BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/23/2009 11:58:15 AM EDT
I am really considering getting a boresnake for my rifle...because when i clean it with my stock cleaning rod that came with my colt....I feel like im tearing the hell out of my barrel. Just wondering how many others here use a snake....and if so....does it work well?
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
yes and yes
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow,  it's the Monday BS thread. In for the shitstorm...for the 500th time....an OP don't take this as a flame...BTW buy a Dewey rod and the correct jags and enjoy a clean rifle...
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Boresnakes have their place, but they're not a replacement for the time proven rod and patch.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I use my boresnake when I'm at the range before leaving.  Two passes through.  Get home and when I get a chance later that day or the next, I do a full cleaning.  Suits me just fine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Boresnakes have their place, but they're not a replacement for the time proven rod and patch.

In a chrome lined barrel they are.

Also, Gunslick foaming bore cleaner is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Fill bore, wait 30 minutes and shoot a wad through the bore with the Lanigan SACS thing my dad bought and the bore is finished. It even gets all the powder out from the grooves that conventional patching won't remove.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I use my boresnake when I'm at the range before leaving.  Two passes through.  Get home and when I get a chance later that day or the next, I do a full cleaning.  Suits me just fine.

What are you shooting?

Even using shitty, filthy Wolf in my chrome lined ARs I just spray some CLP down the bore, and run a snake through it once. Done, fucker is spotless.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I use one, and it does fine. Have a rod too, but never use it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
American Eagle.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Boresnakes are fantastic. The object of cleaning is to get powder fouling out of your barrel. The copper fouling is fine, and will only build to a certain point. It's a waste of time to scrub everything out of your bore.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
boresnake + foam after range trip, dewy rod + jag once a month.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Opinions are like...... well you know.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In all seriousness, I shoot CLP through the bore and run the snake once and the bore is spotless. Why would you need to patch it with a rod after that?
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In all seriousness, I shoot CLP through the bore and run the snake once and the bore is spotless. Why would you need to patch it with a rod after that?

Because some of us look at the paper after we wipe.

I use a boresnake for a quick and dirty. I use a proper rod when I want a proper clean.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a boresnake for a quick and dirty. I use a proper rod when I want a proper clean.

Can you tell us what a "proper" clean is? Tell me how it benefits your shooting to scrub everything out of the bore.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a cleaning rod.

I haven't used it since getting a bore snake.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you tell us what a "proper" clean is? Tell me how it benefits your shooting to scrub everything out of the bore.

All right I'll play...

"Proper" is bright and shiny. You know, the condition you expect to see in a rifle you are considering buying.

Which leads to the answer for your second question...

I keep all of my stuff (houses, cars, guns etc.) in condition to sell. Not because I'm selling it, but because if I keep my stuff in sales ready condition I won't want to. In my experience, having the gun certainly benefits my shooting.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All right I'll play...

"Proper" is bright and shiny. You know, the condition you expect to see in a rifle you are considering buying.

I keep all of my stuff (houses, cars, guns etc.) in condition to sell. Not because I'm selling it, but because if I keep my stuff in sales ready condition I won't want to. In my experience, having the gun certainly benefits my shooting.

No, that's not an answer. The reason for cleaning the bore is to maintain the accuracy of the rifle. Tell me how scrubbing the hell out of your bore helps the rifle do its job.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All right I'll play...

No, that's not an answer. The reason for cleaning the bore is to maintain the accuracy of the rifle. Tell me how scrubbing the hell out of your bore helps the rifle do its job.

I said I'd play. I didn't say you get to make up all the rules. You tell me how my previous answer isn't an answer and I'll consider playing your way. I was always under the impression that if you are "scrubbing the hell out of your bore"  with anything you are doing it wrong. The again I guess those people, since they also taught me that a clean bore was necessary for proper inspection of the bore, were wrong too.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:23:00 PM EDT
[#20]
To each his own.  

My own personal preference it to snake it for a quick clean and to get moisture out, and to scrub it with a rod to get it real clean.  I prefer to remove the copper fouling too.

Then again, I'm against running Wolf through my gun too.

I'm not saying you're wrong to just use the snake or shoot Wolf all day long and not do (what I consider to be) a thorough cleaning of your rifle, I'm just saying its not what I would do.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#21]
In a chrome lined bore, a boresnake removes EVERYTHING. So why the extra scrubbing with a rod, patches, and perhaps a jag?
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All right I'll play...

I said I'd play. I didn't say you get to make up all the rules. You tell me how my previous answer isn't an answer and I'll consider playing your way. I was always under the impression that if you are "scrubbing the hell out of your bore"  with anything you are doing it wrong. The again I guess those people, since they also taught me that a clean bore was necessary for proper inspection of the bore, were wrong too.

