BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/20/2009 11:28:23 AM EDT
Who's running a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot sight on their AK?  What kind of mount?  If it's on an Ultimak how is it handling the heat? How do you like the optic?  Is it bright enough against a well lit light colored target?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two, one on my M70AB2 using Samson's RSR1 mount and the other on a Romy G with an Ultimak tube.

I like them, very good MRD for the money.  I've had zero issues with either of them, and the dot is plenty bright for any conditions I have used them in.

The TRS I have on the Ultimak offers a nice lower 1/3 co-witness and has handled the heat just fine.

Link Posted: 11/20/2009 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  Looks like a good value.

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm running one on my converted 5.45 Saiga.

It's on a KVAR KV-04S mount. It's good for the price. It's no Aimpoint micro T-1 (which I do own and have mounted on my AR), but it is bright enough for sunny days, it stays zeroed, it has coated lenses, and decent battery life. I have noticed though that the brightness of the dot drops off in some porions of the field of view, apparently relative to the angle and distance that the red light is reflected from the source to the lens, sorry if that doesn't make sense. You can see inside the sight where the little light projector is and the part of the lens farthest from the source seems to be a little dimmer. I just adjust up the power so that I have a bright enough image in the dim areas, but I get a little "blooming" then in the other portion of the field of view.

Link Posted: 11/21/2009 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Heard good things about the Konus Atomic red dot also.
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#5]
It is a decent sight. Dot intensity does vary in the visual field. Bushnell has excellent customer service. I over torqued my mounting screw and Bushnell replaced it for free.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one that I am going to mount on an AK.

I am waiting for the smith to do some work for a mount idea that I have so I can mount it.

I turned it on the day that I got it.  I got it exactly 60 days ago today.

I put it on setting 5 (of 11) which is bright enough to see against any background during the day and a white wall illuminated with TLR1 at night.  At setting 11, it is very bright.

Anyway, at setting 5, it has run 24/7 for 60 days....1449 continuous hours as I type this.  The battery still appears to be going strong and I have not noticed any dimming.

After I bleed this battery dry, I am going to replace the battery and run it on setting 11 for 24/7 to see how many hours it will last.

After that, I will see how many days it will go by only having it on when I use it.

I chose this MRD because I have way too many rifles to mount T1's on.  I could either buy a couple of aimpoints/eotechs for just 2 or 3 rifles, or add rds to all of my rifles by using something less expensive.

So far, the Bushnell hasn't dissapointed.  My first requirement was that it would hold zero.  Number two was good battery life.  I wanted at least 1000 hrs of continuous use.  The Bushnell has far exceeded this expectation.  Third is durability.  I have thought about beating the crap out of this one to see how much it could take.  I haven't yet because I did pay $130 for it.  I want to know but I haven't decided to beat on it yet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I am waiting for the smith to do some work for a mount idea that I have so I can mount it.

I put it on setting 5 (of 11) which is bright enough to see against any background during the day and a white wall illuminated with TLR1 at night.  At setting 11, it is very bright.

Anyway, at setting 5, it has run 24/7 for 60 days....1449 continuous hours as I type this.  The battery still appears to be going strong and I have not noticed any dimming.

After I bleed this battery dry, I am going to replace the battery and run it on setting 11 for 24/7 to see how many hours it will last.

After that, I will see how many days it will go by only having it on when I use it.

I chose this MRD because I have way too many rifles to mount T1's on.  I could either buy a couple of aimpoints/eotechs for just 2 or 3 rifles, or add rds to all of my rifles by using something less expensive.

So far, the Bushnell hasn't dissapointed.  My first requirement was that it would hold zero.  Number two was good battery life.  I wanted at least 1000 hrs of continuous use.  The Bushnell has far exceeded this expectation.  Third is durability.  I have thought about beating the crap out of this one to see how much it could take.  I haven't yet because I did pay $130 for it.  I want to know but I haven't decided to beat on it yet.

Thanks for the battery test.  Let us know when it finally dies.  I'm still on the original battery on my two TRSs, but I have not tested them like you are.

