Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2012 5:17:26 AM EDT
I'm working on my first build. There are so many options of brands and prices. My question is, which parts are fine buying the least expensive available, and which parts should I stick to "name brands"?

I'm working on 2 guns, a carbine for home protection and a rifle for longer range accuracy.

Thanks in advance for your advice. This site is great and I already have learned a lot from just reading.
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Look on AIM Surplus you have alot of "name brand parts" at good prices. I find alot of the parts are of equal quality but not of equal price. I deal mainly with Spike's tactical for their prices, quality and customer service. Thing to remember is every company will have a lemon from time to time due to mass production. That is where the customer service comes in. I have built three rifles with Spike's and haven't had a single problem.

For furniture Magpul is a good source.

Also check the WE for some good deals time to time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 5:55:32 AM EDT
[#2]
While most of the Industry Partners listed at the top and bottom of this page are gtg there are still a few dogs included.

If your not sure about a purchase just inquire here first. Feedback is almost immediate and can save you money and hassles.

Most members are very vocal about their good experiences and even more so about their bad.
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm working on my first build. There are so many options of brands and prices. My question is, which parts are fine buying the least expensive available, and which parts should I stick to "name brands"?

I'm working on 2 guns, a carbine for home protection and a rifle for longer range accuracy.

Thanks in advance for your advice. This site is great and I already have learned a lot from just reading.

For the most part stripped uppers and lowers are the same. Just don't buy a plastic lower or something funky like that. The type of finish is the main thing that can differ with uppers & lowers.

Lower parts kits are pretty much standard from what I understand. There are some fancy lower parts kits, but any lower parts kit will work. The trigger is where most differences are. There are different types of triggers to enhance accuracy for longer range shooting. Most agree that a good trigger is worthwhile ... or at least eventually upgrading to.

I never went crazy on BCGs. Standard BCGs have worked fine for me so far.

The barrel is likely the most important part of the weapon when it comes to accuracy. It wouldn't hurt to get a decent barrel.

Link Posted: 3/3/2012 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the feedback.  This is why I asked.

I did pick up a couple Armalite lower receivers today to get started. Anxious to get the rest of the parts and get started now.
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Armalite is Very GTG.  Palmetto is probably the best place to go for cheap prices. There stuff is all GTG
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top