What are you inspecting it for? Here, Silen puts it nicely:
http://www.shilen.com/faq.html#question12

How clean is clean?
We get this question many times and have a great deal of difficulty helping some customers understand that a rifle barrel does not have to be spotless to shoot great. Many times more harm than good is done in trying to get it that way. Picture a car's fender. If the fender has a small dent in it, then professional application of body putty fills the dent. When painted over, the dent becomes unnoticeable, and the surface of the fender is smooth and consistent. The same thing happens in a rifle barrel on a microscopic level. Removing this small trace of copper puts you right back to square one. The next bullet that crosses that area will, again, leave a small trace of copper. Similar to patching a pothole. All successful benchrest shooters shoot one or more "fouler" shots down the barrel before going to the record target. This is not to warm up the barrel. They are resurfacing it on the inside. Benchrest shooters clean between relays to get the powder fowling out, not the copper. However, since copper usually comes out with the powder, they know that it must be replaced to get "back in the groove". I've had shooters tell me they "cleaned their rifle for 3 hours to get all the copper out of it." Their next statement is almost invariably that they had to shoot 4-5 rounds through it just to get it back to "shooting" again. This tells me that in order for the rifle to shoot well again, they had to replace the copper they worked so diligently to remove. I have a 7x08 Improved that shoots the same 1/2" MOA after 15 minutes of cleaning or 3 hours of scrubbing and de-coppering. Personally, I prefer shooting to cleaning. The gist of this is to set a regular cleaning regimen and stay with it. If the accuracy of the rifle is acceptable with a 15 min. cleaning, why clean longer? I would much rather have people admiring the groups I shot than marveling at how clean my barrel looks on the inside.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All right I'll play...

How clean is clean?
We get this question many times and have a great deal of difficulty helping some customers understand that a rifle barrel does not have to be spotless to shoot great. Many times more harm than good is done in trying to get it that way. Picture a car's fender. If the fender has a small dent in it, then professional application of body putty fills the dent. When painted over, the dent becomes unnoticeable, and the surface of the fender is smooth and consistent. The same thing happens in a rifle barrel on a microscopic level. Removing this small trace of copper puts you right back to square one. The next bullet that crosses that area will, again, leave a small trace of copper. Similar to patching a pothole. All successful benchrest shooters shoot one or more "fouler" shots down the barrel before going to the record target. This is not to warm up the barrel. They are resurfacing it on the inside. Benchrest shooters clean between relays to get the powder fowling out, not the copper. However, since copper usually comes out with the powder, they know that it must be replaced to get "back in the groove". I've had shooters tell me they "cleaned their rifle for 3 hours to get all the copper out of it." Their next statement is almost invariably that they had to shoot 4-5 rounds through it just to get it back to "shooting" again. This tells me that in order for the rifle to shoot well again, they had to replace the copper they worked so diligently to remove. I have a 7x08 Improved that shoots the same 1/2" MOA after 15 minutes of cleaning or 3 hours of scrubbing and de-coppering. Personally, I prefer shooting to cleaning. The gist of this is to set a regular cleaning regimen and stay with it. If the accuracy of the rifle is acceptable with a 15 min. cleaning, why clean longer? I would much rather have people admiring the groups I shot than marveling at how clean my barrel looks on the inside.

Apples and oranges.

So, how is his 15 min cleaning done? You should have read the question ahead of that one on his faq.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

All right I'll play...

How clean is clean?

Apples and oranges.

So, how is his 15 min cleaning done? You should have read the question ahead of that one on his faq.

Yeah, that's for cleaning new barrels. Just like the Q part of the question says. Nobody is going to run a patch for every shot they fire once they condiser their barrel broken in. Look, the point of cleaning a barrel is to maintain the rifle's accuracy. If you can do that (and yes, you can) by simply removing the powder fouling, then you're wasting your time scrubbing out the rest of the copper. Consistency is the key to accuracy, and a bare barrel is not consistent until there is a buildup of copper in it. There's no point in scrubbing it out if you just have to put it right back in.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
yes and yes

this
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:06:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks like there is no good or for that matter a correct answer to the OP's question. IMHO I think it is best to give them a good cleaning For the bore snake guys, maybe it's not needed but when your dealing with a  $1300-$2000++ gun why not take care of it and BE SURE it's clean
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#27]
These gung ho retro's dont know how to properly use a Boresnake... Get a good one... and set it up right... and finish it off by pulling a peice of spider wire with a patch loop fixed to it with clean patches... and it will come out cleaner then any rod job... in half the time... with no damage to the rifle...

Not debateable... I tried both methods side by side...

get the snakes with the brush and rope seperate...

