Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2012 9:52:28 PM EDT
Would I be an idiot to buy one of these?

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/AK47-80-Blank-Receiver-16p362.htm

I know it would be a PITA to finish and heat treat and that I can get a complete NDS for just a little more but I like a challenge.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Would I be an idiot to buy one of these?

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/AK47-80-Blank-Receiver-16p362.htm

I know it would be a PITA to finish and heat treat and that I can get a complete NDS for just a little more but I like a challenge.  Thoughts?

You wouldn't necessarily be an idiot for buying one of those receiver blanks, but buying an NDS receiver is way better...  The NDS receivers are fully heat treated and have been in my experience a "turn-key" solution to any AK build I choose to do.

I have been using NDS receivers for a very long time and have *yet* to have one fail on me so far.  None of the NDS receivers I've ever used have required any tweaking to adjust anything, I've been able to just drop the trunnions in, do the rivet work, install the barrel and other stuff and go with it .

Here's some examples of NDS's fine receivers in use ::

**Well, admittedly the Krinkov in the pic (above) was not built on an NDS receiver, but the other 3 AK's are . **

NDS makes one heck of a NICE receiver... There are other receivers out there on the market, but for the money, NDS is the best
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Bent blanks are a lot more work that's for sure.
But why pay so much for one that is going to give you so much headache.
Coldsteel solutions has them for only $37 & it will give you the same challenge.
http://www.coldsteelsolutionsincorporated.com/csi,_inc_003.htm

Nice looking guns Grizz.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#3]
there are advantages to the bent shells but for me they dont out weigh the extra work
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What are the advantages in your opinion?  I think the real reasons I would get one are the self satisfaction of doing it and a bit of paranoia in me that causes me to prefer off the books firearms.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's a good alternative for someone who does not have a press or does not have the setup to bend flats.  The receiver blank takes less tools to finish vs a flat.  So for someone that wants to make their own receiver vs. buying a redimade, this could be a good option.  All you need is a drill press and spot welder vs drill press, spot welder and a way to bend flats (most of the time involving a press too).  Yea it may take a bit more time......

There is also people who want it as correct as possible and like the extras the blanks may have.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I did a bunch of builds on pre-made receivers. But I decided I wanted a little more so I just started doing flats and pre-bent shells. It's just fun, I don't worry about doing paper work buying receivers but it is a hassel. Although now I have to pay someone to do my heat treating for me so I guess it's a wash.

If your not doing it for the hobby of BIY, then going the pre-made receiver route is the way to go. I recommend NoDak.
Link Posted: 6/15/2012 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
How much does it cost you to have them heat treated?  If you don't mind me asking
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#8]
For the frist time builder I would recommend this first is a Nodack receiver would be the easiest second the Pre bent Polish receiver and Curtis,s jig and third is Ak-Builder Flat and his bending Jig.....  on the last two you will have to learn a little more than using the NDS bit I like building from scratch.... Opps that is a Lie since I don't cut my own receivers....Heat treating just the wear areas is easy but if you want to heat treat the whole receiver most business in my area charge about 30 bucks for each receiver... If you really add up the costs the NDS is the best for the buck less tools and less problems...
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How much does it cost you to have them heat treated?  If you don't mind me asking

About $80 but its the same if you do 1 or 10 so obviously doing more is better.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have built on pre bent and papered receivers and sold some.. If you want to build more than three I'd advise getting the tools and learning to bend your own but for one or two NDS is the way to go...
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Lots of little "OPPS" took 8months to build. But it shoots great.Wish I would have bought more kits $99  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xasCSfagjRQ
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#12]
When kits were $100.00 or less people were bending flats and building like no tomorrow.  Didn't like the outcome, rip it apart and do it again. - no one cared.  Guys just like doing shit like that.  The price of kits with original barrels today and barreless kits has changed the game.  Now you have so much more invested in a single rifle you might as well get a Nodak receiver.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When kits were $100.00 or less people were bending flats and building like no tomorrow.  Didn't like the outcome, rip it apart and do it again. - no one cared.  Guys just like doing shit like that.  The price of kits with original barrels today and barreless kits has changed the game.  Now you have so much more invested in a single rifle you might as well get a Nodak receiver.

If you think there is any chance you may build more than 3 AKs buy the bending jig & bend your own.
But if you just want to have an AK & you are good at building things with your hands,get a Nodak receiver.
If you want an AK because you buddy has one & you are the type that doesn't know which end of the hammer to use just buy one it will be much easier on all of us.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top