User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 11/4/2010 4:04:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet deal, I never heard of them.  I am in the hunt for a new upper.  I wonder if they are made by someone else reputable, anyone?  WOW, looking at their website, they do sound like they made them.  I'd be tempted to get one of these asap, since BCM just ran out of their blemished uppers before I had the funds to get one in time.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought some of the A2 blems and a few of the A3 blems, LAR makes in-spec products and sells them to MANY of the big names you would recognize, the cosmetic blemishes are hardly noticeable at all. Buy in confidence.

You will need to get on the waiting list for the A3 blem uppers:

Out of the many blem uppers bought, I only considered TWO of them blems.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sweet deal, I never heard of them.  I am in the hunt for a new upper.  I wonder if they are made by someone else reputable, anyone?  WOW, looking at their website, they do sound like they made them.  I'd be tempted to get one of these asap, since BCM just ran out of their blemished uppers before I had the funds to get one in time.

LAR is one of 4 true manufacturers who make parts for EVERYONE else. You never heard of them because they primarily do business with companies such as RRA, Bushmaster, Spikes, Colt, etc.

LAR Manufacturing has been machining AR15 and M16 Components for over 40 years.  Please navigate through all our current AR15 options.  LAR offers traditional A1, A2, A3 upper recievers and AR15 Lowers in our own Grizzly line.  LAR also is a contract manufacturer for some of the largest brand names in the industry. LAR has over 35,000 Square Feet to produce large quantities of uppers and lowers.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
They are "finish blems".  Machining is within spec, and they make good shooters.  So far, I've built 3 rifles based on them, they function great, everything fits.  Mine have spots in the anodizing in various spots, not noticeable unless you look close and really inspect them.  I build them to shoot, not stare at the finish.

The A2 blems are always available, the flat-tops blems are hardly ever available- -get them when you can!
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LAR is one of 4 true manufacturers who make parts for EVERYONE else. You never heard of them because they primarily do business with companies such as RRA, Bushmaster, Spikes, Colt, etc.

LAR Manufacturing has been machining AR15 and M16 Components for over 40 years.  Please navigate through all our current AR15 options.  LAR offers traditional A1, A2, A3 upper recievers and AR15 Lowers in our own Grizzly line.  LAR also is a contract manufacturer for some of the largest brand names in the industry. LAR has over 35,000 Square Feet to produce large quantities of uppers and lowers.

Incorrect.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#6]
How do I go about getting one?  I guess I have to call in the order.  Anyone know any other way?
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.

I beg to differ, as I am correct.

L M

LAR / MARTIN MARIETTA

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How do I go about getting one?  I guess I have to call in the order.  Anyone know any other way?

this.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.

Call Linda.

Linda
L.A.R. Manufacturing Inc.
XXXXXXXXXX, Utah  84088
Phone:  801-280-3505, Ext #10
Fax:  801-280-1972
Email:  [email protected]
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.

If not LAR, then someone else.  I don't believe much more than assembly happens under Colt's roof anymore.

ETA:  Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I know Colt makes its own barrels and machines its own lowers nd uppers.Any Bushmaster lower with a L prefix before the serial# is LAR.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 3:34:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I appreciate this post OP.  I will be calling and ordering a a2 upper and an a3 upper, both blemed, today.  Thats a sweet deal.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Crap they are only open Monday through Thursday according to their machine.  It'll have to wait until Monday.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 11:34:55 AM EDT
[#14]
No you won't, they're closed on Friday.  Already tried this morning
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Called and left a message.  We'll see if I get a call back Monday.  I can imagine she's busy.
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 3:23:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been to their facility.  They are just a few miles away from my place, near my favorite doughnut store...  They are the manufacture and do the machining and finishing for many of the large names in the industry.  While I was in their office, I was reading all sorts of "thank you" valued partner notes from many "manufactures", but primarily Bushmaster.  I wish I could remember some of the others, but its been a few years ago.  The "L" prefix on the Bushmaster lower is indeed a marking of LAR.

The Blem sales happen frequently and are a very good deal.
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#17]
This is a Tag.

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 5:47:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Just placed my order for a a2 blem and a a3 blem.  I think thats a sweet deal.  And I will have to store this companies website for later.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Just ordered two blem A3's.

