Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/1/2010 2:22:35 PM EDT
I decided to do another conversion today.  Second one in the last week.  Took less than 2 hours from start to finish.  After selling off most of my AK collection last year I had plenty of left over parts to complete a number of Saiga rifles on the cheap.  

Still have some work to do such as cutting and modifying handguard retainers so I don't have to press off the FSB and gas block.  These aren't pinned on the 5,45x39 rifles, they use some type of punch press to secure the parts.  I don't need to mount bayonets or brakes on these anyway, I have other rifles that are set up for that use.  These are going to be shooters for the neices and nephews.

Unlike the 7.62x39 Saigas I have, these rifles have all the receiver cutouts done for FCG and pistol grip nut.

Tools used were a drill press, dremel and angle grinder.  Paint used for bottom of receiver Brownells Baking lacquer.

Tapco buttstock, Bulgarian pistol grip, Tapco fire control group, US follower and baseplate

The 7.62x39 rifle was done last week.  The gas tube seems to be bent at the U and it was extra long and required fitting.  Still need to change out the rear sights but I am going to take them out and shoot them first.  I've got one in each caliber that I need to work on yet but I've got time to do it and I am in no hurry.  Probably have $400.00 into each of the rifles once done.

The green one started out pictured here with my .308 Saiga with dragunov type conversion.

I still have this 20" 7.62x39 Saiga but I believe it is one without a trigger cut out or pistol grip cut out though it does have the dimpled receiver.  I don't trust my skills in cutting out a the trigger hole so this one will probably just get the saiga thumbhole stock installed.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I like what you've got going there. I converted 2 5.45 Saigas myself.

I did the KVAR stock, Tapco SAW grip, G2 trigger group and retainer, and Danzig bullet guide.

I stopped short of doing up the front end AK-74 style, but I think about it. Did you use a bolt-on handguard retainer?
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the dinzag bolt on handguard retainer on the 7.62x39.  I found a post on the saiga-12 forum on how to modify a regular handguard retainer and since I have two of those I will be doing that later this week.

Did you ever try to fire the 5.45x39 rifle without the bullet guide installed?  The mags fit with no modification and other on the saiga-12 forum have been saying they work without a bullet guide.

I installed the dinzag bullet guide in two 7.62x39 rifles previously.

I have K-VAR complete stocksets that I will use on another 5.45x39 Saiga but The Tapco stock I had didn't interfere with the nylon hole plugs so I installed it on this one.

I'm planning on getting a  wire feed welder and practicing so I can weld up the receiver holes.

I have a couple of sets of black handguards but I kind of like the saiga handguard.
Link Posted: 3/1/2010 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Was thinking of doing this myself. I've already got a fully converted 7.62 saiga for the traditionalists out there, but I've been hankering for a project, and a 5.45 saiga may just be it.

Link Posted: 3/2/2010 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got back from test firing this rifle and it functioned fine with Bulgarian Circle 10 AK-74 mags with no modifications or bullet guide installed.  These rifles are imported so that they work fine with hicap mags as is as far as I can see..

Snow was deep enough to bust my ass getting out into the woods far enough to not bother the neighbors too much.  Only shot at 50 yards at a dead poplar tree.  I don't think I will be taking cover behind 10 inch poplar tree as the Russian surplus passed straight through.

Link Posted: 3/2/2010 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:56:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Where did you get this one?  I see Centerfire has the 5.45 with the dimples, but I can't tell what other vendors are selling them as well (at least from the pics and descriptions).
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:38:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Where did you get this one?  I see Centerfire has the 5.45 with the dimples, but I can't tell what other vendors are selling them as well (at least from the pics and descriptions).

CenterfireSystems was back ordered when I was ready to get mine.  

I got the two 5.45x39 rifles from WWW.ClassicArms.us.

Atlantic firearms had them, also.  They offer an AR15.com discount which I believe is free shipping.

From what has been reported, all the 5.45x39 rifles have dimples, pistol grip nut hole pre cut and most have the relief cut in the side of the barrel for the lower hand guard retainer.

