Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2012 5:34:06 AM EDT
I'm building an A2 and need to install a flash hider. I plan to use a crush washer and A2 bird cage.  I read the stickies and tried searching with no luck.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:46:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Crush washer goes cup side toward the FH,

Turn FH till it's hand tight, tighten 1/4 turn with wrench, back it of, tighten down 1/4 turn, back it off, repeat until it's timed

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Turn FH till it's hand tight, tighten 1/4 turn with wrench, back it of, tighten down 1/4 turn, back it off, repeat until it's timed

What?  This method described is not recommended (see the next paragraph or the video).

1)  Follow the manufacturers directions if not an A1/A2 FH
2)  Agree - Crush washer goes cup side toward the muzzle.
3)  A1/A2 FH:  Hand tighten the FH, put wrench on and tighten at least 90 degrees and no more than 460 degrees to get the proper timing.  
4)  There is no need to tighten/loosen and such - There is no recommended torque setting for the crush washer.  
5)  The crush washer is designed to "crush" , and it will not damage the barrel or the FH as long as you do not tighten beyond 460 degrees.   Video

If you are looking for PROS and CONS of each:
Peel Washers are not fun to time.  If you have patience, then they work fine.  There is a torque range, and you have to peel off the shims that are lacquered together to with a razor blade to get it perfect.  Crush washer is easy, put it on, tighten to time it - EASY.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#3]
^ +1
Also in case you were wondering the timing refers to the position of the FH/ FS. With an A2 birdcage that means no openings on the bottom. Openings are ~8 o'clock to 4 o'clock.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yup, use plenty of grease on all surfaces and final torque to about 20 ft-lbs
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yup, use plenty of grease on all surfaces and final torque to about 20 ft-lbs

You bet 15-20 ft pds is correct for a PEEL washer.  Crush washer has no torque spec.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Noticed this thread with a similar title so I figured I would throw my question in here.  

I installed a Battlecomp 2.0 on AR and timed it so the bottom was a little past 7 o clock.  When shooting from a bi pod on a bench the rifle jumps to the left and I have to reacquire the target by moving to the right.  Are muzzle devices supposed to be timed exactly at 6 o clock bottom.  I thought timing it a bit past that would be useful for off hand shooting and didn't think the effects would be that great on a bench.  Maybe I'm not holding the rifle firm enough or not loadng the bipod?
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Battlecomp 2.0 is supposed to be timed with the logo at 6 o'clock position.

A2 is supposed to be timed with no holes on the bottom.  (probably centered) googled it and thats what I got....
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks!  I'll retime it to six for the next time I bring it out.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top