Talked to Zach, he said they started with over 400 blems (all configs) and said that as of 12:30pm CST today, they only had 300 left!!!

Better Hurry!

Ruckus
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.

If not LAR, then someone else.  I don't believe much more than assembly happens under Colt's roof anymore.

ETA:  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Colt machines just about everything they make on the weapons system except for some pins, springs & plastic.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm kinda surprised.  I ordered this morning and they have already been shipped.  I hope there product is as good as their service.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm kinda surprised.  I ordered this morning and they have already been shipped.  I hope there product is as good as their service.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have really liked their product and service.  I live close enough, that in the past, they have let me choose out of the blemish box...
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Woo hooo , got one( A3)..
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Got my A3 order in today.

I posted in the "Upper parts kit???" thread that I need a newbie's list of upper reciever innards so I can put this together.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just ordered two blem A3's.

Talked to Zach, he said they started with over 400 blems (all configs) and said that as of 12:30pm CST today, they only had 300 left!!!

Better Hurry!

Yeah, Zac Rocks.  Ordered my A3 earlier, now I need to find some cheap FA and Dust Cover assemblies, anyone know where the best deals for these are?

Link Posted: 11/8/2010 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Are those they have available now and that you ordered with or without M4 cuts? I have been on the list for a couple of blem A3 uppers with NO M4 CUTS for several months now...Thanks....<><....:)
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Im gonna have to pick a few of these up. I really like these uppers.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
The a3's have m4 cuts the a2's do not.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks, I have purchased blem A3's w/o M4 cuts from them in the past and have been on the waiting list for more with no M4 cuts, I guess I'll have to just sit and wait for the A3's I need. Thanks for the response....<><....:)
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incorrect.

I beg to differ, as I am correct.

L M

LAR / MARTIN MARIETTA

http://i48.tinypic.com/2hxy6bp.jpg

LAR / Martin Marietta (Army Spares Contract) - Founded in 1968, LAR began manufacturing of M16 upper receivers for the Rock Island U.S. Armament Command.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 5:47:18 PM EDT
[#31]
No problem.
Quoted:
Thanks, I have purchased blem A3's w/o M4 cuts from them in the past and have been on the waiting list for more with no M4 cuts, I guess I'll have to just sit and wait for the A3's I need. Thanks for the response....<><....:)

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 2:46:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I just got 2 blem A3 M4 uppers.

The blemishes on the two I bought seem to be 2 separate issues:
1. very small "spots" in the anodizing on the upper rail and on the left side of the receiver.
2. some strange-ness in the brunton bump (you'll see what I mean in the pictures). It looks like the forgings were bad or there was a problem in the machining...

The finish on the uppers is the milspec type 2 hardcoat and is flawless besides the 2 above mentioned blemishes.

Best $48 I ever spent.

Link Posted: 11/9/2010 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#34]
How much was shipping?
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I just ordered one, hopefully it comes in soon.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
How much was shipping?

I picked it up in person. Not sure on shipping, sorry.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How much was shipping?

$12 to WV, I called right before I posted.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#38]
For 2 lowers to NC it was $12.
Link Posted: 11/9/2010 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#39]
LAR side charger pron.

Link Posted: 11/11/2010 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Just got off the phone with Zac, great guy!  Ordered an A3, excitement for first build +1  
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I had my wife call and order one for me. It will be waiting to become an 18" SPR when my tour is complete. This is one hell of a deal fellas.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Arfcom is killing me, I just shelled out for 3 stripped lowers
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine came today.

Looks perfect actually.

Went to put it on my lower....can't get the pins in.  Look at it really close....holes are off.  Rear hole is a little bit forward.  If I FORCE the pin in...it ALMOST makes it all the way across. Stops inside the lower.

Front...I can get the pin to go all the way through if the upper is tilted forward.  can't rotate it back. Not even if I force it at the risk of damaging/breaking my lower and/or the upper in the process.  