The 7.62x39 rifle I converted two weeks ago did not have the pistol grip nut hole cut out.  Neither does the 20" dimpled receiver 7.62x39 rifle in the final picture.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Finished up the final Saiga 5.45x39 conversion tonight.  Installed a double hook Tapco G2 and installed a K-VAR stockset I had taken off a Bulgarian rifle that I had switched to a plum stockset.

Modified a lower handguard retainer so I could install the handguards without removing the FSB or gas block which are dimpled with a punch weld instead of pinned.  Burned out my old dremel before I was finished.  Forgot to repaint one of the ribbed dust covers so I still have that to do on one of the rifles.  Picked up one Tapco 5.45x39 and one Tapco 7.62x39 magazine to test them out, though I didn't need them for compliance purposes.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Finished up the final Saiga 5.45x39 conversion tonight.  Installed a double hook Tapco G2 and installed a K-VAR stockset I had taken off a Bulgarian rifle that I had switched to a plum stockset.

Modified a lower handguard retainer so I could install the handguards without removing the FSB or gas block which are dimpled with a punch weld instead of pinned.  Burned out my old dremel before I was finished.  Forgot to repaint one of the ribbed dust covers so I still have that to do on one of the rifles.  Picked up one Tapco 5.45x39 and one Tapco 7.62x39 magazine to test them out, though I didn't need them for compliance purposes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Wildweasel02/100_1476.jpg?t=1268266809
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/Wildweasel02/100_1477.jpg?t=1268267082

Nice!

Let us know how the tapco 5.45 mag works out, a full review would be welcomed by the community.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]
How had your luck been with the dinzag handguard retainer? I have heard stories of the rattling off. Would this not happen if the barrel had the cutouts? Which I have heard almost all 5.45 rifles have. -Ben
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How had your luck been with the dinzag handguard retainer? I have heard stories of the rattling off. Would this not happen if the barrel had the cutouts? Which I have heard almost all 5.45 rifles have. -Ben

Dinzag retainer has a set screw to hold in place and won't come off if it is correctly installed with red loctite.  It is used on the 7.62x39 rifle.

For the 5.45x39 rifles, both have barrel cut outs on the sides.  I modified a regular handguard retainer which now bolts on.  I had to file the handguard retainer notch into the top part of the barrel.  Used a small chainsaw round file, took about one minute.  Holds tight and was a whole lot cheaper than the dinzag retainer.  $15.00

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:07:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool, thanks! -Ben
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dinzag retainer has a set screw to hold in place and won't come off if it is correctly installed with red loctite. It is used on the 7.62x39 rifle.

For the 5.45x39 rifles, both have barrel cut outs on the sides. I modified a regular handguard retainer which now bolts on. I had to file the handguard retainer notch into the top part of the barrel. Used a small chainsaw round file, took about one minute. Holds tight and was a whole lot cheaper than the dinzag retainer. $15.00

Can you show us pictures of your modified retainer?
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can you show us pictures of your modified retainer?

Used a dremel cut off wheel to cut the center out of the top of the retainer.  The used an angle grinder to thin it down to fit over the barrel.  The retainer lever holes are used to insert a bolt through to secure it.  Instead of the nut I had available, a flat speed nut fastener would work and be less noticable, I will just have to find some locally.  Notched the top of the barrel with a small round file just as it would be done for the retainer lever. Painted with Brownell's Matte Black baking lacquer.  Tightened and applied red Locktite.  I don't think it is going anywhere.

The dinzag bolt on retainer costs $91.90 shipped,  don't remember what type of retainer I used but Apex gun parts has E. German retainers for $15.00.

Receiver notched for Tapco G2 double hook FCG. Should have done this before painting receiver.

Used a Tapco retainer after having RSA retainers that wouldn't fit some rifles.  Tapco retainer seems to be stronger material and installed easily.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure which I like better the green -74 or the Druganovized .308.    Nice work!

.308 had a pistol grip configuration at one time.  Bruised my cheek after 50 rounds of Pakistani surplus.  Decided the Choate stock I got with a SAR-1 I bought that included the wood stock, 5-6 mags and 1,200 rounds of ammo for around $450.00.  Sold the SAR-1 for and two mags for $425.00 and kept everything else.  The stock was just what the .308 needed to tame the recoil.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Shoots fine.  But I can't get out to shoot with the snow blocking the roads to the sand pits I shoot in.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Very, very nice job.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top