Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2010 8:21:16 AM EDT
Hey all,

I have been looking at getting my krink refinished. I have been looking at several different people and finishes, but cannot decide which will fit the bill the best. My krink is build on a nodak spud receiver and has a dura coat finish. The finish has been shipping off. The gun shows very light rust on the charging handle, the folding stock hinge and lock. I want to have the entire gun refinished including the flash hider. I have talked to Gary from overland industries anout parkerizing the gun and then using dura coat. I have also talked to Birdsong black t. I need some advice and info. I am looking for the best finish that will be durable and rust resistant.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I think coal creek armory can do its melonite treatment to rifles.

From what I gather, its like the glock tennifer finish, tough as nails.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:14:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with GunKote sprayed over parkerizing.  

I also like electroless nickel, but that would look out of place on an AK.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#3]
ACE Hardware stove paint  Flat black.

Really....
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ACE Hardware stove paint  Flat black.

Really....

With that said, I use the Duplicolor high temp engine paint, works nicely.

And touch up's are a breeze.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know much about many of the newer, more high tech finishes available, like Melonite, etc.  But of the more common spray applied finishes I'd vote for KG GunKote over park.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:14:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there a company that has a finish that is identical to tennifer? If so, will that application work well on an ak? Lastly, should I have it parkerized underneath?
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is there a company that has a finish that is identical to tennifer? If so, will that application work well on an ak? Lastly, should I have it parkerized underneath?

Coal Creek Armory offers Isonite / Melonite, I don't know if they do rifles or not. Worth calling to find out.

865-966-4545
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:41:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coal Creek Armory offers Isonite / Melonite, I don't know if they do rifles or not. Worth calling to find out.

865-966-4545

I did call them. Their turn around time was pretty high and the man I spoke with was not very informative. Not sure what my next move is.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Moly Resin is as good as it gets.

link
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#11]
another for molyresin. my tromix 12 has it and the romy i am getting ready to send out is going to get the molyresin treatment
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am looking for the best finish that will be durable and rust resistant.

This = Moly Resin over a Sand blasted area with aluminum oxide

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the help. I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo and shoot in all types of weather. I need someting that will coat the entire gun and I can dunk it in water and have NO rust problem as long as it is dried. I was in a class last month were it poured the entire time. I cleaned the gun completely and it was dry. The finish wore off while I was wiping it down with a dry towel. When I got home and removed it from the case after it had been cleaned I then put it in my gun safe. The next day I looked at the gun and it had some rush on the charging handle that I touched before I put it away as well as the other flash hider that I put on a shelf.

Who is the gunsmith for the moly resin job??

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help. I shoot a lot of corrosive ammo and shoot in all types of weather. I need someting that will coat the entire gun and I can dunk it in water and have NO rust problem as long as it is dried. I was in a class last month were it poured the entire time. I cleaned the gun completely and it was dry. The finish wore off while I was wiping it down with a dry towel. When I got home and removed it from the case after it had been cleaned I then put it in my gun safe. The next day I looked at the gun and it had some rush on the charging handle that I touched before I put it away as well as the other flash hider that I put on a shelf.

Who is the gunsmith for the moly resin job??

Thanks

These guys can do it.
Rifle Dynamics
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I like milled receivers with a blued finish on the entire rifle; looks sexy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I used AlumahydeII from brownells to do my AK.  I used the Semigloss Black and my brother did his in Coyote.  Mine got two light coats, and his got three coats.  So far it has held up great.  We baked ours to harden it and degas it faster.

About the only chemical that will remove it is Brake Cleaner.  It has held up against gun cleaner and gun oil without issue.

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Moly Resin is as good as it gets.

link

I agree. I had a bolt actio done few years ago. That gun gets hunted hard and it still looks brand new. Its a very thin finish that's pretty damn tough. It definately doesn't chip like the thicker coatings. I even had the whole bolt done along with all the internals. Basically everything but the chamber and bore itself. It's thin enough that you can put it on mating surfaces without affecting fit. It will not affect headspace for example when applied to bolt lugs. It offers some lubricity as well. Very good product in my opinion and can be applied to bare metal if properly media blasted.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top