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Very interesting, thanks for posting this.  So far, this is looking like a good option for those of us who need a RDS for the range, training, hunting, etc.  If I was taking my rifle to Iraq then I'd drop the money on an Aimpoint for those of us with less rigorous requirements, the Bushnell sure seems to be a good option.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 2:22:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Now at 1781 hours (setting 5) and still going strong.

Still maintaining zero and easily visible during the day.

I will keep updating this thread.
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the emitter on the TRS-25 still located on the side so the RDS can co-witness with the irons on an Ultimak tube rail?
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Is the emitter on the TRS-25 located on the side so the RDS can co-witness with the irons on an Ultimak tube rail?

Yes, the emitter is on the side.  You get a lower 1/3 co-witness on an Ultimak.

Link Posted: 12/7/2009 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered one for my akm,I'm waiting for Benny from milsurpstuff.com to get some more gas tube mounts in,then when I get that I will put the two on my gun and let you all know how it works.I wanted a aimpoint ot eotech but they are way out of my price range. sj
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Found an Ebay vendor that is selling them for $125 shipped, anybody know of someone that is beatting that price?
Link Posted: 12/7/2009 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00200E0HM/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

95 cents more, but I trust Amazon far more than any ebayer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Optics planet has them for $124.95 shipped and they are good people both in goods and service and really fast shippers.Thats where I got mine. sj
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 5:36:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, they are the EBay seller I found. Asking around, it appears they are one of the few that allow for co witness with the new Dogleg rail...
Link Posted: 12/8/2009 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Actually, if you call Opticsplanet and act like you don't have any money they might give you 5% off...or if you've bought something from them previously they give you a code on your invoice for the same. They're great people to deal with, I've had 6 transactions with them and all have been spot-on. They're very conscious of the customer satisfaction ratings.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Just passed the 2000 hour mark (contiuous on at setting 5).

No noticeable dimming and still visible in daylight

I'll keep updating this thread.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#22]
That is incredible battery life for the price. Thanks for the experiment
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I still havent beaten the crap out of it yet.  I have been tempted, but haven't.

I thought about tossing it around on rocks or whatever......saw the aimpoint guy doing that, then remounted it and it maintained zero.  Am not brave enough it drop my rifle on it.  I still am reluctant since it does cost over $100.

I did read a review recently where a guy said that he zeroed his TRS-25 on a semi-auto 12ga.  He put 400 rounds thru it and it maintained zero.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#25]
This is looking like a good option IF it can hold the heat when mounted on an ultimak....

I just ponied up 530$ for a Larue mount and ML3 aimpoint for my AR...I don't think I can swing that again anytime soon.

Long as it will co-witness I am willing you try it. That way if it does take a crap on me I can transition to irons. Very very tempting....
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I have looked at two different TRS-25s recently and both had front glass that was tilted at an angle opposite the emitter side.  Is this the way the TRS-25 is designed? Or did I see two defective units?
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Double tap
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 7:56:55 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I have looked at two different TRS-25s recently and both had front glass that was tilted at an angle opposite the emitter side.  Is this the way the TRS-25 is designed? Or did I see two defective units?

Designed that way.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2009 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks LiquidMetal. I just looked at a third TRS-25 At Gander Mountain and it also has the front lens tilt, so as you say it must be by design.  I just noticed it cleaning the lens and compared to my T-1, which does not have the tilt.  

This is a great board and great bunch of guys. Merry Christmas to all!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#30]
The front lens is tilted on both of my TRS-25s as well.

I recall someone saying there was a specific reason why this is, but don't recall the details.  I believe I read it on another forum.
Link Posted: 12/25/2009 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm hoping these hold up to the heat, I may pick one up soon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2009 6:32:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks LiquidMetal. I just looked at a third TRS-25 At Gander Mountain and it also has the front lens tilt, so as you say it must be by design.  I just noticed it cleaning the lens and compared to my T-1, which does not have the tilt.  

This is a great board and great bunch of guys. Merry Christmas to all!!

