Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2012 6:12:37 PM EDT
I know this is an ar15 site but i searched google and didnt want to join another site for a simple question...

I just bought a Stevens(Savage) model 320 12 gauge pump. When i went and shot today, after about 5 rounds the nut that holds the handguard in place came loose and the hand gaurd is flopping around and I cant load another round. So i think no big deal it must have never been tightened and ill do that real quick. So i do and go back to shooting and again, 5 rounds handguard is loose, So this time i really torque it down, same thing happens. Then i tighten it and use a punch in the grooves of the nut and a hammer to tap it and turn it tighter. Same thing happens again with about 5 or 6 rounds. So is there a tool i need that has 2 tabs to go in the grooves that i can really torque it down, or does it just need Loctite, or do i have a problem with the gun/parts?

thanks for your imput guys....
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a proper spanner wrench for that but. locktite and a careful screwdriver will fix it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There is a proper spanner wrench for that but. locktite and a careful screwdriver will fix it.

And, you should have known

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 9:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
update:

The threads are stripped. Ill be taking it back for a refund, thought about exchanging it as the guy at Big 5 said I could, but i think ill get a Mossberg or Remington as I have never had an issue with them. Shooting 5 rounds with this shotgun and having theads strip out was kind of a turn off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
update:

The threads are stripped. Ill be taking it back for a refund, thought about exchanging it as the guy at Big 5 said I could, but i think ill get a Mossberg or Remington as I have never had an issue with them. Shooting 5 rounds with this shotgun and having theads strip out was kind of a turn off.

was the shotgun used when you bought it?  The threads were probably already stripped.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:.

was the shotgun used when you bought it?  The threads were probably already stripped.
[/quote]

No it was brand new from Big 5. I took it out of the box to where i shoot, shot about 10rounds and it came off. I never pumped it hard, dropped it, beat on it or anything like that. Ive seen good reviews of the gun, but sometimes you get what you paid for, $179. I didnt like how "rough" it was to pump anyway, compared to a 500 or a 870, they cycle rounds much more "smoothly". The gun was super light and i did like that, and the pistol grip. It was just a fun play with gun and ill find something else used or on sale soon and try again.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top