I do dozen passes with cleaner and brush on a string...

dozen of the rope saturated in oil...

then pull the Spider wire ( strong string) with the Patch loop on it with clean patches through until they come out white... (usually 2-3 and if heavy shooting was done MAYBE 6-8) and I'm talking the patches come out spotless...

I've even then cleaned the brush well... ran it through AGAIN... and pull the patch... and except for oil... it came out WHITE...

With the Rod... I can get the same results.... and takes about 2-3 times longer... plus potential damage to the barrel from the rod unless you buy a nicer Rod.

But it's all how you like to do it.... JUST DO IT RIGHT!
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#28]
i use one and it works great
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#29]
The boresnake adequately cleans the bore (chrome lined) on my BCM middie (I don't shoot Wolf).  I can see no benefit whatsoever to scrubbing with a rod, bore brush and patches.

I don't clean the tail on my bolt anymore either.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Looks like there is no good or for that matter a correct answer to the OP's question. IMHO I think it is best to give them a good cleaning For the bore snake guys, maybe it's not needed but when your dealing with a  $1300-$2000++ gun why not take care of it and BE SURE it's clean

Why use a more harsh method on that $2,000+ gun if the boresnake works just as well?

P.S. I'm telling you, with Gunslick foaming bore cleaner you need not drag anything down your bore. The stuff really is amazing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am really considering getting a boresnake for my rifle...because when i clean it with my stock cleaning rod that came with my colt....I feel like im tearing the hell out of my barrel. Just wondering how many others here use a snake....and if so....does it work well?

I am no expert.  But I have several guns including sveral rifles, revolvers, and semi-auto pistols.  I also have several cleaning kits including boresnakes.

I am old enough to have cleaned muskets.  :-)

The equipment to use in cleaning depends on the situation.  A thourough cleaning is always best.  But I see no problem with a boresnake for a quick range cleaning.  I generally wash the boresnakes with onlly a few uses.  That is very easy to do.  

I generally don't use them if I've fired a lot of rounds.  I never simply use a boresnake and skip the rest of the cleaning if I've fired more than a few rounds.

sdodd

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am no expert.  But I have several guns including sveral rifles, revolvers, and semi-auto pistols.  I also have several cleaning kits including boresnakes.

I am old enough to have cleaned muskets.  :-)

The equipment to use in cleaning depends on the situation.  A thourough cleaning is always best.  But I see no problem with a boresnake for a quick range cleaning.  I generally wash the boresnakes with onlly a few uses.  That is very easy to do.  

I generally don't use them if I've fired a lot of rounds.  I never simply use a boresnake and skip the rest of the cleaning if I've fired more than a few rounds.

sdodd

Muskets...  that's pretty funny!  

Well, well...  another religious debate.   I just love these things.  As someone else kind of mentioned, the OP is probably scratching his head and saying "WTF???".

This is more of a "different strokes for different folks" kind of discussion.
Some stroke with a rod, some pull with a snake.  Others just stroke and pull their....   Oops, sorry.

I own and use both a rod and a snake.   Depends on what I'm trying to accomplish, as to which one I'll use in a given situation.  Heck, it might be driven by my mood sometimes.  It also is definitely driven by the type of firearm I'm cleaning.  Some just don't lend themselves well to breach cleaning with a rod, so a snake would be in order.  This isn't a problem with an AR, so I mostly use a rod, not because of any reason other than that's what my Dad taught me to use.  Back then, I don't think there was such a thing as a bore snake.  So, I mostly use a rod merely out of habit.  That doesn't mean I don't like the snake, cause I do, sometimes.

Read, read some more.  If you're still confused, read some more until you're thoroughly clueless, then just pick one.   If you get your barrel clean enough for YOU, +1.

-Ty
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, well...  another religious debate.   I just love these things.

Exactly

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Ok then......thanks for the help....think I got all the info I needed.
Link Posted: 7/11/2009 4:03:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I generally wash the boresnakes with onlly a few uses.  That is very easy to do.

sdodd

I have Boresnakes for all my guns but have forgotten what the cleaning instructions are, and how often, as I tossed away the packaging.

Could you explain the process to clean them? I'm thinking of a washing machine and my wife yelling, "hey buddy...why do I have oil stains on my blouses?"

Thanks in advance,
Walsh

Link Posted: 7/11/2009 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Try it and see.  You might be suprised, like I was.  I clean with a jag, patches, and bore brush, until the patches come out white.  Then, I pull a tight, clean bore snake through.  Then, run a clean patch on a jag through.  You will not come out with a clean patch.  I think the jag, brush, and patches get a lot out that the bore snake can't get on its own, but the bore snake will pick up residue that the jag,brushes, patches miss.