The TRS-25 is designed that way.  If I remember correctly, the T-1 also has the tilted lens as well as an additional lens.  Also, the aluminum extends further past the lens on the T-1....masking the tilted lens.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I was able to sight my scope in this weekend and it went fine. It was one of the easier sighting in sessions that I have had. Other than it was snowing, it worked fine. The scope made the AK-74 I mounted it on much less heavy. Now what to do with the Eotech 511?
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Has anyone dumped say 5 30 round magazines with one of these on a ultimak? If so how did it go?
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, I must admit I am VERY impressed. I am a member of Sigforum and we had a Sigforum Memorial Shoot this past weekend at Ocala, Florida, To honor one of our fallen members. I bought a new Bushnell TRS-25 from OPTICSPLANET.com for $125.99. I mounted it on my Ultimak equipped Polytech AKS 762/39. I did add a drop of blue lock-tite the night before. I ( and many other members) put about 850 rounds through her with no problems. I tried to not let the sight get TOO hot but there were several times where it could not be avoided. Even though the sight was almost too hot to touch. However it perfomed above my expectations. It held zero perfectly. The 3 moa dot made hitting clay targets at 100 yards fun and easy. And every shooter who tried it was very impressed with the quality of the sight picture ( Perfect lower 1/3 co-witness ) and the ease of the dot adjustment knob.
     At one point we were shooting from dark covered shady posistions into white targets in bright Florida sunshine and there was still plenty of illumination of the dot ( setting 10 of 11 ) to clearly see the bright red dot. I am thinking of ordering another before the word gets out on these fantastic little red dots. It is what I have been looking for for a long time. ( in this price range)...
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Well, I must admit I am VERY impressed. I am a member of Sigforum and we had a Sigforum Memorial Shoot this past weekend at Ocala, Florida, To honor one of our fallen members. I bought a new Bushnell TRS-25 from OPTICSPLANET.com for $125.99. I mounted it on my Ultimak equipped Polytech AKS 762/39. I did add a drop of blue lock-tite the night before. I ( and many other members) put about 850 rounds through her with no problems. I tried to not let the sight get TOO hot but there were several times where it could not be avoided. Even though the sight was almost too hot to touch it perfomed above my expectations. It held zero perfectly. The 3 moa dot made hitting clay targets at 100 yards fun and easy. And every shooter who tried it was very impressed with the quality of the sight picture ( Perfect lower 1/3 co-witness ) and the ease of the dot adjustment knob.

At one point we were shooting from dark covered shady posistions into whie targets in bright Florida sunshine and there was still plenty of illumination of the dot ( seting 10 of 11 ) to clearly see the bright re dot. I am thinking of ordering another before the word gets out on these fantastic little red dots. It is what I have been looking for for a long time. ( in this price range)...

I agree, the TRS-25 is a very good value in budget MRDs.  I liked my first one enough to buy a second.  I talked my BIL into buying one and he really likes it as well.

The lower 1/3 co-witness with an Ultimak is definitely one of the things I enjoy most about it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#37]
I might have to pick one up too.  I just got lucky and got a like new ML2 with a mount for $250.  I was going to throw that on the Mak, but have decided to put it on my wife's HD gun.  For $125 it is hard to justify not buying a red dot for my AK, maybe it will get out of the safe more if I do...
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#38]
To SickMac90:  No I ever did 5 quick mag dumps but I would say there was the equivelent of about 3 quick mag dumps seveal times during the 850 rounds.   As I stated the TRS-25 was really almost too hot to touch and worked fine. I then touched my Ultimak and just about burned my finger! Also, I have left mine on constantly ( brought an extra 2032 just in case ). It has been on for 7 day now and still bright. As I said I am VERY impeessed!
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
To SickMac90:  No I ever did 5 quick mag dumps but I would say there was the equivelent of about 3 quick mag dumps seveal times during the 850 rounds.   As I stated the TRS-25 was really almost too hot to touch and worked fine. I then touched my Ultimak and just about burned my finger! Also, I have left mine on constantly ( brought an extra 2032 just in case ). It has been on for 7 day now and still bright. As I said I am VERY impeessed!

