Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/13/2010 5:17:50 PM EDT
I had a Ruger SR-556 and found it to be a mighty fine Zombie killer.  However, I just could not warm up to the .223 round.  A Marine friend explained to me that after his two stints in Iraq (he is a medic for an entry type team and he saw a lot of action), they trained 3 shots in the body, 2 in the head with their M4s.  Anyway, I sold the SR-556 and was without an assault rifle with 30 round magazines (unless we cound my gorgeous old .30 Carbine, but it's too valuable to seriously consider shooting if the stuff hits the fan.

I felt a .308 would be nice, but I remember shooting a friend's HK 91 and not really liking the recoil much.  It didn't hurt, but it sure was sharp.

I had an SKS years ago because the rifle was $109 and the ammo was $1.90 for 20 rounds.  I always liked the 7.62x39 round.

Then I saw the Centurion 39 from Century Int'l Arms.  I now have one.  It is my first experience with an AK and the first I've ever held.  NEATO!  I like it a whole lot!

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion001.jpg

I like the red front sight, adjustable for windage rear sight, and the milled receiver.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion009.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion010.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion006.jpg

I took it to the range on Friday, but I could only shoot it at 25 yards.  The 100 yard stations were all taken by the deer hunters sighting in their rifles.  I was really happy with the Centurion 39.  It shot great with no problems at all.  The trigger measures five and a half pounds on my Lyman digital trigger gauge with no overtravel at all.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#1]
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion002.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion003.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion004.jpg

The recoil was as I anticipated, which is to say not much at all.

This was one of my first 5 shot 25 yard groups after I adjusted the sights just a smidgen.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion010-1.jpg

This is 10 shots at 25 yards, shooting pretty quick.  I tend to shoot a little high because I wind up holding a bit high, even when sandbag resting.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion014.jpg

I just ordered a Hogue Monogrip because I have large hands and the factory (Tapco) grip's finger grooves don't line up for me at all.  I have a Hogue on an AR-15 at work and it's comfortable.

I also ordered a 6 position collapsible stock that should fit the milled steel receiver and I have a 10 shot magazine coming since the 30 rounder is  a bit hard to use when sandbag shooting.

I love this Made in the USA Centurion 39.  I would like to put my spare Leupold 3-9x40 scope on it somehow and ring out some 100 yard accuracy and see how it does!

-Steve
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Finally a forum member has one of these.  Everyone has been curious about them.  I would love it if you could post close up pics of all the parts like the bolt carrier, bolt, gas tube, etc.  So we can see if they are all obviously US made or not.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it. Where did you buy it from?

Also, we dont have medics in the Marine Corps. Was he a corpsman (navy)?
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that an adjustable rear sight on that rifle? Does it have a set screw to lock it the adjustment?
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Save your self some time and take the plastic sight post out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Save your self some time and take the plastic sight post out.

Humm......I think the red plastic is really pretty

Link Posted: 11/13/2010 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks really nice. Please take a few more shots of the internals and close ups of the gas tube, bolt and carrier if you could. I'm very curious if those are US made or not.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 1:22:27 AM EDT
[#8]
It certainly looks like a beautiful rifle. I am intrigued by it. I wonder why they did didn't bother with bayo lug on it?
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 1:51:43 AM EDT
[#9]
My friend is a fireman and he is a Marine, but the term "medic" was just my own.   I'm not sure what his official title would be, but since he is a paramedic for his full time job, that's what he did with his unit over there.

I have to work today, but I'll take more photos on Monday/Tuesday since those are my days off.  When I picked the rifle up at my FFL, he perused it and was very impressed.  I have to figure out how to take it apart since the AK is one of the few guns I am unfamiliar with.  

Yes, the rear sight has an Allen screw to adjust it for windage.  I made sure I had the right size Allen wrench before I went to the range, but when I made sure I could loosen the screw, I moved the sight a smidge.  Otherwise, I think it would have been right on at 100 yards.  When I was at the range, I just had to move it back to the center.  There are little hash marks on the top of the rear sight to line it up when adjusting it.  I guess other AK47s don't have this adjustment feature?

More photos to come!
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#10]
That muzzle brake looks interesting
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I guess other AK47s don't have this adjustment feature?

More photos to come!

Your rifle is quite a bit different than standard AKs.  Supposedly yours is 100% US made, so it has some differences when compared to the foreign made AKs that are all over the market.  The foreign rifles don't have windage adjustable rear sights(some do, but for the most part they are the minority).. all sight adjusting is done at the front sight.

Other differences I can see with your rifle is the gas block, front sight base, and I've seen that the bolt carriers are different too.

