Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2011 3:13:16 PM EDT
I asked about Del-ton uppers and several people recommended PSA over Del-ton.  Why, may I be so humble as to ask, is this the case.  What is better about them?
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both. I'm a paper shooter and not a people shooter. They both run 100% all the time and never an issue with either. I always win, paper always loses.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I cannot comment on delton as I do not have one but my PSA has been flawless and would recommend them.  With that sais, PSA has a lot of the same specs that the higher end makers have without the extra premium price.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I cannot comment on delton as I do not have one but my PSA has been flawless and would recommend them.  With that sais, PSA has a lot of the same specs that the higher end makers have without the extra premium price.

^That! While Delton is good and originally to upper I planned on going with I ended up getting the PSA upper. Why? There is a list online called the M4 chart. It goes over all of the items on an ar-15 that are desirable. 1:7 twist, m4 feed ramps, air-gauged, chrome-lined, HPT (High pressure Tested), MPI (Magnetic Particle Tested), etc. The great thing that you will find is that PSA offers ALL OF IT. Their stuff is top shelf quality without the price. The Delton I was looking at not only didn't have chrome lining or HPT but it was 1:9 twist which is great for 50-62gr bullets but not 62-80. 1:7 is good with 50-62 and Excellent with 62-80. The real killer was that they were quoting like a month+ for delivery on their website and PSA will have it custom built and delivered (mine arrived in exactly 7 days) in a little more than a week. They were also ONLY $20 more expensive. Both are good parts but if you want something that will hold up during a SHTF scenario I'd pay the extra $20.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cannot comment on delton as I do not have one but my PSA has been flawless and would recommend them. With that sais, PSA has a lot of the same specs that the higher end makers have without the extra premium price.

^That! While Delton is good and originally to upper I planned on going with I ended up getting the PSA upper. Why? There is a list online called the M4 chart. It goes over all of the items on an ar-15 that are desirable. 1:7 twist, m4 feed ramps, air-gauged, chrome-lined, HPT (High pressure Tested), MPI (Magnetic Particle Tested), etc. The great thing that you will find is that PSA offers ALL OF IT. Their stuff is top shelf quality without the price. The Delton I was looking at not only didn't have chrome lining or HPT but it was 1:9 twist which is great for 50-62gr bullets but not 62-80. 1:7 is good with 50-62 and Excellent with 62-80. The real killer was that they were quoting like a month+ for delivery on their website and PSA will have it custom built and delivered (mine arrived in exactly 7 days) in a little more than a week. They were also ONLY $20 more expensive. Both are good parts but if you want something that will hold up during a SHTF scenario I'd pay the extra $20.

These are the Specs for the Del Ton Ar 15 and M-16 Bolt Assemblies direct from the DTI site.

• Phosphated 8620 Steel Carrier Assembly

• Carpenter 158 Bolt HPT/MPI

• Heat Treated and Plated

• Mil-Spec

• Chrome Lined Carrier Interior

• Carrier Key - Chrome Lined, attached with Grade 8 Screws and Stake

You can get Del Ton uppers with or without M-4 feed ramps and order different barrels. Depending on the order you could have a wait with Del Ton. There are plenty on these forums that would say your extra $20 just isn't enough. PSA, like Del Ton a couple years ago, just had a bolt issue. There are a couple threads about PSA bolt problems. PSA is taking care of the situation. What is the etc.?

Link Posted: 9/3/2011 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cannot comment on delton as I do not have one but my PSA has been flawless and would recommend them. With that sais, PSA has a lot of the same specs that the higher end makers have without the extra premium price.

These are the Specs for the Del Ton Ar 15 and M-16 Bolt Assemblies direct from the DTI site.

• Phosphated 8620 Steel Carrier Assembly

• Carpenter 158 Bolt HPT/MPI

• Heat Treated and Plated

• Mil-Spec

• Chrome Lined Carrier Interior

• Carrier Key - Chrome Lined, attached with Grade 8 Screws and Stake

You can get Del Ton uppers with or without M-4 feed ramps and order different barrels. Depending on the order you could have a wait with Del Ton. There are plenty on these forums that would say your extra $20 just isn't enough. PSA, like Del Ton a couple years ago, just had a bolt issue. There are a couple threads about PSA bolt problems. PSA is taking care of the situation. What is the etc.?

????????????????

Link Posted: 9/4/2011 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Which is better a Colt M-i6A2 upper or an FN M-16A2 upper?

The only difference between a Del-Ton upper and a PSA upper is which one is on sale and is it available?

Quality wise they are pretty equal.

Oh yeah I forgot, PSA is the "flavor of the month"  here on ARFCOM at present.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Which is better a Colt M-i6A2 upper or an FN M-16A2 upper?

The only difference between a Del-Ton upper and a PSA upper is which one is on sale and is it available?

Quality wise they are pretty equal.

Oh yeah I forgot, PSA is the "flavor of the month"  here on ARFCOM at present.

Exactly. I've got nothing against PSA and have ordered 3 of their awesome priced lowers to have on hand. It's great to have choices at any price point. Especially when you don't have to break open the piggy bank for a serviceable rifle.

