Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/1/2011 2:57:53 PM EDT

Looking for the Speed Load Chute, as seen in the below image.  I'd like to get one added to my rifle.

All I can find is an airsoft knock-off and the KCI website doesn't list it in the custom parts section.

Thanks much.

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Sooooo, I guess that's a no??

Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 11:39:17 AM EDT
[#2]
call them and ask brian
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Not really a full mag well, more like an index plate. I thought it was a full well until I saw good footage of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5_Ry9RCyw8    Been thinking of making one
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not really a full mag well, more like an index plate. I thought it was a full well until I saw good footage of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5_Ry9RCyw8    Been thinking of making one

Hard to be sure from one photo, but it looks like any competent sheet metal worker could build one.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to be sure from one photo, but it looks like any competent sheet metal worker could build one.

Yeah, you're both right –– it's more of a plate, than a "well".  That was their term for it.  Anyways, I emailed and asked and they don't provide it separately and they haven't worked on customers' guns in something like 7 years.  So, I'm going to have to make one or use some kind of substitute if I really, really want it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
good footage of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5_Ry9RCyw8

Made the link hot for ya
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#7]
i wanted this years ago but got the same answer you did from krebs.if you end up making one be sure to post a review/DIY for the rest of us

the video posted above is the exact video that made me want a krebs custom.i loved the indexing plate,extended mag release,and ambi selector.but i was pretty dissapointed to find out after contacting krebs that the rifle in the video was a custom build for a writer and they dont offer AK's with all of the features that one had,nor do they do custom gun smithing anymore..
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have any good pictures of a speed chute up close and how it attaches ?

LB
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone have any good pictures of a speed chute up close and how it attaches ?

LB

This is a picture of the airsoft knock-off I mentioned:

I'm sure something similar would work for a real rifle.  I'm I'm not sure about the material used to make this part, maybe it would work on a real weapon.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm interested in that mag release. How does it knock the mag out like that? Anyone know if that's available somewhere?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love to see alot of pictures of the flange as well as the mag ejection system.

Kreb's Custom has told me that WILL NOT sell a flange by itself...    I really don't understand that.  Make some that do not have any
KREB logos on them and sell them to ppl who would like to install them on their own.  It would be easy money in his pocket.  Oh well...

If i can get enough pics and descriptions I plan on making a few of them for myself and if there is any interest I could make more for others.

Lets see some pics from you KTR owners !!!!!

LB
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#12]
My buddy has a Krebs index plate on his Krebs rifle.  It's slick as snot but I'm not paying Krebs prices buy a Krebs rifle that has that side plate index thingy.

The welding on it is top notch and looks seamless and perfect.  Micro welded by an outside weld shop.  On his he requested that it did not have the mag release device so that he can use the slap empty mag out with new mag technique.  Makes a mediocre AK reloader look really fast.  Just place on side of plate and rotate mag in.

If you were good welder I don't see why you could fabricate one and skip the mag release option.  The side plate flange thingy is relatively thick.  My guess is about twice the thickness of receiver, 2mm or there abouts.  I thought of making a copy but I'd burn holes through the receiver and I really don't want to do that.

You will have to refinish your AK but could do it on the cheap I think it would be worth while.  

Probally reason why Krebs won't sell it is cause he doesn't want his logo on a gun that had a crap welding job.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My buddy has a Krebs index plate on his Krebs rifle.

Thanks for the informative post!  Nice to know the thickness of the chute.

Can you get some detailed pics of your buddy's rifle for us ?

LB

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I came up with this over the winter. It installs in seconds without tools and does not require any receiver modification. It allows quick and easy modified AK magazine insertion and removal. It is removed as easily as an AK magazine and, once removed; standard AK magazines can be used again. Patent pending as of Tuesday.[URL=http://www.mag-well.com/]
Link Posted: 4/3/2011 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, but I am not looking to modify my AK74 mags.   Done the whole mag mod for Saiga shotguns and was not satisfied.

I know it is hard to come up with any real magwell mod without having some mods to the mags, kinda comes with the territory.
Just not looking to go that direction.

More interested in the mag flange to help index factory mags.

LB

Anybody know anyone with a Krebs rifle we can get pictures of ????
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 1:19:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Is there a reason you couldn't add the other side to it and have an actual mag well?
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is there a reason you couldn't add the other side to it and have an actual mag well?

The speed load chute is all you really need to index a mag quickly and rock it into place.  Why add weight ?

LB

PS    Anyone know anybody with a Krebs rifle that can send us some pics ??   Please IM me !!!  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top