I'm going to stick to foreign AKs until someone makes a US one that is identical to the foreign guns.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been waiting almost a year for a review on one of these and unsurprisingly, it comes from a non-AK enthusiast. I'm glad the review is up, I'm really hoping to see what the itnernals on this thing look like, but it looks like a decent rifle for the most part. The muzzle brake is kind of... umm... interesting and I'm not really diggin the stamped dust cover or furniture, but it looks like a pretty stout rifle.

Glad you like it OP, I hope  you share a few more pics with us later on.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Thanks for the review, Steve. It's odd how hard it's been to find any actual photos of it.

Am I seeing that serial correctly?  First one?
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 5:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for sharing.  Been curious about this rifle for a while.  The windage adjustment on the rear site is nice....  It's a huge pain in the ass on a regular AK.
Link Posted: 11/14/2010 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for the review, Steve. It's odd how hard it's been to find any actual photos of it.

Am I seeing that serial correctly?  First one?

No- he blurred the digits after the 1. Looks nice.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 4:29:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I blurred the last two digits.  Sorry about that, it does look like I got serial number 1 doesn't it?  Alright, I'm off to take some photos.  Hopefully I'll figure out how to get it back together again!  I might be back for help!
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#17]
That actually looks nice.  As others have said, I would probably ditch the plastic front sight though.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 4:39:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#19]
There is a rather short list of firearms I have not owned, shot, or at least messed around with a bit.  The Broomhandle Mauser and the AK47 are two I can think of.  I've dealt with just about everything else.  The Centurion 39 Owner's Manual has the best step by step, easy to understand, and thorough take down/reassembly instructions I've ever read.  Of course, the AK design is rather simple.  But explaining how to position the bolt in the carrier and how to press down to overcome the hammer spring tension was very well done.

I took a bunch of photos and I'm heading out to Cabelas today to buy some more ammo (with my two $10 off coupons in hand!).  I noticed that the Herters ammo is available in 122 grain and a heavier round (I think 150-something grains).  Is there anything I should know about the heavier bullets?  I figure I'll buy a little bit of everything, with most being soft point 122 grain 7.62x39 with brass cases and non corrosive.

Here's the pics, I hope I got some quality close ups of what those of you interested in this rifle want to see:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion015.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion016.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion020.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion021.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion022.jpg

Link Posted: 11/15/2010 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That lightened bolt carrier is very interesting. Wonder what else they've changed, and why...

Maybe to not need as large of a gas port? I'm just guessing though. Also maybe because of the heavier milled receiver.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Are the muzzle threads the standard M14x1 LHT?
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I am gonna admit I find that rifle uniquely hot looking, I think I may want one.

Thanks for posting the pics and putting up the review.

hmmmmm new things
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#25]
That sure is a funny looking bolt carrier!  GARY  N4KVE
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#26]
i like it looks well built.
Link Posted: 11/15/2010 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll admit, for a Century it looks really nice.

Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I was going to take the Centurion 39 out shooting again this Friday, but I just got reassigned at work and I won't be able to go.  Bummer.  I ordered a replacement receiver cover with the set screws that has a scope mount built in.  I am going to mount my Leupold 3-9x40 Vari-X1 scope on this new cover to see how the Centurion shoots at 100 yards.  But it's going to have to wait until next Friday.  I have a couple inexpensive red dot electronic sights I can mess around with too, plus a friend at work has an Eotech I think I may be able to borrow.  Much more to come!
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Wow, somebody finally posted nice pics of that gun. Looks a lot better than I anticipated. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#30]
The 10 round Tapco mag arrived today in the mail along with the Hogue grip and the collapsible M4 style Tapco stock.  

The Hogue grip is a gigantic improvement over the factory plastic grip.  The Monogrip fits me perfectly and feels fantastic.  The 10 round mag looks cute if "cute" is an adjective that is allowed to be attributed to an AK-47.  The M4 style stock is not cut for the extra double screw lower tang that the Centurion 39 features.  I used my Dremel to get it to fit and it's on and it works fine.  The lower tang sticks out, but it's not really in the way.  If I decide to never, ever, ever want to put the factory fixed stock back on, I may just bend or cut off the lower grip tang.

For now, it's decked out with a vertical foregrip, TRL-1 on the right rail, and a red dot on the top.

I think the Leupold will work really nice when I get the receiver cover mount.  

Hopefully pics tomorrow!

My buddy mentioned that his parents have a farm about an hour and a half away where we might be able to shoot a whole bunch of ammo and have a blast.  He has a Ruger SR-556 and it would be a neat comparison.
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#31]
That rifle actually looks like it's made rather well.....I think I'm gonna puke
Link Posted: 11/17/2010 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm going to diverge from the pack here and say that I think it's hideous.  It's like if an airsoft designer created an AK from memory - looks kinda AK-like, but looks wrong with the rails, strange stock angle, odd cast-looking front sight (not saying it is cast - it just looks like old cast AR sights to me), and that dang ugly muzzle brake.

