User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/5/2004 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Like sOulzerO said,get some of the oils and try them for yourself.Thats the key.Heck most of the manufacturers send free samples so its rather easy,although it takes alot more than one or two applications to really test a lube.
The lube has to make you happy no matter what any of us say,and its not worth arguing about.
I go with what works for me no matter what any manufacturer or individual says.
Raymond
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 5:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So it was just subjective than.  The funny thing about subjective test are that we often see what we want to see.  

View Quote

If you want to call it subjective, then fine.

I use FP-10 CLP now over BreakFree CLP because I used it and it cleaned better for me than the
BreakFree, that was easily visible - I don't see how that could be subjective.
It's lubrication was thicker and that is easily seen too. It smells better - that can be found
by opening the caps and sniffing.

Militec-1, I use less of it to do the same job BreakFree Greased Lightning did with 3x more.
I have not had any rust, the lubricating properties are still on the slide rails even after heavy use.

That's how I decided I liked it better.
All of those things are easily seen - I don't call that simply subjective.

I just ordered some Eezox - am I going to do any extensive popular mechanics
scientific analysis on it?
No - I'm going to use it on my weapons and compare it to what I currently use,
just like I did before I started using what I use currently.

Do you do testing on all the food that you eat to see if it
chemically should taste good first?
After all, just putting it in your mouth and tasting it might only
be a subjective opinion of the food.
[:D]

I guess I'm "old school" where as - if you use something and compare it to what you were using
it will either work better, or not.
I will either see a performance change for the better, worse or no change at all.
I don't need to do any lab testing on it.
It cleans better or not.
It lubricates better or not.
All of this can be seen thru use.

~ s0ulzer0
View Quote

I have tried them all, hell even I took most of the wonder lubes to OIF with me.  But in the end you couldn't tell the differance between any of them.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 6:14:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never even heard of BreakFree Greased Lightning.  I know of a spray-bottle cleaner of Greased Lightning, but that's it.
View Quote

The Break Free Greased lightning is now called Break Free LP.
View Quote

Oh ok, I know about BF LP.  It's not as good as the BF CLP.

So its true the FP-10 does not lubricate as well as the militec,but only by a very small margin.
View Quote

I can't disagree more.  FP-10 showed fantastic lubrication abilities.  Militec-1 was hard to discern a difference in results from dry/no lubrication.

ASTN testing of Militec-1 has also shown it to be a poor lubricator.  Very low weld points, big scar marks, etc.
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 6:47:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have tried them all, hell even I took most of the wonder lubes to OIF with me.  But in the end you couldn't tell the differance between any of them.  
View Quote

Well, I can't say anything about the experience you had with them, I can only comment on mine.

That's why I don't bother reading many "lab tests" and rather listen to what people's
true experiences with the product was, then try it for myself. Just Like I will with the Eesox
when it gets delivered.

That's just how I'm used to doing things, whatever works for you.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The last time I cleaned/lubed my pistol.. hmm trying to remember that was high hundreds.. probably a thousand rounds ago.  5-6 months and some wet shoots included.

The slide rails and the rail tabs on the frame still look wet, a q-tip sample confirms they are still oiled sufficiently.  Crud is minimal and that might be an overstatement.  It's in as good of operating condition as ever.
View Quote

[img]http://wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us/~wyv3rn/lubed.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last time I cleaned/lubed my pistol.. hmm trying to remember that was high hundreds.. probably a thousand rounds ago.  5-6 months and some wet shoots included.

The slide rails and the rail tabs on the frame still look wet, a q-tip sample confirms they are still oiled sufficiently.  Crud is minimal and that might be an overstatement.  It's in as good of operating condition as ever.
View Quote

[url]http://wheel.dcn.davis.ca.us/~wyv3rn/lubed.jpg[/url]
View Quote

That was after an Eezox treatment?

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

~ s0ulzer0
View Quote

That is how it looks today.  That is indeed Eezox, but I haven't applied new Eezox for months and many rounds as described above.

Eezox has been used on this pistol for awhile now.  It's good the first time you use it but it really shines after it's been used for awhile (2-3 applications) and really has a chance to work it's way into all the metals and displace whatever other LP's might be present.

I lubricate very lightly, each frame rail gets a drop, the slide rails get a drop worked down their length but the excess gets wiped off.  The solvent is the carrier so when it dries all that is left is lubrication & protection which is "wet" but behaves more like a dry lubricant in that it stays put and doesn't collect dirt & sand easily.
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never even heard of BreakFree Greased Lightning.  I know of a spray-bottle cleaner of Greased Lightning, but that's it.
View Quote

The Break Free Greased lightning is now called Break Free LP.
View Quote

Oh ok, I know about BF LP.  It's not as good as the BF CLP.

So its true the FP-10 does not lubricate as well as the militec,but only by a very small margin.
View Quote

I can't disagree more.  FP-10 showed fantastic lubrication abilities.  Militec-1 was hard to discern a difference in results from dry/no lubrication.

ASTN testing of Militec-1 has also shown it to be a poor lubricator.  Very low weld points, big scar marks, etc.
View Quote

wyv3rn,
Probably should have said it different.
I did not mean to say militec was the better all around lubricant...
just that it takes a slightly higher load in the S.W.R.I. ASTM tests if thats what is being compared here.And I mean slightly.No more.Reason being is it is pure state EP additive with a high halogen ratio.Like I said more is not better in this case.The higher loads and torque as well as lack of balance is to blame for higher temps etc.etc..
I agree FP-10 is the best balanced and designed product.Not to mention it is weapons specific.
Im for sure not a militec fan.Been there done that already.
But comparing the load aspects of the two is moot.Both place an EP film on the metal,just different goals and results are achieved.
George Fennell's "effect on metals" paper explains it perfectly in my opinion.
Raymond
Link Posted: 4/6/2004 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

~ s0ulzer0
View Quote

That is how it looks today.  That is indeed Eezox, but I haven't applied new Eezox for months and many rounds as described above.

Eezox has been used on this pistol for awhile now.  It's good the first time you use it but it really shines after it's been used for awhile (2-3 applications) and really has a chance to work it's way into all the metals and displace whatever other LP's might be present.

I lubricate very lightly, each frame rail gets a drop, the slide rails get a drop worked down their length but the excess gets wiped off.  The solvent is the carrier so when it dries all that is left is lubrication & protection which is "wet" but behaves more like a dry lubricant in that it stays put and doesn't collect dirt & sand easily.
View Quote

That's impressive, I can't wait for my Eezox to arrive so I can try it out.

~ s0ulzer0
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top