Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2006 10:08:46 AM EDT
What it is.  RRA Upper, B/BCG/CH, Lower and a bushmaster 20" Chrome lined barrel.  A2 stock.

Gun is empty bolt back, insert a mag, hit the bolt release, and this is what happens.  Now I have tried 20 and 30 round mags all D&H with magpul gen 2 followers and it still happens.  I have to pull back on the CH and let it hit the round again and it will push it in.  After the first round is fired the gun will function normally.  This will happen with only 5 rounds in either a 20 or 30 round mag.

I have been playing around at home and loading a 20 round mag up with 20 rounds and manually cycling the entire mag and it still does it almost every round.

I have also tried the same mags in my bushmaster M4 and I have no issues what-so-ever.  One thing I did notice is my bushmaster has a collapsible stock on it and the gun that has the issues has an A2 stock on it.  The bushmaster with the collapsible stock seems to go forward with a lot more force than the full A2 stock.  Could it be that I need a heavy wolf spring???  Both guns have normal buffers.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller???

Any theories???
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Checked everything and it is ok.  It has the A2 buffer and spring, it was lightly coated with CLP and there was no burr on the roll pin in the buffer.
I let the bolt carrier group drop into the barrel by gravity and it wasn't binding anywhere.

I think it may just be a weak buffer spring.  I pulled my bushmaster lower on this upper.  My bushy lower has a vltor stock on it.  With the bushy lower on this upper the rounds strip for the mags fine.  I can also feel a heavier pull required to pull back the CH when I have the other lower on.

It may just be a weak A2 buffer spring.  I was looking at the wolf extra power spring and that may solve my issue, but..... may lead to cycling issues with low powered ammo.  I can try it for $14.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a new build that was doing this exact same thing. I pulled the stock LMT spring and swapped in an extra DPMS spring that I had and that did the trick. Both springs came out of carbine stocks (LMT 5pos, DPMS 6pos). The LMT spring was about an inch shorter than the DPMS spring. I found that odd but I don't have another LMT spring to compare it with. I'll just replace the spring with a Wolff extra power.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I got my wolff extra power spring and so far it has seemed to solve the issue with hand cycling and letting the bolt fly from hitting the release.  I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet so hopefully I won't have short stroking issues.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top