Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/18/2010 12:59:19 PM EDT
S&W AR.

First 5 to 8 mags feed, fire, and eject flawlessly.  Then out of nowhere, I start having feeding issues.  The round will not leave mag and chamber.  Round winds up getting caught in bolt, and I have to pull charging handle to eject the dented round.  This happens without warning.  The only thing that is consistent is that it happens about 5 to 8 mags in.  Also, if I load a mag, put mag in, and pull charging handle, it will also do this.  Any of you fine folks have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Possible defective magazine. Have you tried a different mag when it does this?
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry.  I should've been more specific.  Tried 4 different kinds of mags.  Same issue with all of them.  Colt mag, Pmag, CProducts, Piece of Crap that came with gun.  Mag is definitely not the issue.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It's called 'bolt override'. The bolt does not catch the round properly so it can push it into the chamber. Is this a brand new gun? Did you clean/lube it before use? Did you hand-cycle it a few hundred times before loading it? Do you clean/lube after every firing session?
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The S&W guns (primarily the early ones) had magwell spec issues.  The magazine may not be seating high enough for the bolt to strip the top round off correctly.  Could also be an issue with the chamber/feed ramps - if they are completely screwed, it's possible that the cartridge is being stripped okay, but it's getting pulled off of the bolt face prior to being chambered.  There are only a couple of possibilities.  

In this situation, faulty magazine is the most common issue, but it sounds like you've already narrowed that down with multiple mags.

Can you give some history on the gun?  New/used?  

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I cleaned and lubed her prior to first shoot.  Cleaned and lubed her after first shoot.  I've only had her out to the range twice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 7:08:11 AM EDT
[#6]
THe gun was bought new fall of 2009.  Magwell issues seem to be non existent as my pmags fit and drop like they should.  I know some S&W ar's have an issue with pmags.  I suspect it is the feed ramps, but my buddies, nor myself can visibly see anything wrong with it.  One suggested it was a BCG issue, but advised me to post here to get more opinions.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the additional info.  The fact that the gun will do this even when you just rack the CH weeds out a lot of stuff that only happens while the gun is firing.  Feed ramps are one of the first places I'd look, but they've got to be really screwed up for it to be doing this consistently.

If you have another AR, swap the upper, lower, and BCG (individually) with the other gun to see if you can find a culprit.

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I find it funny you are thanking me for additional info when you are the one helping me!  :)  BTW, thank you for your help good sir.  Unfortunately,  this is my first AR.  At this point, I'm thinking my best bet may be to just send her in.  Unless you can think of any other troubleshooting I can do.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I find it funny you are thanking me for additional info when you are the one helping me! :) BTW, thank you for your help good sir. Unfortunately, this is my first AR. At this point, I'm thinking my best bet may be to just send her in. Unless you can think of any other troubleshooting I can do.

You may want to check out the NJ HTF and see if any of your fellow Garden Staters will be able to meet up with you and/or recommend a shop that is good with ARs.

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
S&W AR.

First 5 to 8 mags feed, fire, and eject flawlessly.  Then out of nowhere, I start having feeding issues.

What kind of ammo are you using? Could be dirty chamber?

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you scrub that chamber out and try again?  What ammo.  Is it craping it up.  What Lube?  CLP?
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Where in NJ are you located? There is quite a few of us that would not mind meeting you on the range to try to help.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W AR.

First 5 to 8 mags feed, fire, and eject flawlessly.  Then out of nowhere, I start having feeding issues.

We thought of that as well.  However, this issue also happens when I'm just cycling a full mag, ejecting the rounds by pulling on the charging handle.  I've done this right after I've cleaned and lubed her, same issues.  I was shooting PMC .223 and Winchester 5.56.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Gun fully cleaned (chamber brush used) and CLP lubed correctly.

Single round loaded in a mag, charge and fired with the empty mag still left in the rifle.

After such, did the bolt lock back on the bolt catch (catch in front of the bolt face, and not on the bottom of the carrier)?

Fully cleaner, and lubed correctly, to the best of my knowledge.

I have yet to just load one round, chamber it, and fire with empty mag.  I will try this next time I'm out.  However, when the first 5 to 8 mags were being shot, the bolt would stay open after last round shot.

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where in NJ are you located? There is quite a few of us that would not mind meeting you on the range to try to help.

I'm in Monmouth County shwag.  I was actually out with Lugerman at CJRPC last weekend.  We both could not figure out why I was having this issue.  I would love to meet you if you are willing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W AR.

We thought of that as well.  However, this issue also happens when I'm just cycling a full mag, ejecting the rounds by pulling on the charging handle.  I've done this right after I've cleaned and lubed her, same issues.  I was shooting PMC .223 and Winchester 5.56.

Hmmm.  Could this perhaps be a tight chamber?
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Another guy has started a new thread explaining his chambering issues.  The picture of the round he posted, is exactly what my damaged rounds look like.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=497893
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top