Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/8/2011 6:19:09 AM EDT
Hello folks.  So I just purchased an Ak-47 with an NDS-3 receiver.  Unfortunately, I am new to the AK game and I don't know shit else about this rifle?  I have owned a WASR and Bulgy 74, but I did not care to research anything about them, but I am becoming more interested in the AK platform.  There are so many countries that produce them, is there a way to tell them apart?  

Are the NDS/DC Industries receivers American made?  What does that mean for the rest of my rifle...is it a kit build or factory build?  Is there a method to tell these apart?  My buddy said he believes it's "Russian," but how the hell can you tell that (he didn't know, of course)?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The NDS-3 receiver is made by Nodak Spud, its a US receiver
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
what he said. And a large majority of the AKs sold in the US are made from demilled kits from other countries.

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What does that mean for the rest of my rifle...is it a kit build or factory build?  Is there a method to tell these apart?  My buddy said he believes it's "Russian," but how the hell can you tell that (he didn't know, of course)?

It's built from a kit.
If you provide a description of the markings stamped above the left side of the receiver and the numbers on all or most of the parts match, someone can tell you where the donor rifle was made.

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 8:32:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does that mean for the rest of my rifle...is it a kit build or factory build?  Is there a method to tell these apart?  My buddy said he believes it's "Russian," but how the hell can you tell that (he didn't know, of course)?

It's built from a kit.
If you provide a description of the markings stamped above the left side of the receiver and the numbers on all or most of the parts match, someone can tell you where the donor rifle was made.

Oh, perfect!  That was going to be me next question...I am at work, but I will get to it this evening, hopefully.  Thank you!

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:40:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Put up pics! Folks here can then tell you where most if not all the parts came from.

Get good pics of the rivet work too.

Who'd you buy it from?
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#6]
yeah, I'll do that.  I picked it up from a local pawn shop.  Almost every AK I looked at had the Tapco G2 trigger, which I really like, but this one does not.  The trigger on it is very smooth.  I will get some pics up.  Since I'm new at this, when posting serial numbers, I know not to put the entire sequence on the web, but which would I need to post for you folks to know about the rifle, would it be the beginning three or four or the ending three or four digits?  As far as the rivets are concerned, I can see where there have been several holes on the receiver covered/welded over, but I'll try to get some pics going this evening...I work two jobs and get home pretty late, but I'll try to get it done tonight.  Thanks all for your help.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
yeah, I'll do that.  I picked it up from a local pawn shop.  Almost every AK I looked at had the Tapco G2 trigger, which I really like, but this one does not.  The trigger on it is very smooth.  I will get some pics up.  Since I'm new at this, when posting serial numbers, I know not to put the entire sequence on the web, but which would I need to post for you folks to know about the rifle, would it be the beginning three or four or the ending three or four digits?  As far as the rivets are concerned, I can see where there have been several holes on the receiver covered/welded over, but I'll try to get some pics going this evening...I work two jobs and get home pretty late, but I'll try to get it done tonight.  Thanks all for your help.

Try to post the first few digits, but more importantly are the markings near the #. Like a triangle with an arrow inside facing up, or a 11 in a circle, or a 66 in a triangle etc.  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 5:07:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay lads, here's some photos (if I did this right).  The number on the bottom of the receiver in front of the magwell begins with 3000 if that tells you anything else.  Also, there is a triangle stamped on the bolt with a 6 in the center of it.  Here are the photos, help me identify what you can, please?  

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The trunnion and rear sight base are from a Romanian rifle made in 1985 for the Civil Guard. The trigger appears to be Romanian made as well.
Check your IMs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#10]
does Romanian = crap?  The trigger seems to be good.  I have not expereinced what others call "trigger slap".  Is that common with non-Tapco triggers?  Wow, I'm quite the dumbass, huh?  
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#11]
People who spend a lot of money for an AK will tell you Romanian rifles aren't as good as theirs.
When you hear that DO NOT ask them to tell you exactly how a more expensive one is better. When they can't tell you that it's more accurate or more reliable than an inexpensive one, they tend to get angry.
The truth is that the AK was designed to go bang when the trigger was pulled, hit a man at moderate range AND be inexpensive to produce.
If your example of the rifle will perform as designed, that's enough.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top