To each his own, and I hope you have a blast shooting it and find it uber-reliable.  But it just looks too weird to me.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#33]
the bolt carrier kinda worries me, with the holes and all.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#34]
the stock is not a strange angle... it is at the angle that milled AKs should be.  AKM have the straight line higher comb stock.  I read that the bolt carrier has "holes" in it to allow proper metal flow as part of the casting process.  I agree that it looks better than i was expecting!  now, i would like to see a review with at least 500 rds down the barrel to see how the rails/ ejector hold up.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm going to diverge from the pack here and say that I think it's hideous.  It's like if an airsoft designer created an AK from memory - looks kinda AK-like, but looks wrong with the rails, strange stock angle, odd cast-looking front sight (not saying it is cast - it just looks like old cast AR sights to me), and that dang ugly muzzle brake.

Ah , but the Furniture and muzzle brake can be changed.

What matters is how it performs.

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's a pic of the Centurion 39 with a Tapco milled receiver M4 style collapsible stock (Note the bottom tang sticking out.  I'm not quite ready to bend it and trim it yet.  If I decide to keep the Tapco on it permanently, then I will.) and the outstanding Hogue Monogrip.  The Hogue is just leaps ahead of the plastic grip that came on the gun.  

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Meggitt011.jpg

The Tapco M4 stock fits and feels fantastic too!

The scope mount cover arrived today.  I'll fit my Leupold scope to it tonight and then hopefully take a picture tomorrow.  

I can't get to the range soon enough, but it won't probably be for a week....
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#37]
I am glad you are happy with your purchase, after all that is all that really matters.

But, since this is a review I feel entitled to state my opinion like others.

Personally, I think it looks like you should have bought another AR15. Outside of that, for almost $1,200 I think its overpriced but to be expected when made all in the U.S.

The bolt worries me too like others have said, the front sight is laughable, the rails to me don't belong on the rifle and neither does muzzle comp. For the price I would like to have seem some wood on it and not plastic.

It looks well crafted, but when there are so many other AK's imported that demand less a premium and of equal to > quality this rifle just doesn't make any sense.

I guess for $1,200 I was expecting a lot more. The only thing of interest to me is the adjustable rear sight.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#38]
$1200 may have been the MSRP ten months ago, but current selling prices are just under $800 shipped or even less.

Example:  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=201843003

If I can clarify my desire for this gun.  I've had AR-15's and they do nothing for me.  The .223 round just doesn't interest me due to its lack of stopping power.  A .308 interests me, but the cost of the rifles available in this caliber and the cost of the ammo is just too much.  The recoil isn't super harsh, but it is more than an AK47's 7.62x39 round (at lieast in the HK91 I have fired).

There is a mystique about the AK47 and to me, an American made AK47 is even neater on the neato meter.  In my mind, I'm comparing this AK47 style rifle price wise, not to less expensive, stamped steel AK47s, but rather to well made .223 caliber AR-15s that cost a bit more.

This Centurion 39 sure got a lot of positive attention at the range last week!  

It will be interesting to see how it shoots at 100 yards....
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The scope mount cover arrived today.

I hope you didn't spend a lot of money on that.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
the stock is not a strange angle... it is at the angle that milled AKs should be.  AKM have the straight line higher comb stock.  I read that the bolt carrier has "holes" in it to allow proper metal flow as part of the casting process.  I agree that it looks better than i was expecting!  now, i would like to see a review with at least 500 rds down the barrel to see how the rails/ ejector hold up.

advntrjnky

The stock on this rifle doesn't seem to have the milled stock angle, it is more like an AKM type stock that was made to fit a milled receiver.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
$1200 may have been the MSRP ten months ago, but current selling prices are just under $800 shipped or even less.
I can appreciate they have come down in value around the $800+ mark. That seems a lot more reasonable compared to foreign AK's w/ milled receivers

There is a mystique about the AK47 and to me, an American made AK47 is even neater on the neato meter.  In my mind, I'm comparing this AK47 style rifle price wise, not to less expensive, stamped steel AK47s, but rather to well made .223 caliber AR-15s that cost a bit more.
I also can appreciate there are going to be a crowd of people who think U.S. made AK's are cool. I have nothing against that but most in the purist crowd kinda see this rifle differently. Again I am sure it is well crafted and put together nicely, but to me with the rails, AR style adjustable stock and pistol grip currently on there it makes this rifle look like it is wanting to be an AR. I know it is your creation and I am not knocking what your vision is, rather there are two sides to the AK forum....1) Those who keep their AK's more pure to the original look/design....2) And those who mod them out w/ plastic stocks and other goodies to come up with their vision. I hope you don't take what I am saying in the wrong way, so far you seem level headed and seem to understand when you post a review it will get critiqued by a few.