As far as the other question. I've never used an FN upper receiver. I heard Colt had gone down hill on their QC but are picking it back up since there are so many companies out there making ARs.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have played with both, both are GTG to me...I do run more DTI uppers though...just how it worked out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2011 8:04:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have played with both, both are GTG to me...I do run more DTI uppers though...just how it worked out.

I did shoot a message to PSA about dealer pricing. Waiting on the reply. DTI does have Dealer Pricing for individual FFLs.

Link Posted: 9/5/2011 6:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
i have a PSA premium BCG. it runs flawlessly. One issue doesn't make a trend. I have bought a couple of grand worth of PSA brand parts with NO issues.

I would rather go with PSA over DTI because of long lead times. It may be different with small parts, but DTI is known for long lead times.  PSA can have slow shipping times during their sales.

Nothing wrong with DTI. I know DTI owners that are very happy. For me it comes down to the lead time between the 2.

EDIT: I buy from PSA, DTI, Aim surplus, Bravo, DSG, primary arms, etc. Just like everyone else. I dont care about flavor of the month. I go with the best price as long as it is in stock and in spec. Right now, that is PSA.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 2:36:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i have a PSA premium BCG. it runs flawlessly. One issue doesn't make a trend. I have bought a couple of grand worth of PSA brand parts with NO issues.

I would rather go with PSA over DTI because of long lead times. It may be different with small parts, but DTI is known for long lead times.  PSA can have slow shipping times during their sales.

Nothing wrong with DTI. I know DTI owners that are very happy. For me it comes down to the lead time between the 2.

EDIT: I buy from PSA, DTI, Aim surplus, Bravo, DSG, primary arms, etc. Just like everyone else. I dont care about flavor of the month. I go with the best price as long as it is in stock and in spec. Right now, that is PSA.

gotigers, you just saved me a lot of typing. I couldn't have stated it any better!
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 3:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]
PSA>Del-Ton specs wise, but you prolly wont be able to discern the difference performance wise.
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
PSA>Del-Ton specs wise, but you prolly wont be able to discern the difference performance wise.

Which Specs?

Edit:

Posted: 8/26/2011 4:26:38 PM EDT                                                                                                                   [Last Edit: 8/26/2011 4:30:44 PM EDT by Del-Ton]

We've found there's a little bit of misconception about our products. People think because we haven't raised our prices, then we're not doing the "upgrades". Well, we'd like to let everyone know that we've upgraded our standards!! These are the things we are now doing to EVERY rifle (or associated part) that leaves here....

- All flat tops have the extended M4 feed ramps
- All bolts are MP/HP tested
- If you order an upper or rifle with a flat top, it will have an F Marked front sight base
- Our carriers are properly staked, and sealed
- All barrels are parkarized under the gas block
- We only use taper pins on our barrels
- All barrels are made of Chrome Moly Vanadium. CMV is an upgrade from the standard chrome moly. We also have the option to chrome line the barrels, or not, and you can chose a 1x7 twist or a 1x9 twist on most profiles.
We offer all of these options to you, as the consumer, so you can chose what you'd like. We don't tell you the options, we let you decide exactly what you'd like.
- As always, each and every upper or rifle that leaves here has been test fired, not a single one leaves the place without having that done

Hopefully this clears things up a little. Please let us know if you ever have any questions!

M-4 Version

Barrel:
Chrome Moly Vanadium
M4 Feed Ramps
16" Length
1x9 Twist
A2 Flash Hider
Manganese Phosphated
Phosphated under Front Sight Base
Taper Pins on A2 Front Sight Base
Threaded Muzzle
M4 Profile

Chamber:
5.56 X 45 mm

Bolt And Carrier:
Phosphated 8620 Steel Carrier Assembly
Carpenter 158 Bolt HPT/MPI Tested
Heat Treated and Plated
Mil-Spec
Chrome Lined Carrier Interior
Carrier Key - chrome lined, attached with Grade 8 Screws
Properly Staked & Sealed Gas Key
Handguards:
Carbine Length
Aluminum Delta Ring
Single Heat Shield

Upper Receiver:
Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
A3 Flat Top With M4 Feed Ramps
Hard Coat Anodized
Mil-Spec
Ejection Port Cover and Round Forward Assist
Right Hand Ejection
Bore's surface is coated with dry film lube, over the anodized surface

Lower Receiver:
Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
Hard Coat Anodized
Mil-Spec
Aluminum Triggerguard
Semi-Auto
Aluminum Mag Catch Button
Buttstock:
M4 6 Position
Reinforced Fiber
Commercial Sized Tube
Weight:
6.4 lbs Empty
Length:
36.375" Fully Extended
32.625 Collapsed
Accessories:
Hard Case
2 - 30rd Mags
Sling
Cleaning Kit
Link Posted: 9/5/2011 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't think we need to argue which one is better - Just know that either is a solid choice for the money.  Anyone that argues probably hasn't played with their products or have buyers remorse over paying $100-$150 for another name brand lower - More money doesn't mean best product.  

PSA flavor of the month?  OK, if Spikes, BCM, or any other company would play price wars...I would say they are the flavor of the month too.  PSA is smart because of the residual sales that come from playing these $49.99 lower games.  Cough up $30 on the lower, but move a lot more product since people like the bundle deals.  If the others would play, it would make a better world for all consumers.  If they don't play, their loss.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top