are thrown out––but now that I pay for them, I buy nice lithium ones but only replace them like every 6-8 months in my Eotech...and every year in my flashlights and Trijicon RMR.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#22]
You could have seen what they were like on one I cut in half, but for some reason the thread here in the magazine section showing the entire interior has suddenly disappeared in the last month.

Last I am going to say about them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2011 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#23]
This is what I remember most of TD/US Palm when I see these threads (team members only I'm afraid):

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=4&f=55&t=127982

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=1028446

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I have no idea how many revisions they've been through now or if they've been through any.

I know the ones myself and others ran in a class sucked.

I'd never trust anyone who released what i got and called it the best ak mag ever

eta the ones i got the feedlips broke

Link Posted: 2/20/2011 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
This is what I remember most of TD/US Palm when I see these threads (team members only I'm afraid):

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=4&f=55&t=127982

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=1028446

Ouch!  I didn't know about all that.

It doesn't change my opinion.  Product in search of a solution.  Only surplus/mil-spec AK mags for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 7:30:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I was wrong.  The pictures of one I cut in half are still here.  Just have to go to the bottom of page 7 of the magazine section to see them.  They are on page two of the thread Palm Failure.
Link Posted: 2/20/2011 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I use both on the Traditonal AK rifles I have I do the metal surpluss or original mags and on the Black AR looking AK,s I use either Tapcos or Pro-Mags... But I cant see spending that much on the PM just tooo much money...
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#28]
There have been several recent reports of the bottom of the mag failing.  I'll see if I can locate the posts about them.  The pictures posted by several people show that the bottom of the mag appears to be glued on with a couple of drops of crazy glue..............................The people that posted the reviews containing the pictures were supposedly banned from a certain individual's website forum who sells and touts the mags.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#29]
I don't own any and don't plan on buying any as I find military surplus to be fine.  Here are some links and pictures lifted from other sites.  The pictures are not mine.  Draw your own conclusions..........................

Review 1

Review 2

Review 3

The company supposedly replaced the mags and provided extras free.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Despite the nay sayers, they are great magazines.  The PMags and ARC mags were despised by a lot of arfcomers, now they are the standard by which others are judged.  Thus far US Palm is the only reputable US Ak magazine maker.  
I own several and recommend them without reservation.  If you prefer steel mags then cool, but be fair and don't knock a company that is actually trying to make quality US parts for the AK.  The future is uncertain for AK owners and if there is to be a future it is going to have to be from US manufacturers.    

BTW, they are actually manufactured by Tango Down.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The future is uncertain for AK owners and if there is to be a future it is going to have to be from US manufacturers.    

If you're right, I'm glad I have all the AKs and magazines I'll ever need.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Of note on the pictures Mak posted, the adhesive they use is some molecular adhesive, its not super glue.  Also, the employee that was incharge of putting them together did such a poor job, he was let go.

I have four of them.  I like them alright.  I sat down with an AK while watching Red Dawn, and loaded 2 of the mags while leaving the other two empty.  I proceeded to do the "mag bash" magazine removal by using the loaded ones to bang out the empty ones, and vise versa.  I've had them no for going on 5 months.  I havent been able to break them, and thats saying something for my oft clumsy self.
Link Posted: 2/21/2011 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Despite the nay sayers, they are great magazines.  The PMags and ARC mags were despised by a lot of arfcomers, now they are the standard by which others are judged.  Thus far US Palm is the only reputable US Ak magazine maker.  
I own several and recommend them without reservation.  If you prefer steel mags then cool, but be fair and don't knock a company that is actually trying to make quality US parts for the AK.  The future is uncertain for AK owners and if there is to be a future it is going to have to be from US manufacturers.    

BTW, they are actually manufactured by Tango Down.

The standard for AK mags are mil-surplus. Great value, reliable, battle-proven mags. And, the Circle 10 mags pretty much set a high standard from all I read and in my handling of them. And, these are all imports.

The point many make IMO, including myself:
1) "Trying" to make a quality product is not making one. US car companies for years have made inferior products that cost more and then they try to push our patriotism button to "Buy American" regardless. How about this: Make a better, more competative product in the first place. IMO, same concept here.
2) $30 for an AK mag (when mil-surplus mags are <$10): It better be the best. Period. No excuses. No exceptions.

As for US made AKs being "the future", if a $30 mag sets the price standard of the gun, I'll won't buy a US AK. The AK design is unrefined. So, IMO, the selling point for the AK is a cheap gun, that's cheap, that works. An expensive US made AK is still a cheap gun that (hopefully still) works, and this has little interest to me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#34]
As in true arfcommer fashion, the people that do the most bashing of a product are the ones that have never tried it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

As in true arfcommer fashion, the people that do the most bashing of a product are the ones that have never tried it.

Hi Gabe.

Link Posted: 2/22/2011 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I have never touched these. I probably won't either, not anytime soon. The price is too high IMO for an AK mag. Plenty of valid points on that in this thread already. The biggest factors for me are the inability to service the mag, springs will wear out no matter how strong they are, and they are just f'ing ugly!
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is enough for me not to buy any. I can't see paying $30 for something that does in fact have reported issues...reported by people that have them and use them.

