Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2011 3:45:30 PM EDT
I've been lurking here since 2007ish, recently decided to get an account. When I was collecting parts for my first build, I really liked seeing threads where people listed their components and why they chose them. I liked being able to see what a certain combination of parts looks like, and how they work together. I figured I'd return the favor, and also invite feedback about my gun.
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7586/rifleonbag1.jpg
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5545/riflefrontbandw.jpg
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/5818/fullrifle1.jpg
http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/8494/sights1.jpg

Arizona Armory billet upper and lower reciever - I chose Arizona Armory because I'm from Arizona, and I believe strongly in supporting local manufacturing. Jeff at AA gave me a great price on everything, and was fantastic to deal with. I don't think many people pass over some great local builders because they never look past Colt, BCM, etc.

Magpul MOE stock and pistol grip - Magpul has great value for the money. These parts are solid, and were relatively cheap. My next build will probably have a A5 stock, just to be different.

Troy TRX Extreme VTAC 11" Rail - I wanted this to be a lightweight rifle, and don't plan on hanging too much stuff off it. I picked the VTAC because I think it feels better than the standard TRX. The standard version is lighter and has a very nice QD socket add-on made by IWC though.

Daniel Defense 14.5" Barrel with AAC Brakeout permanently attached - I think I paid too much for both of these parts, at the time I figured there probably was a reason nobody can keep them in stock. Then again, most places are having trouble keeping barrels, bolts, etc in stock. There is a suppressor in this rifle's future, probably a AAC Mini4.

Palmetto State Armory Bolt Carrier Group and lower parts kit - Everything was in spec, bolt is MP and HP tested, PSA makes good parts for great prices.

Troy HK style front and folding rear sights - Nothing special, these were 25% off. I prefer the HK front sight for faster sight alignment, and it looks good. I put a .34 KNS front sight post in for better accuracy. I'm going to paint the front sight neon red because a black sight is hard to see on a black paper target.

I Kick Hippies sling mount plate - Innovative product, and supporting small boutique suppliers is good for our hobby. Doesn't make noise like the Magpul version.

IWC front sling mount - Attaches a sling without having to add a rail section.

JP yellow trigger springs - Trigger feels great after I added these and some moly grease. I wanted to put a high dollar trigger in it, but after testing a Wilson trigger at the local shop, I can't see paying $250 for a slight improvement in feel. Call me an unrefined philistine, but I don't see the value in $200+ triggers. Haven't tried very many, maybe something out there can change my mind.

KNS anti-rotation pins - Pointless, but they look cool. Not sure why I bought these...

VTAC sling - The only thing on this rifle I regret buying. I would much rather have a completely plain $12 sling. There's nothing wrong with the VTAC sling, but it doesn't feel quite right.

Receiver and rail cerakoted foliage green by Arizona Armory - I wanted a unique rifle, coating it makes it uniquely mine. I went with foliage green because Flat Dark Earth is played out and the sure sign of a tacticool mall ninja.  I think that green would be a more effective camouflage for anyplace I'm likely to take this rifle. (North America) Now, if I was building a rifle for Iraq... it wouldn't matter because everything there ends up looking FDE lol.

Comments? Questions?
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice looking rifle, very clean look to it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
that is one fine rifle. Good luck with it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful rifle.

You and I are of similar build temperaments.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh my, very, very, sexy! I like it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Very clean looking rifle.  Nice to see a foilage green get done.  My current build is OD green but your color of choice is next on my list––-which keeps getting bigger for some reason..  Again nice job  
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you all for the compliments

No comments on my parts selection? That's strange, this is arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thank you all for the compliments

No comments on my parts selection? That's strange, this is arfcom.

It looks great, you aren't giving us much to bitch about. At least throw a UTG scope on there!

A couple of questions, why did you put the sling adapter on the bottom instead of the side? Planning any optic or light? Can you give me an idea of how much the rifle refinishing cost you? I'm in AZ and am thinking about getting an AR finished.

ETA: Any idea how much it weighs? What exactly don't you like about the sling? I have a Blue Force Gear VCAS, which is similar and I think the quick adjust is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Good looking rifle, but doesn't the sling try to flip the rifle upside down with the sling attached like that.

I'm really digging the foliage scheme, it's very subdued but still sets the rifle off.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:23:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It looks great, you aren't giving us much to bitch about. At least throw a UTG scope on there!

A couple of questions, why did you put the sling adapter on the bottom instead of the side? Planning any optic or light? Can you give me an idea of how much the rifle refinishing cost you? I'm in AZ and am thinking about getting an AR finished.

ETA: Any idea how much it weighs? What exactly don't you like about the sling? I have a Blue Force Gear VCAS, which is similar and I think the quick adjust is the greatest thing since sliced bread!

I'm in the market for a scope, probably a 1-4x with illumination. It's hard to cough up $500+ for a scope though, I have other guns on my wish list I could buy with that money.

Call Jeff about refinishing, he gave me a good deal, so I don't want to put the price out there. It was the price of doing a handgun slide at other places.

No idea how much it weighs, but it's heavier than I thought it'd be. Billet parts are kinda heavy. Balances perfectly with the lightweight barrel and handguard though.

As for the sling location, I wasn't sure where to put it, but I chose it's location for two reasons. Putting it on the bottom lets me switch hands easily, and I use it a hand stop. It slings across the back well too. As for why I don't like the sling, it works fine, but it feels... clunky? My rifle is smooth, slick, light, and the sling is thick, overbuilt, and large. It works as designed, and will never ever break, but I don't like it. Might try to roll my own when my wife gets her sewing machine...
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 5:35:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I hear you on the optic dilemma.

The sling, if you're set on a two-point, perhaps removing the extra buckles and length of the one you have
will trim off the bulky feel you have going right now.  Or maybe a standard military type, no frills would suit you better?

I've been looking at slings a lot lately and am leaning towards a single-point system with no BS 'frills' or possibly a
home brewed concoction of my own based on a military standard or sorts.  I've not seen a lot on the market that isn't
gimmicky, 'WTF?' or will do what I want it to out of the package.

Are you running a can? If so, is it also matched color and how is the cerakote holding up to the heat? NVM - re-read and see the
can is in the future.  :)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top