Isn't the battery life supposed to be 3000 hours?  Roughly 3-4 months if my high school education didn't fail me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the update on it. If I can quit buying guns and ammo maybe I can squeeze this purchase in. I think it will really help my AK74's accuracy...I just don't shoot well with AK irons.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't the battery life supposed to be 3000 hours?  Roughly 3-4 months if my high school education didn't fail me.

To COLTSFAN: Yes, I do understand that the battery life will last several months. What I was trying to say ( poorly I must admit ) was that the sight stood up to some semi-serious abuse and was still working fine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To COLTSFAN: Yes, I do understand that the battery life will last several months. What I was trying to say ( poorly I must admit ) was that the sight stood up to some semi-serious abuse and was still working fine.

I hear ya.  I think I am going to suck it up and buy one.  Seems like a good little sight, and while I wouldn't carry it into combat, I'm sure it would do just fine if I had to use it for HD.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Thank you to you all who posted first hand feedback.  It looks like I'll pick up one of the Bushnells soon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an update.

Obviously, I couldn't check the RDS every minute of everyday but I do check it daily.

At setting 5 (of 11), the TRS-25 lasted just a few hours over 2300 hours.

I am in the middle of testing it now at setting 11 (of 11).  I have left it on this setting without turning it off.  It is now at 242 hours.  However, it is VERY, VERY DIM and I expect it to give out anytime.

My next test will probably be to turn it on only when I use it and not leave it on full time.

So far, it has retained zero and there have been no problems.  I am well pleased with its performance at setting 5.  I wish that it performed better at setting 11, but I honestly only expected about 200 hours at the max setting.

I am seriously thinking of investing in a few more of these.  I nearly purchased an Aimpoint this past weekend...I didn't and I may stay with the TRS-25.
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#45]
2300 hours is very good for a optic in that price range. I am impressed, I will probably get one for my 74 soon. Just can't justify another 500$ optics purchase for my blaster rifle. For any real use my BCM AR with the ML3 would go. My 74 is my cheap blaster.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Shot my Polyteck AKS again with Ultimak and TRS-25 mounted. Did a couple of rapid 4 mag dumps ( 120 rounds ),. All is well. Was going to do a couple of 5 mag dumps but "chickened out" as Ultimak and Bushnell were really smoking HOT!  I m still VERY impresed. Dot is bright and clear still, after tis abuse and leaving on for 3 weeks now. Dot is clear and round, not fuzzy. Mount is tight and holding zero fine. Gun fell once off of rifle rest at range, sling got snagged while getting up.  AKS fell about 3 feet onto wooden bench directly onto Bushnell. All is still fine. Suffered a  Slight " smudge " of paint and wood that wiped off sight no problem....

This little Bushnell TRS-25 is turning into one of THE BEST set-ups to use with an Ultimak with an AK. And for this price range may also be one of the best red-dot sights currenyly available. I am going to buy another soon.  This is one of those " Almost too good o be true " deals that will be discontinued, cancelled, dropped or will triple in price soon with some minor "upgrade" when Bushnell wakes up and realizes they made an Aimpoint H-1 at 1/5 the price...
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the info, looks like I will be ordering one asap.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#48]
If you do the research on avalibility vs. lowest price ( ALLWAYS add in shipping, handling.insurance when comparing. THATS how they get ya! ) Please let me know what you find out. I see oneor two more in my future.
Link Posted: 1/24/2010 8:24:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Ordered mine from Amazon.com, $125.95 shipped, "...only 4 left in stock":

Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 1x Red Dot Sight

This one is going on an M1 Carbine with Ultimak rail.
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I have another update.

At setting 11 (of 11), I finally changed the battery.

It was actually still on but very, very dim...too dim to be able to see outside.

The hour total was 480 hrs continuous on.  I think it would have made it to 500hrs and beyond....but like I said it was very dim.

I replaced it with a battery that I was using in something else so I won't be able to do the final test of only turning it on while in use for a while.  The battery I installed today still has plenty of juice because I checked it on setting 11 and it is extremely bright.

Anyway, at setting 5, 2300 hrs +.  At setting 11, approximately 500 hours.

Not bad performance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top