Again the rifle is very nice, I am just one of those guys who would spend their money on a more original foreign AK. I am just having a hard time seeing Century charging $1,200 to start now down to $800 knowing the quality of their builds over the years have left a lot to be desired.

Link Posted: 11/18/2010 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

advntrjnky

A cast bolt That doesn't sound milspec as all the countries who make them machine the bolts.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 3:42:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
[A cast bolt.

Hopefully, it's only the carrier that's cast, not the bolt.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 3:52:51 AM EDT
[#44]
The scope mount cover was $19.99 from CDNN.  It came with two pairs of Allen head screws, one pair short and one pair long.  I needed the long ones.  Once tightened down, there is zero movement of the cover.  It will be interesting to see how this rifle groups at 100 yards with a quality Leupold scope mounted up top.  I like that the see through mount allows me to still use the iron (and red plastic) sights.  I used this same scope on my Ruger SR-556 to get 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards with cheap ammo and a dirty barrel.

haLfLiFe:  I totally understand where you're coming from.  I have some guns I prefer to leave bone stock and I have many more I prefer to modify heavily.  You've got my purpose down exactly.  I want to make this Centurion 39 into a 7.62x39 version of an AR.  I love the cartridge for its inexpensive cost, its power, and its lack of heavy recoil.  I've always felt that the AK47 has survived for 63 years, not only because it was cheap to make and functioned all the time, but because it worked.  I really liked the Hogue Monogrip and the M4 style stock on the Ruger.  Now I have those two options on an AK variant.  I also like a vertical foregrip.  The rail on the Centurion 39 gives me that option, along with a light on the right and the easy ability to mount a forward electronic red dot on the top forward rail.

When I first saw the Centurion 39 at the IACP Conference with its American Flag on the frame, it got my attention.  When I hefted it and worked the bolt and shoulder it and tried the trigger, I was sold!

So far it's been 100% with funcition and the accuracy is fine, but 25 yards isn't a true measure.  I did shoot it standing at 50 yards and I never missed the black bullseye (or pink since my targets are pink to make it easier to see the holes made by the fired rounds).  I know this gun is not meant to be a sniper rifle, but I am interested to see how it does at 100 yards.  If I'm lucky, I may shoot it the day after Thanksgiving at the range!
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 3:54:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Have you looked at the Saiga 308?
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:23:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Well, despite the frost, there was enough light this morning for me to take a photo before heading off to class.  I'm ready for the range in a week!  Here ya go:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion052.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q187/mm6mm6/Centurion053.jpg

I'm asking for an "I (heart) my AK-47" tshirt for Christmas....
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The scope mount cover was $19.99 from CDNN.  It came with two pairs of Allen head screws, one pair short and one pair long.  I needed the long ones.  Once tightened down, there is zero movement of the cover.

Even if the cover doesn't move under recoil,   there's still the problem of return to zero when you replace the cover after maintenance.
In any case, even if you find it doesn't work out, it's only 20 bucks down the tube.

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:40:41 AM EDT
[#48]
there was a pretty good write up in Shotgun News about 6 months ago and said that most every part on the Centurion 39 is cast except the barrel....receiver and all.  as for a cast bolt.....ruger m77 have cast bolts and are plenty srtong.  I am not opposed to cast or MIM parts, I just want them done correctly.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:50:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
 as for a cast bolt.....ruger m77 have cast bolts and are plenty srtong.  

Unless Ruger started out making M77 rifles with forged bolts and then switched to castings, you're comparing apples to oranges.
When you design a part to be cast, you can make the necessary allowances.
That's not possible when you take a part that was designed to be forged and reproduce it by casting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 5:00:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 as for a cast bolt.....ruger m77 have cast bolts and are plenty srtong.  

Unless Ruger started out making M77 rifles with forged bolts and then switched to castings, you're comparing apples to oranges.
When you design a part to be cast, you can make the necessary allowances.
That's not possible when you take a part that was designed to be forged and reproduce it by casting.

hence my earlier statements about wanting to see it after at least 500rds and that the casting be done correctly.  the load bearing parts of an AK are very overbuilt and would probably lend themselves well to the casting/ MIM process......however, i wonder about the tail section of the bolt.  I would think that the 7.62 bolt would be OK, but not the smaller diameter of the 5.45/ series 100 bolts.

advntrjnky
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top