Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 9:43:50 PM EDT
Put an Olimpic Arms upper on my AR in 7.62x39 and it does not set the round off every time. Would a longer firing pin or a stronger hammer spring help?

Davisa
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:44:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Dano523

Thanks, your right the FP is at .037. I have access to a lath so I'll turn the FP down .002 and retry the whole thing.

Davis
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Dano523.
I seem to be having the exact  problem with my Model 1 Sales upper.  Got it complete with BCG.  Just won't fire every round,  there are dents in the primers, but "no joy" as you put it.  14 out of 80 did not go bang.  I contacted Model 1 and they told me to try brass cased ammo, blaming steel cased ammo for the problem.  (which I did myself initially).  In any event, do you know where I can get the specs for the 7.62x39 bolt?  Best I can tell, I need about .005 more on the FP to meet the specs described in your post.  I can certainly chuck the FP up and file it a bit, but just wanted to verify my bolt deminsions.
Regards,
C1
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Dano523,
Yep, they told me to try the gun with brass cased ammo, if it still would not run then send it back to them for inspection and testing.  The indication I got was steel cased ammo was a/the problem.  I did notice in another post here on AR15.com , that appeared to be from a Model 1 Sales person, that M1S blasted Wolf ammo as a source of functioninig problems.  I've shot my share of Wolf in 223 and 7.62 and never had a misfire / failure to fire.  Except for a few odd boxes, Wolf is about all I have in 7.62.  Enough about that, I need to get this gun running.
So, is it possible my FP is out of spec?  Where can I get the deminsions of a 7.62x39 firing pin?  I can't get to it tonight, but on Wed I'm going to remeasure the FP protrusion again and check function again.  I did notice the bolt had litte to no lube when I tore it down, so it's swimming in CLP right now.(don't kow how I missed the lube when I first got the upper).
Regards,
C1
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Dano523,
Update on M1S upper:  Went to the range today, sorted my ammo to be sure what was being fired, (or not fired).  I took, Wolf, SAPSAN, Barnul and Silver Bear.  Barnul, Silver Bear and SAPSAN fired with no malfunctions.  Only about half of the Wolf would ignite.  Will start measuring things after lunch.  It does seem the Wolf primers are seated a bit deeper than the others.  Going to pull a few down and check the primers that dented but didn't fire.
regards,
C1
Link Posted: 4/21/2006 11:43:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Dano523,
Additional update:  The firing pin of the 7.62x39 measure 3.274, my 5.56 pin measures 3.277

Also, the Wolf ammo primers are seated  .001 to .002 deeper than on the other ammo.  Down loaded two rounds and ran the cases through my SKS.  Primers popped just fine.
Regards,
C1
Link Posted: 4/23/2006 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dano523,
Additional update:  The firing pin of the 7.62x39 measure 3.274, my 5.56 pin measures 3.277

Also, the Wolf ammo primers are seated  .001 to .002 deeper than on the other ammo.  Down loaded two rounds and ran the cases through my SKS.  Primers popped just fine.
Regards,
C1

Did you fix the problem yet?  I also have a M1S 7.62 upper thats giving me a lot of FTF.  50% of Wolf won't even fire.  I even tried another brand and I still had FTF.  I wonder if they can put a better spring or longer firing spring for deeper protrusion.
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Have not tested since getting the new firing pin.  Will give it a go this weekend.  I found that Wolf primers are seated a bit deeper than on other ammo brands.  But the rifle should still run the Wolf.  Will post range results as soon as possible.
Regards,
C1
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 6:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Have not tested since getting the new firing pin.  Will give it a go this weekend.  I found that Wolf primers are seated a bit deeper than on other ammo brands.  But the rifle should still run the Wolf.  Will post range results as soon as possible.
Regards,
C1

They sent you another firing pin?  Have you measured your old one vs your new one?  I am going to send the complete gun back because soemthings wrong with the sights.
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Corn,
Nope, bought the FP outright.  M1S said to try brass cased ammo, indicating that steel cased ammo was the culprit.  If it wouldn't run on brasss cased ammo, htne send it back for them to look at.  They wern't all that helpful, and the lady I talked to did not seem very informed.  More like she was reading from a script.  The new FP is exactly .003 longer that the original FP.
Regards,
C1
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Corn,
Nope, bought the FP outright.  M1S said to try brass cased ammo, indicating that steel cased ammo was the culprit.  If it wouldn't run on brasss cased ammo, htne send it back for them to look at.  They wern't all that helpful, and the lady I talked to did not seem very informed.  More like she was reading from a script.  The new FP is exactly .003 longer that the original FP.
Regards,
C1

Please let me know how it fires wolf.  I would like to know if its good enough for deep/hard primers as well as the winchester/remington and other pedigree ammo w/o piercing the primers.  Can you tell me where you bought it?  I am anxiously awaiting your reports. Corsair, I have a couple extra power hammer springs on its way too.  So I'll report as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Update,
New FP made no difference.  Silver Bear, Barnul, and SAPSAN ammo run great, but about 1/3 of the Wolf, fails to fire.  So I'm back to more speculation on the problem.  Will take a look at mod'ing the FP or bolt.  Don't know which as yet.
Regards,
C1  
Link Posted: 4/30/2006 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I am going to get a stronger hammer.  I will report.  BTW.  Do you have any pics on how deep your primer strikes were?  thanks.

UPDATE  I got my Extra Power Hammer Spring today and I installed it.  I won't have time to go to the range until the weekend.  I am hoping my 10 round magazine comes before then.  I will report.  I did notice however, that the hammer is much stiffer than the stock hammer spring.  It takes extra effort to cock the hammer when testing it by hand.
Link Posted: 5/1/2006 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Corn,
Are you running a standard or NM trigger?
Regards,
C1
Link Posted: 5/1/2006 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Standard.  why?

Installed Extra Power Hammer Spring.  All works well.  1 out of 40 rounds misfired out of Wolf.  Every round of Brown Bear and Winchester fired flawlessly.  The extra power hammer spring "should" be standard for every lower with 7.62 upper.
Link Posted: 5/14/2006 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Standard.  why?

Installed Extra Power Hammer Spring.  All works well.  1 out of 40 rounds misfired out of Wolf.  Every round of Brown Bear and Winchester fired flawlessly.  The extra power hammer spring "should" be standard for every lower with 7.62 upper.

Where did you get the Spring at? I'm having the same issues and I really dont want to take sandpaper to my FP.
Link Posted: 5/14/2006 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top