Z

Link Posted: 2/22/2011 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Why not get the whole story?  How about asking the guy that owned those mags how he feels now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#39]
They are 30 bucks each. What else needs to be known?
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#40]
I know three things about PALM mags for sure.  Well actually 4 things.

1.  If Generation 1 ones are left loaded in an air conditioned room for 6 months they will break the feed lips.

2.  They are a pain in the butt to cut in half.

3.  If you do NOT praise them as the BEST you can be expected to be attacked for SOMETHING!

And last but not least.........

4.  I will NOT be buying anymore of them!!!!!!!!!  All the more for TENN to buy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#41]

1) "Trying" to make a quality product is not making one. US car companies for years have made inferior products that cost more and then they try to push our patriotism button to "Buy American" regardless. How about this: Make a better, more competative product in the first place. IMO, same concept here.
LOL. My buddy watches the Superbowl & see's the Chrysler ad about Detroit, & decides to be patriotic & buy's a Dodge pickup. Beautiful truck, but the VIN starts with "3",  so I tell him "nice truck, but Mexicans built it, not Americans". Boy was he pissed. But I must admit, it was very well made, & rides nice. Let's see in 2 years how it is.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 2/22/2011 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Based on those photos, the floorplate is just glued straight up onto the mag body vs. sliding on? The idea it will come unglue and pop off sucks.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 12:13:10 AM EDT
[#43]
If you are looking for some 922 love just get the bulgarian waffles and put K-Var U.S. floorplates and followers in them.  You'll get the best polymer mag you can buy and 2 922 parts taken care of.  The US Palm mags are junk a total waste of your time and money.  If you don't need the 922 parts then just buy some steel commy mags while their cheap again.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#44]
it seems like no metal in the feed lips and non removable base plates is a step backwards....
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 12:10:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you like to take carbine courses and train with your guns then polymer mags are way better.  Metal mags will not tolerate a lot of being swept from the magwell and hitting a hard surface like rocks or concrete.

Well Gee, why don't you enlighten us there PolyPam?  Please tell us what combat is really like using an AK as your primary weapon there comrade.  While you are at it tell me where the hell did I say that a carbine course was harder on a weapon than combat in one of my posts?

For all you other 2 cent conspiracy theorists out there go back and get someone who can actually read to look at my posts.  I said Bulgy Circle 10  Waffle mags were in fact the best, not TD mags.  While you're at it explain to the class if all metal mags are soooooooooooo superior why the russians and every friggin body else who had the necessary industrial technology base started making their AK mags out of bakelite and other polymers a long long time ago?

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

*snip* why the russians and every friggin body else who had the necessary industrial technology base started making their AK mags out of bakelite and other polymers a long long time ago?

because they speed load faster

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well Gee, why don't you enlighten us there PolyPam?  Please tell us what combat is really like using an AK as your primary weapon there comrade.  

SNIP

While you're at it explain to the class if all metal mags are soooooooooooo superior why the russians and every friggin body else who had the necessary industrial technology base started making their AK mags out of bakelite and other polymers a long long time ago?

It's impossible to describe the experience of combat to one who hasn't been there. I wouldn't have to tell you that if you had been there.

The Soviets made magazines out of resin ("Bakelite") and plastic because doing so is less expensive than making them out of metal. Given that fact, the cost of the USP magazines (3X the cost of surplus) is kind of ironic isn't it?

Link Posted: 2/23/2011 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The biggest advantage over metal mags is they don't dent when they hit the deck and stop working like metal mags can and do all the freakin time if you actually shoot your rifle outside and run the gun as opposed to babying it at a range table.  If you never do that kind of shooting then stick with metal mags.  They'll work great for you.  If you like to take carbine courses and train with your guns then polymer mags are way better.  Metal mags will not tolerate a lot of being swept from the magwell and hitting a hard surface like rocks or concrete.

I've decided to quote this as someone seems to have forgotten what he's said previously.
The metal surplus magazines are proven in combat. According to this post the USP magazines are "proven"  to be better than metal suplus magazines in the harsh envirionment of the carbine class.
One naturally concludes from that statement that the author believes that carbine class is a better proving ground for magazines than is combat.
One naturally concludes from that statement that the author is completely unfamiliar with combat.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The biggest advantage over metal mags is they don't dent when they hit the deck and stop working like metal mags can and do all the freakin time if you actually shoot your rifle outside and run the gun as opposed to babying it at a range table.  If you never do that kind of shooting then stick with metal mags.  They'll work great for you.  If you like to take carbine courses and train with your guns then polymer mags are way better.  Metal mags will not tolerate a lot of being swept from the magwell and hitting a hard surface like rocks or concrete.

I've decided to quote this as someone seems to have forgotten what he's said previously.

The metal surplus magazines are proven in combat. According to this post the USP magazines are "proven"  to be better than metal suplus magazines in the harsh envirionment of the carbine class.

One naturally concludes from that statement that the author believes that carbine class is a better proving ground for magazines than is combat.

One naturally concludes from that statement that the author is completely unfamiliar with combat.

I dont conclude any of that.

In fact in the paragraph you quoted, I see no reference to US PALM.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I dont conclude any of that.  

In fact in the paragraph you quoted, I see no reference to US PALM.

Context son.
Read the thread title.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top