BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/1/2005 10:24:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523]
I picked up a DPMS lower parts kit to replace the internals in my EA J15 lower and was shooting it last sunday(beta mag dump) and the hammer and trigger pins started walking out on me. Never had that problem with the original interals. Would using the old trigger and hammer pins fix it? Or would I just be better off spending the cash for some anti-walk pins???
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
make sure you have the legs of your hammer spring OVER the pin, not under.  That usually fixes the problem.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Also check to make sure that the spring legs are only touching the annular groove of the pin, and not on the side of the trigger C channel as the trigger is moved.

If needed, either tweak the spring to prevent the leg from touching the trigger, of if the spring is installed correctly, you may have to either thin out the spring leg or widen the pin groove to prevent the spring leg from walking out of the groove.
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, I'll check it all over when I get home from work.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
if the hammer spring is in the appropriate location on the trigger pin, what causes the hammer pin to slide?  After many rounds, my hammer pin rotates and slipslides to the side where the bolt hold open is?!
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 12:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Colt45guy:
make sure you have the legs of your hammer spring OVER the pin, not under.  That usually fixes the problem.

What he said.  This happened to me, made the change and everything was OK.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Hellhound:

What he said.  This happened to me, made the change and everything was OK.  

heehee....how do you think I learned this little tidbit of info?  (I didn't get an answer here within my 4 minute attention span, then found a pic over on Pre-Ban.com)
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I took a flashlight and looked down where the spring leg fits into the trigger pin groove, the trigger C-channel was preventing the spring from settling all the way into the groove.
I had to slightly file the rear of the C-channel down. After filing it a little, the spring settles into the pin groove perfectly.
No more walking pin.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By NMGlocker:
I took a flashlight and looked down where the spring leg fits into the trigger pin groove, the trigger C-channel was preventing the spring from settling all the way into the groove.
I had to slightly file the rear of the C-channel down. After filing it a little, the spring settles into the pin groove perfectly.
No more walking pin.

Or you could have just tweaked the spring leg to make it sit in the correct alignment (read see this problem when someone does a 15 min trigger job and makes the lighten spring leg bend down the leg, and not at the coils).
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:26:22 AM EDT
[#10]
A little update. Yesterday I dumpped a beta mag out of the gun, I hadn't played with anything ust checked to see that everything was installed the way it should be and it was. Didn't have a problem with it....
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Dano523:
Or you could have just tweaked the spring leg to make it sit in the correct alignment (read see this problem when someone does a 15 min trigger job and makes the lighten spring leg bend down the leg, and not at the coils).

No, this channel was not cut down enough.
I looked at the spring bend option first. (The Dremel is always my last resort).
There was just no way the spring would bend enough to engage the groove.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:00:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#13]

Are you talking about the legs of the hammer spring going over the trigger pin?  On my SP1 carbine, the legs go under the trigger pin.  If someone could include some pics that would be great as I have had trouble getting the picture from the manuals.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:48:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#14]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the pic Dano, that really helped out a lot.  I know I am not the one that posted this topic but the info was invaluable.  I got my hammer spring legs seated perfectly on the trigger pin.  Took 30 secs.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:57:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Remember, you cheat on your rifle and the pins will walk out on you for another AR.
And next time buy them some flowers and hope this crap dosnt happen again!
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Yea, I want my trigger and hammer pins to look just like Dano's, and the parts that go with them too!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I read the above posts and I am not sure if my trigger assembly is right or not.  My hammer springs do not look like Danos to me so maybe I need to bend them to look like his?
Here are the best pics I could get.

I cannot stand this pin walking out!

I know the weapon needs to be cleaned.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:47:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:41:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MeatPopsicle] [#21]

Originally Posted By Tweak:
your hammer spring is on backwards

Thanks.   Fixed it.    The pin does not move so easily now, cannot wait to return to the range!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL ... I bought a used DPMS lower and had a walking trigger pin as well.  It also would dent the primer on Norinco 7.62x39 ammo using a 7.62x39 upper but wouldn't fire.  

