Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2013 4:27:58 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a shop in NC set up for an 80% build party on a CNC?  I know I can do it on a small mill and drill press but rather stick my 80% in a CNC. California’s full of shops that do CNC build parties but the east coast seems to be lacking.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Im in Va, and have the jig and desire to do the same thing.

Maybe I should buy a mill and hold a party.......
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have access to a mill just not a CNC. I have had these 80% lowers for a while and just have never done anything with them. Did some 80% several years ago but sold the jig.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a plane ticket and come to darksoultactical.com in San Jose, CA.   $60.00, 8.5 minutes and here's what you go home with.  Beautiful.

Link Posted: 2/7/2013 3:30:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I can just see the TSA finding the lower in your luggage and the sending you to Hilda "Huge Hands" Rumpspreader for your cavity search. Lol

I would be interested in an NC build party too.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 3:37:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I live in the charlotte area and I know of 5 people willing to join that party.I wish I knew someone with a CNC
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 4:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Come to Detroit! Everyone here has a CNC mill it seems.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I want in as well...
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 6:25:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, a semi-related question...  Once you're done, can you duracoat/cerakote right away, or do you
have to anodize?
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I live in the charlotte area and I know of 5 people willing to join that party.I wish I knew someone with a CNC

Make that 6 people
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#10]
One problem which may not be a problem for someone is I don’t know what it takes to do this on a CNC mill. I have seen lots of post showing the building of an 80% lowers but don’t know what it would take to set up a machine for the process.

1.Is it as simple as entering a CNC program?
2.I assume it needs to be in a jig and that is what creates a starting point for the mill?
3.If the lowers were the same type that fit in a jig but from different vendors would one program work?
4.Would a shop be able to easily  set up a program if you could provide one or is there a lot of tweaking and testing on the part of a shop with a CNC?
5.Is it reasonable not considering cost for a shop that has not done this to set up one of their machines to provide the service or do the places you can currently get it done set up because they started out with that intention? I hope that made sense?

This is evidently something that is fairly common on the west coast but not on the east. My limitation is I don’t have the knowledge base to discuss the possibility of contracting with a shop to do a build part. On top of that is the convincing them they are not doing anything wrong.

Don’t think I haven’t thought about flying to CA to do the lowers. I always wanted to see what it looks like to live in gun hell. Also Ithey say some parts of CA are a beautiful place to visit.   Just Kidding
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get a plane ticket and come to darksoultactical.com in San Jose, CA.   $60.00, 8.5 minutes and here's what you go home with.  Beautiful.

Thier website states only CA residents
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I am in charlotte I have a Jet mill. not a cnc, but once you set it up. You could knock a bunch out in reasonable time.

I am trying to get my garage all configured and the tools set-up. I probably would not have everything ready till mid march though.
Heck I almost forgot, I do have a huge cnc router table that could make these from block of aluminum.
I just have not had much time to get everything set up just yet.
My friend has been buggin me to get my $hit together to do some 80's.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 3:29:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Is that an invitation?
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
+1...im in
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]
You suppuration the cnc and ill bring a machinist.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey guys, I didn't know there would be much interest in this.  I have the CNC, the program and the 80% ers.  I am in the jacksonville area.  How many poeple would actually come and what kinda time frame you looking at.  I am set up with everything needed as this is kinda what I do.  Not pushing a product here as I am not a vender but do a search and find out on your own.  Give me some ideas of what your looking for and I can make it happen.

Joshua
TR-Enabling
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Well we're at it, anyone in Maine do these build parties as well ?  

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I didn't know there would be much interest in this.  I have the CNC, the program and the 80% ers.  I am in the jacksonville area.  How many poeple would actually come and what kinda time frame you looking at.  I am set up with everything needed as this is kinda what I do.  Not pushing a product here as I am not a vender but do a search and find out on your own.  Give me some ideas of what your looking for and I can make it happen.

Joshua
TR-Enabling

I'd definitely be interested
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Joshua
TR-Enabling

Joshua,

Thanks for the input. When I started this thread a couple of days ago I sent you an email through your site about if you would be interested in a build party. I was hoping for somene like you to chime in.
I have been noticing for a while quite a few people posting about build parties on the east coast/ NC. Your site and services look pretty cool. Would you mind if I gave you a call and we discuss options? Perhaps we can get a group together. I will be leaving to go the NWTF national convention next Wednesday so let me know what would be convenient for you.

And I am in for several.

Bryan Perry
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Josh I have a few lowers on order with you and I would be willing to take a drive down to finish them in your shop. My wife and I could use it as a weekend away trip and get my lowers done. :) That would be cool. Hell might even buy a couple of more while I am down there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joshua
TR-Enabling

I'd definitely be interested

I would probably be down for this. I know of a few people that may want in as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Also, a semi-related question...  Once you're done, can you duracoat/cerakote right away, or do you
have to anodize?

Anodizing is not requred.  I sandblast the completed 100% lowers then coat them directly with Norrell's Thermo-Cured Moly Resin.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm right outside of Myrtle Beach. Provided I could make it on that date, I would be down as well!
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joshua
TR-Enabling

Joshua,

Thanks for the input. When I started this thread a couple of days ago I sent you an email through your site about if you would be interested in a build party. I was hoping for somene like you to chime in.
I have been noticing for a while quite a few people posting about build parties on the east coast/ NC. Your site and services look pretty cool. Would you mind if I gave you a call and we discuss options? Perhaps we can get a group together. I will be leaving to go the NWTF national convention next Wednesday so let me know what would be convenient for you.

And I am in for several.

Bryan Perry

Bryan I got your email I work 10pm to 10 am and I have not replied yet,  I call you tomorrow.  To all that is interested I am going to work something out with Bryan and we can try and set some dates.  If you can't make it on the dates I can work with you individually.  Feel to email me at [email protected] so we can schedule something.  

Joshua
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:38:21 AM EDT
[#25]
I am located In northern california and we hold build parties on a regular basis if any one ever wants to make it out here.
We have had a few guys fly in from other states to attend and none of them have ever had a problem getting back home with their lowers, they just leave them disassembled and throw them in their regular luggage.
If anyone knows anyone with a cnc or needs a little info on how to get set up or actually machine one of these out I am more than willing to answer any questions or concerns we have done several hundred and not have one problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Joshua
TR-Enabling

Joshua,

And I am in for several.

Bryan Perry

Bryan I got your email I work 10pm to 10 am and I have not replied yet,  I call you tomorrow.  To all that is interested I am going to work something out with Bryan and we can try and set some dates.  If you can't make it on the dates I can work with you individually.  Feel to email me at [email protected] so we can schedule something.  

Joshua

Josha,

Sounds great and thanks. Hopefully we can get something going.  Figured we would get together sooner or later. I am happy to help with whatever works for you.

Bryan
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm in for 1 or 2.  I am in Wilson, so Jax is no problem.  Let me know what date.

Thanks so much for this.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top