Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2005 8:45:42 PM EDT
I saw this stuff at walmart, and it says it has no ammonia, so I'm thinking it's safer for chrome lined bores.  Anyone had any experience with it?  Does it work well?  Does it turn you barrel into melted puddle of goo on the floor?  Just kidding about the goo.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used it on several non-chrome lined bores (a couple of rifles and a pistol).  It is more convenient than any bore cleaner I have ever used, cleans OK if you let it sit in the bore 15 minutes or so.

Just be sure to hold a paper towel or rag over the opposite end of the bore from where you are squirting it in at.  I don't know why, but this stuff tends to fly out the opposite end quite easily.  I thought that it would just stick in the bore and not get all over everything else, but it doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Just be sure to hold a paper towel or rag over the opposite end of the bore from where you are squirting it in at.  I don't know why, but this stuff tends to fly out the opposite end quite easily.  I thought that it would just stick in the bore and not get all over everything else, but it doesn't.

Thanks for the advice.  It sounds like even though doesn't turn barrel's into a pile of melted goo in the foor, I still would have ended up with some goo in the floor.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 4:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I used this stuff on 2 CMP M-1 Garands, and it worked great.  One barrel took about 8 or 9 applications, the other around 13 or 14.  Yeah, that's a lot of cleaning, but each time up till the last the foam came out discolored, so it was working.  The first few treatments turned blue, indicating copper.  I can't imagine how long it would have taken with normal bore cleaner.

I did these cleanings with the gas system removed, since I had the rifles torn down for their initial cleaning (by me).  I'm not sure if there would be any problems if the foam got into the gas tube on an AR - it would certainly clean the small portion of the tube it came in contact with, but since you couldn't clean it out without disassembling, I dunno.

Opinions?

BTW - even after the 20+ applications above, I'd estimate I still have almost a half can left.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 11:49:25 PM EDT
[#4]
a friend of mine used it a bunch when he cleaned over at my place (usually where he cleaned his guns... argh!).

he said it worked really well.  i think the most notable ones were his .357 wheelgun and his old persian mauser (which he shot that dirty CHEAP turkish surplus CRAP or wherever it came from).  he foamed the bore/cylinder, then let it sit for 15 minutes.  _generally_ it was clean with one application.  impressive in my book.

but, i told him he had to do it outside.  the foam _could_ make a mess, and when the can got low, the propellant would smell horribly (propane i guess).

i'd say try it, you might really like it, but be prepared for a mess.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 11:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I used this stuff on 2 CMP M-1 Garands, and it worked great.  One barrel took about 8 or 9 applications, the other around 13 or 14.  Yeah, that's a lot of cleaning, but each time up till the last the foam came out discolored, so it was working.  The first few treatments turned blue, indicating copper.  I can't imagine how long it would have taken with normal bore cleaner.

I did these cleanings with the gas system removed, since I had the rifles torn down for their initial cleaning (by me).  I'm not sure if there would be any problems if the foam got into the gas tube on an AR - it would certainly clean the small portion of the tube it came in contact with, but since you couldn't clean it out without disassembling, I dunno.

Opinions?

BTW - even after the 20+ applications above, I'd estimate I still have almost a half can left.

On my AR I just hit the gas tube with some brake cleaner after to get the foam out. It really cleaned the crap out of my bore. I was impressed.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Is brake cleaner (or gun scrubber) safe for chrome lined bores?  If so, that sounds like the way for me to go.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is brake cleaner (or gun scrubber) safe for chrome lined bores?  ......

Yes, it is perfectly safe.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
On my AR I just hit the gas tube with some brake cleaner after to get the foam out. It really cleaned the crap out of my bore. I was impressed.

Cool - thanks.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I use it quite a bit. Most notably I did two treatments in my Makarov when I first tested it. Afterwards I could see the bright chrome in the bore. Before I had cleaned it with Hoppes 9 and CLP and the bore was still dark. I prefer to use it after cleaning then clear it out with action cleaner or carb cleaner. For the bore I clean it out with Hoppes 9. Then finally run a patch of rust preventer like CLP etc...
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#10]
i have tried the outers foam stuff

foams all into the gas tube and everywhere and i cleaned it out with brake cleaner. brake cleaner works great on metal but be careful for plastics and finishes
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top