I just checked tonight and the hammer spring is installed backwards ... there is definitely more striking force on the hammer now that I corrected it.  I'll have to try that Norinco ammo again ...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:49:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:05:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tweak] [#25]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MyakkaVice] [#26]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
My hammer spring is in right and I had my trigger pin walk on me today. So is there another fix? I guess I will order some "anti-walk" pins.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:47:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MyakkaVice] [#29]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By MyakkaVice:
When you put your trigger pin into the lower receiver, is it going in from the right side (same side as the magazine catch button) UNGROOVED END FIRST?

I am not 100% sure but I think I found the problem. When I said that my hammer spring was in the right position, I meant it was above the trigger pin. But after looking today I noticed one leg of the hammer spring was on the trigger assemble and not resting on the trigger pin. I moved that leg and am hoping that will do the trick. It seems to have more tension now
Link Posted: 8/13/2006 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Seems like you've already gotten your answer, but:

I had a similar problem occur with my AR. Bang, bang bang, click click click. WTF?

Go to check it out. Turns out the guy I bought the lower from installed the hammer spring upside down. Rightside-upped it and A-OK.

He also didn't install the mag release properly. Duhhh.
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 2:35:59 AM EDT
[#32]
JUST HAD MY DANCE WITH THE HAMMER SPRING/ TRIGGER PIN DISCOURD..DECIDED TO INSTALL JP PINS BECAUSE MY DPMS PINS WERE WALKING. .... THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY THE J SPRING WOULD DRAG AND COULD BE ELIMINATED.   SIX DRILL BITS LATER I DECIDED IT WAS GOING TO STAY. AFTER STARING AT THE PHOTOS ON THE SITE, I DECIDED THAT THE TRIGGER PIN GROOVE DIDN'T HAVE TO BE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE LOWER......WORKED LIKE A CHARM! GREAT WEBSITE.....  
Link Posted: 9/28/2006 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Tweak:
your hammer spring is on backwards

THAT'S WHAT I SAID,  PUT THEM IN RIGHT ......

THE NOTCHS ARE 4        ???   4  A wHILE ????
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Same thing with my DPMS lower. Tweak the spring...Good to go. Seems like the DPMS holes are a bit larger then others. Don't you hate a loose hole?!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I had just recently replaced the Model 1 fire control parts in my Ameetech lower with RRA parts.
I have been to the range a couple of times, and burned off rounds in pretty quick fashion, with no problem.

Last night, I was sighting in my new red dot, and started having problems.
Hard trigger pull, bolt not wanting to close on a fresh mag, etc.

Found my trigger pin walking out!

I had reassembled my gun using a pictorial guide from this site so I knew my spring was in correctly.
After doing a search, and finding this topic, I checked again.

My spring in upside down!
So, do you think the guide I used was wrong? Not exactly.

Well, I can no longer just push the pin out with my finger, so I'm betting that solved the problem.

Once more, Arfcom comes through!
Link Posted: 4/16/2007 10:45:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#36]
I have in my spare parts kit those anti-walking pins, I bought from Bushmaster I haven't had the need to try them yet so I cant report, but they look like this:

Edited by Dano523:

Do not use Loctite on the FCG pins.  Short of the KNS units that have fixed pins for structural supporting (still not sold on this idea of the spring rubbing on the fixed pins), the pins should rotate with the hammer and trigger.  The reason for this is the hammer pin is retained by the inner J spring fixed in the hammer, and the trigger pin by the hammer legs, which are in motion as well as the hammer cocks/uncocks.

