Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/5/2013 11:23:21 AM EDT
I want to replace my 4 lowers with 80% ones. I understand I need a drill press/mill and bits to complete it. What is the cheapest machine to do this? I see the $500  Harbor Freight mill in another recent thread but I would rather find something cheaper if possible as I am only going to use it 4 times and sell it. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a drill press of of Craigslist or garage sale and the correct drill bits for the lower. CNCguns.com for info. The forum there is good with a how to on that site as well. Justin also makes jigs. List the jig up for sale in the EE when you are done with it to get some of your money back.

Hardest part is finding the 80% lowers. Do you already have them? If not, you may be waiting a while to get any in. I'm not sure if you're looking to turn a profit on these, but by the time the 80% lowers are in stock, so will all of the built lowers at venders.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Also you may find in your local area either someone that has the tools to do this or ive seen build parties as well...

If you were up here I'd say stop out...

Many people on this forum either have access to or outright own milling machines...

I got my old milling machine FREE many years ago...

YMMV
Bret
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have the 80% lowers yet but I am going to grab them when I see them. I have been watching craigslist for a used one with no luck. I figured if I could pick up a new HF mill cheap then I could sell it easier. I just don't know which cheap one would do the job.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are careful, you could use a drill press with an X-Y table.
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#5]
"Cheapest way"

Homemade plywood drilling jig, using a stripped lower to make.
Standard drill bits to remove as much material as possible.
Dremel to clean it up
Link Posted: 1/5/2013 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#6]
If you use end mills where needed and a x,y table with your drill press it will work perfect when drilling fire control. You will have no clean up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you are careful, you could use a drill press with an X-Y table.

+1  

I have finished several on my D.P. with a 2-axis slide vise.  Go very slow and take very small cuts.  A D.P. is not as rigid as a mill and the cutter may chatter if you take too deep cuts.

Another option is find a "build party" in your area and pay the $60 to use someone's milling center.  Done in 8.5 minutes and perfect CNC cuts, drilled, and reamed holes.  I just finished this one at darksoultactical.com.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
That looks Really nice the way you have your trigger guard. Did you buy an 80% and if so, where did you get it? Did you machine it from bar stock?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
It is an 80% Quentin-Laser lower purchased directly from them.  I added the lightening holes in the trigger guard and the trigger take-up adjustment screw.
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It is an 80% Quentin-Laser lower purchased directly from them.  I added the lightening holes in the trigger guard and the trigger take-up adjustment screw.

What cross slide vise are you using?
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What cross slide vise are you using?

This one.  Inexpensive yet pretty solid with adjustable ways.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0E3-0001-00002
Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I don't have the 80% lowers yet but I am going to grab them when I see them. I have been watching craigslist for a used one with no luck. I figured if I could pick up a new HF mill cheap then I could sell it easier. I just don't know which cheap one would do the job.

good luck with that. they are permantly sold out and when they do show up they are over $300 last I saw.

Link Posted: 1/6/2013 2:30:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Cool. Thanks. In looking at this Westward for small projects.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top