Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/24/2005 12:16:01 PM EDT
Headed to the sandbox in a couple of months and I'm looking at storage options to prevent corrosion.

I'm thinking these may be my best bet...
secure.armorholdings.com/kleen-bore/product401.html

Anyone found a price cheaper than here?
www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=23690
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#1]
BreakFree CLP from Walmart seems to do a very good job at preventing corrosion. Short of using cosmoline, BreakFree CLP is probably the best way to go. Use a large amount of it in the bore, chamber, and other steel surfaces. When you get back home, wipe off the excess and rock and roll.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I had this same dilemma, and was turned on to these bags you put teh firearms into and sealed.

Oh, and the second best answer was to give them to someone to take care of.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I would suggest using, in combination, a gun bag and a heavy gun oil, like Hoppes gun oil.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I would think you could get away with disassembling the rifle, coating everything in grease, reassembling the rifle and then inserting it in a double or triple layer of heavy duty trash bags. Close up the trash bags with duct tape.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had several shotguns in long term storage for over 3 years. I took the barrels and oiled them with a light VCI oil and put them in a gun slip in a piece of drain and sewer (lightweight PVC) pipe. I glued one end with a pipe end piece using standard pvc glue. After I added a dissicant pack, I put in one of the VCI capsules (now carried by Midway) that emit a corrosion defeating vapor and I put an end piece on the other end and used some air conditioning duct tape (the metal faced kind- you can get it at ACE) to seal it. I labeled the removable end piece with the date and piece it contained. I check one each year and there has been no rust. They are stored in a locker in my garage, subject to temp/humidity swings.

Be careful with oil/grease coming in contact with wooden stocks, for ends, etc. It will rot them out over time.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have had several shotguns in long term storage for over 3 years. I took the barrels and oiled them with a light VCI oil and put them in a gun slip in a piece of drain and sewer (lightweight PVC) pipe. I glued one end with a pipe end piece using standard pvc glue. After I added a dissicant pack, I put in one of the VCI capsules (now carried by Midway) that emit a corrosion defeating vapor and I put an end piece on the other end and used some air conditioning duct tape (the metal faced kind- you can get it at ACE) to seal it. I labeled the removable end piece with the date and piece it contained. I check one each year and there has been no rust. They are stored in a locker in my garage, subject to temp/humidity swings.

Be careful with oil/grease coming in contact with wooden stocks, for ends, etc. It will rot them out over time.

You must never get to play with your toys using storage like that!!!!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:13:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been thinking of trying this. Breakfree clp has never given me any problem but some of my guns I never shoot anymore

www.wholesalehunter.com/product/breakfre/breades/co4.htm
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:05:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy a cheap safe from walwart.  Put a heavy coat of Breakfree CLP on weapons, put in safe with a 750 grams of desicant, close safe and tape up all seams and holes on safe.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top