Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/1/2007 6:20:06 PM EDT
Topic says it, Where can I  buy 7.62x39/40 round bulgarian polymer mags from? Im not really wanting to pay $40 a mag and thats all I see them for.
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to go the EE board and check out a member named "THEFAZ" he has them for under $20 and they r new.  I've bought quite a few things from him and he ships real fast...

www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=453408

44MAG
Link Posted: 8/1/2007 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on how many you buy, more=cheaper, J&G Sales also has them (waffle style).  Centerfire Systems has the "Bullet" side ones for $11.

ETA:
Ooops.. u said 40rd, my bad.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Cals Sporting Armory had them about the cheapest, but I see they are currently out of stock.  Stuff purchased there and at K-VAR, have very steep shipping though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I need your tips guys.

Does anyone know where to buy these 40 round bulgarian waffle magazines at for a decent price? Actually, I dont even know what a decent price would be. Can you guys tell me what a good deal would be on these so that I dont pass it up if I run across one?

Id really appreciate the help here
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:26:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I need your tips guys.

Does anyone know where to buy these 40 round bulgarian waffle magazines at for a decent price? Actually, I dont even know what a decent price would be. Can you guys tell me what a good deal would be on these so that I dont pass it up if I run across one?

Id really appreciate the help here

The going rate is $30 to $45.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:54:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you!!

two more questions:::::

Ive noticed that Plum and Green are more expensive then plain black. Why is that? I would think black would be more expensive. Are there any true benifits to having plum or green over black or is it just a color preference?

Also, would 40 round mags be of lesser /qualitydurability comparred to the 30 rounders? In your opinion, out of the two 30 and 40 rounders which one is more sought after?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Im sorta pending my purhase until these last questions above get answered. Can you guys help me out here.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#9]
bump out of interest still
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thank you!!

two more questions:::::

Ive noticed that Plum and Green are more expensive then plain black. Why is that? I would think black would be more expensive. Are there any true benifits to having plum or green over black or is it just a color preference?

Also, would 40 round mags be of lesser /qualitydurability comparred to the 30 rounders? In your opinion, out of the two 30 and 40 rounders which one is more sought after?

Green and plum are newer colors that are being made on the same Bulgarian molds that the black waffle mags are being made on, but the black waffle mags are the original, and are more plentiful.  They've been making the black waffle mags for at least 15 years.  There was a stint where about 6 or seven different colors were made and they were claimed to be "pre-ban", but whether they actually were or not is still up for debate (although it doesn't really matter now that the ban is over).  The new green and plum mags that K-Var is currently selling are post ban (after 2004) mags, and have only been made in the last couple years.  I really doubt that it costs that much more to run a batch of green mags versus a batch of black mags.  My bet is that charging a couple bucks more for a colored mag is just another one of K-Var's many ways of boosting their profit margins.  The green and plum waffle mags are every bit as durable and functional as the black waffle mags.

The 40-round Bulgarian waffle mags are exactly like the 30 rounders, and are every bit as durable and reliable.  The just hold 40 rounds instead of 30.

In my opinion, the Bulgarian waffle mags are a very big plus to AK owners, as they are primo mags, even if they are somewhat expensive.  I was able to pick up several when they were $11 each.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks man. I dont think its only K-Var that has the difference in price between plum/green vs. Black, I was refering to www.dsarms.com they also have a pretty big price jump from the black. It still  just baffles me as to why they are so much more.

Are the waffles that dsarms sells the same exact waffles k-var sells?
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yes, they are all Bulgarian Factory 10 mags. You'll see the number 10 in a double cirlce on the side of them. The only other AK "waffle" mags out there are the cheaper quality ProMags. They, of course, won't have the Factory 10 marking, and won't have the steel locking lug on the top, as their's is plastic.

Here's an AK-47 mag ID chart for future reference. It has "most" mags on it. The print is kinda small, so you may have to save it to your PC and enlarge it. You'll see various colors for the Bulgy 7.62 waffle mags on it, but as I'm sure you've figured out by now, the only current colors are black, plum, and OD. Kinda sux, cuz some of the other colors look pretty sweet too.

Mag ID Chart

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks man. I dont think its only K-Var that has the difference in price between plum/green vs. Black, I was refering to www.dsarms.com they also have a pretty big price jump from the black. It still  just baffles me as to why they are so much more.

Yes, they are the same that K-Var carries.  I believe that K-Var is the actual importer of the new Bulgarian waffle mags, and resells the mags to DSA and a couple other venders at a dealer price.  I imagine that K-Var still charges the dealers more for the colored mags versus the black mags, so the vendors markup prices accordingly.  Like I said, K-Var will think of any reason to charge as much as they can until they get competition.  I remember when K-Var charged $84 for each 30 round black waffle mag (early 1990's).  Once they got competition, they eventually dropped their prices to $11 each in 2001.  That tells you how much of a profit margin they were making at $84 each.  Once their competitor went to prison, they jacked their prices back up, and they are now double what they were selling for a few years ago.

By the way, I was checking some of my mags a little while ago, and realized that the only mag that doesn't fit in one of my AKs is a green waffle mag.  It feels thicker, and won't even lock into the trunion.  Just FYI.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Im learning more every minute I spend here.. Tactical T, didnt you say you had the OD green, how does that fit in your SAM7? Political, what model AK are you using? Im wondering if its the magazine or the rifle thats off on spec.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I have 6 OD green 30-rounders, and they fit my Arsenal rifles fine. I also have black 30-rounders and 40-rounders. Only one of the 40-rounders required a few minutes of filing at the top of the mag where it inserts into the mag well. I believe that one corner needed the filing. This happens with about 5-10% of the waffle mags, as we're talking about injection-molded polymer, rather than steel. If it happens with some you order, just insert it as far as you can and look to see which corner(s), need a tad bit of filing down.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:37:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Im learning more every minute I spend here.. Tactical T, didnt you say you had the OD green, how does that fit in your SAM7? Political, what model AK are you using? Im wondering if its the magazine or the rifle thats off on spec.

The green waffle won't fit in a home built AK.  But it will fit in others.  I'm not too worried about it because, unlike steel mags, the waffle mags can be filed and shaped slightly to fit.  Every waffle mag I've ever used has fit tight until it's been inserted and removed a few times.  This repeat inserting smooths off the extra polymer on the mag, which seems to be what is needed.  In the case of the green mag, it probably needs to be filed on a corner or two to get it started.  If it were a metal mag that wasn't fitting, I'd be concerned.  But I've learned that the waffles usually come with thicker polymer than necessary, and that's fine because they can be shaved, filed, or eventually rubbed smooth to fit right.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top