If you have problems with the hammer spring leg not retaining the trigger pin when installed correctly, then either the annular groove of the pin is a tad narrow for the spring legs (solved by thinning down the leg where it ride in the annular groove), or the hammer spring has been tweaked past the coils, and no longer rides in the annular groove when the hammer is in the cocked position.
Link Posted: 12/8/2007 1:21:59 PM EDT
[#37]
GET A SET OF ANTI WALKING PIN'S
Link Posted: 4/22/2008 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#38]
JUST A SIDE NOTE FOR EVERY ONE. ALL WAYS KEEP THEM BLACK TOY'S CLEAN
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#39]

The pins shouldnt turn,and if you use the correct parts ,put together properly they will stay put. There is no reason to spend money on the latest wizbang gizmos.
Regroup,inspect the parts,pins,jsprings etc..After its all together properly and you felt the pins snap into the hammer,springs the right way,,,,you can use a small drip of blue non permanent loc tite on the pin ends,,,parts need to be clean and free of oil.  we used to do that on hard use machine guns..   ive never had pins move,,,did have one break at a bad time once in the early 70s.      good luck have fun     brad
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#40]
sometimes the C channel raises the spring leg up enough to allow the pins to walk out, you can use a hacksaw blade to cut a little deeper into the c channel and then the leg will rest into the pin groove.  Then again make sure the springs are in correct.  The other problem that can happen is when you bend the spring leg a little to give a lighter trigger pull, it changes the geometry just enough to allow the pins to walk, the fix is again to make a little groove with a saw or dremel to allow the leg to sit lower in the c channel when the trigger is pulled.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for this topic, I had put my hammer spring in backwards, and it caused misfires and walking trigger pins.

+1
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#43]
You can do either. There are variances from manufacturer to manufactuer and even reciever to reciever in hole sizes. If you invested in a high speed trigger group that you like, anti-walk pins are the best fix. In the army pin holes sometimes get augered out as a result of weapon abuse by the untrained. The army solution is to punish the offender and replace the weapon, the old reiever is then coded out (destroyed). I have done unauthrized repairs on army guns using anti-walk pins and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 10/31/2008 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Either a misrouted hammer spring leg or undersize pins. Fix the spring and/or put in anti-walk pins. The J pins are pretty reliable, I have only seen 1 malfunction, it was on one of my guns after 10,000 rounds and it fell out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2008 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks guys.  I was having the same "trigger pin walk" issue.  Sure enough, compared my hammer spring with Dano's pics and mine was in wrong.  This also explains why I had two miss fires on a single box of PMC (hammer wasn't hittin' hard enough).

Flipped the spring and now the hammer strikes with authority and the trigger pin seems secure.  Haven't test fired yet, but I'm sure there will be improvement.

I'm an "old" noob.  Just bought a personal AR after not firing one in nearly 30 years (was in the AF, so just shot enough to qualify annually).  When I started to tear it down for clean and lube, I was amazed how much started to come back to me about field stripping...

Anyway, thanks again.  This thread saved me a trip to the gun shop!!!

Link Posted: 12/5/2008 1:40:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/29/2008 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread fixed my light strike and pin walking problems. I had the hammer spring in incorrectly.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/12/2009 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By xcelr8n:
This thread fixed my light strike and pin walking problems. I had the hammer spring in incorrectly.

Thanks!

+1 same with me. Bought a new assembled lower (EA lower with Stag LPK) & had this exact problem out of a 6.8 upper. Thanks so much for fixing my problem!

Link Posted: 3/1/2009 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Great thread...I just fixed 3 ar's that i built with the hammer spring under, not on the the trigger pin.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 8:58:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#50]
Hi guys i think i have a question related to this topic......
My friend just bought an RRA AR-15 rifle...... he went to shoot it and when he tried to fire the rifle just clicked and when he pulled the bullet out the firing pin hit the primer but just left a dent and didnt fire... he tried this multiple times with the same effect...could there be something wrong with his firing pin? I am not too new to the AR-15/M-16 style rifle, i own a "M4" style Colt AR-15 H-BAR....

Instead of chasing the problem down in this thread, best sugestion is to start a new topic on the specific problem, and we can attack it there.  Where this helps is if someone else down the road runs into the same problem you are having, the solution is often quick, and saves them from having to read page after page in search of an answer.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top