So, if its time for a major cleaning job, I start with the jag, patches, and brush, and continue until the patch is white.  Then I pull the snake through a few times.  Then I run patches through until they are white.  The result is one clean bore.

Link Posted: 7/11/2009 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#37]

So, if its time for a major cleaning job, I start with the jag, patches, and brush, and continue until the patch is white. Then I pull the snake through a few times. Then I run patches through until they are white. The result is one clean bore.

Okay...I'm sure it is REALLY clean. I have two questions after reading both sides:

1- do you think your process of cleaning MUST have an affect on accuracy at 100 yds?

2- do you think you have extended barrel life, and accuracy, by being so meticulous?

I've just been using a Boresnake with three passes and that is one clean barrel.

I just got a New Kimber CDP II from the custom shop. After every 50 rounds I run it with some CLP before and behind the brushes. Why? I can't say I'm sure....LOL

Walsh

Thanks,
Walsh
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Ok then......thanks for the help....think I got all the info I needed.

No you didn't, here's a dancing banana to prove ti!

Link Posted: 7/12/2009 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So, if its time for a major cleaning job, I start with the jag, patches, and brush, and continue until the patch is white. Then I pull the snake through a few times. Then I run patches through until they are white. The result is one clean bore.

Okay...I'm sure it is REALLY clean. I have two questions after reading both sides:

1- do you think your process of cleaning MUST have an affect on accuracy at 100 yds?

2- do you think you have extended barrel life, and accuracy, by being so meticulous?

I've just been using a Boresnake with three passes and that is one clean barrel.

I just got a New Kimber CDP II from the custom shop. After every 50 rounds I run it with some CLP before and behind the brushes. Why? I can't say I'm sure....LOL

Walsh

Thanks,
Walsh

If you clean correctly (without damagning the bore), I believe it extends the accuracy life of the barrel.

Link Posted: 7/12/2009 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#40]
edit
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Bore Snakes are for people who don't give a shit or don't know any better............they suck.
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Bore Snakes are for people who don't give a shit or don't know any better............they suck.

I have chrome lined barrels on 16" guns.  A couple passes with the bore snake if more than enough for me.  If I had a $7K precision rifle I would not use a bore snake.  For a service grade AR15 they do the job more than adequately.  Please tell me why this is wrong because, apparently, I do not know any better.
Link Posted: 7/12/2009 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you clean correctly (without damagning the bore), I believe it extends the accuracy life of the barrel.

I have a low criteria/threshold for accuracy.....kinda like "Fearless Fosdick"...LOL

Seriously, I have a MB Gas Piston model and a former Marine sniper shot it and said my shooting issues are not the gun as it's damn accurate.
While working with him he asked when I had my eyes checked last and it was 7 years ago. I went to the doc to talk about LASIK and my shooting eye corrected is 20/40. Is that bad to shoot with?

Thanks,
Walsh

Link Posted: 7/12/2009 10:50:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Tell us what you really think!

Okay...I saw they are freaking phenomenal. But I'm not going to say why until you tell me specifically why they suck.

I take the barrel out of my handguns and NOTHING comes out on a patch after I run the Bore Snake through three times.

If you say they suck for a fixed barrel, still, why?

Walsh

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Come on, Walsh. This is ARFCOM, the laziest posters on the planet. They don't need to explain something, post links to what they are talking about, back up opinion with facts, or even get their feet out of photos!

Link Posted: 7/13/2009 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Through out the year I will use bore snakes. In the winter when I don't shoot much I strip down and give each gun a thorough  cleaning usually with a rod and patch. I think they are great for general cleaning and I think they clean the barrel plenty good for most applications.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#47]
I used to use cleaning rods exclusively.  That's what I was taught.
I 'harrumphed' at those lazy SOB's who used boresnakes.

A friend told me I should give it a try, and after a while, I did.  I was impressed at how effectively they cleaned.  I could spend three times as much time, using a rod and patches/brushes and get them cleaner, but why?

Now, I use both.  Boresnakes for basic cleaning, and rods for end of the season/put away for winter type cleaning.  Just another tool in the box.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Come on, Walsh. This is ARFCOM, the laziest posters on the planet. They don't need to explain something, post links to what they are talking about, back up opinion with facts, or even get their feet out of photos!

What was I thinking?

Mea culpa,
Walsh
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I like the boresnake.  It make's life easier, I used to spend so much time thinking about/actually cleaning it started to take the fun out of actually shooting the rifle.  Now I do what I have to as easily as possible when it comes to cleaning, other than that I just enjoy shooting the SOB.
Link Posted: 7/13/2009 4:56:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I 'harrumphed' at those lazy SOB's who used boresnakes.

A HARRUMPH?

What did the Hek-Kow-Wee think of THAT?

Walsh

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top