I'm not sure what I should do with this now.  I might try it on my Colt lower and see if it's my lower.  I had two of these lowers and the other took a brand new S&W M&P complete upper no problem.  I'm wondering if my blem was incorrectly drilled holes.
Link Posted: 11/11/2010 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#44]

What Scope?

and about this deal, im pissed that you guys found out they are closed friday... i guess a few more days to order the rest of the packages couldnt hurt!
Link Posted: 11/12/2010 2:29:25 AM EDT
[#45]
I think I would call them back about it.  Surely they wouldn't sell you one that will not even fit on a lower.
Quoted:
Mine came today.

Looks perfect actually.

Went to put it on my lower....can't get the pins in.  Look at it really close....holes are off.  Rear hole is a little bit forward.  If I FORCE the pin in...it ALMOST makes it all the way across. Stops inside the lower.

Front...I can get the pin to go all the way through if the upper is tilted forward.  can't rotate it back. Not even if I force it at the risk of damaging/breaking my lower and/or the upper in the process.  

I'm not sure what I should do with this now.  I might try it on my Colt lower and see if it's my lower.  I had two of these lowers and the other took a brand new S&W M&P complete upper no problem.  I'm wondering if my blem was incorrectly drilled holes.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 2:48:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What Scope?

and about this deal, im pissed that you guys found out they are closed friday... i guess a few more days to order the rest of the packages couldnt hurt!

It's a Bushnell 6500. It compares very favorably to my Nikon and Leupold.

Link Posted: 11/12/2010 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Uppers and lowers from two different makers sometimes don't go together well. It's a tolerance stack issue, and can happen even if all the parts are machined in house. What happens is that the pin holes are given a tolerance of +/- .015 of where they should be (according to the prints I've downloaded.) If one pinhole is on the short side to the left on one part, and the matching hole on the long side to the right, things miss up to .030.

The assembly department feeds this back to the machine shop, who keeps close tabs on where they want both to be, and tries to keep them lined up within .015 - which really makes the tolerance for each hole closer to .0075, and no plus or minus. They have to both be plus, or minus, not opposite.

Add in which end of the part you register as zero, and oops, overall length gets =/- .015, too. That has to be done from the same end by two different makers. If not, variations in length start creeping in, one pin hole matches up, the other doesn't.

The CNC process can be extremely precise, but the programs cutting speed and feed can actually distort the part or even the machines jaws because of the high pressures involved. Unlike a manually controlled feed, a machine can exert hundreds of pounds of pressure as the program hogs metal off at the highest possible speed for the finish desired. Time is money, a slower feed rate doesn't make quota.

When you get the list of exactly which part, which hole, and how to measure it down to a complete set of instructions, you have a Technical Data Package. Most of it is to tune the operating cycle so the weapon functions reliably, but that depends on good parts matching up and working together. At that point, with all the kinks worked out, it's not surprising someone like Colt would want to protect the information. It really is proprietary intellectual property - Bushmaster, HK and others can just go fish and figure it out for themselves. If Uncle Sam wants it, fine. Pay for it.

When you buy parts from different suppliers, you are the QC department and firearms engineer. Both parts are in specification, you have to deal with the fact there was zero cooperation or feedback between them. So, basically, you have to get a reamer and match them up. If you square the front of the upper to make it a true perpendicular to the bore axis, you will probably remove finish there, too. A factory would have checked to be in their tolerance window before anodizing, we don't get that privilege as cheaply buying a finished part.

That is the downside to a kitchen table gun, it can run with the best of them, but it takes more hand fitting and knowing what to do. We call it Lego, and that is about what some look like when done.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#48]
I actually had a chance to take some time and look at it.  I held it up to the light and the very back of it, the part closest to the stock, has a high point.  I can see daylight above and below this point.  So my thinking is if I flatten this out just a little bit I'll be good to go and that will move it back the slight amount I need it to.  

The rear pin goes in and ALMOST makes it all the way through but it has to be forced.

I put it on my Colt lower and the rear pin too some force to get it through but it went through, the front went in pretty much no problem.  Screw type front as well.  I just might want to do this on all of mine from now on too.  I like it.  Sidetrack.

So how would ARF recommend I go about removing the little bit that I need to without destroying this upper?  It's in perfect condition besides this slight blem.
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#49]
For those of you who have bought a blem.How much was the shipping?
Link Posted: 11/13/2010 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#50]
The uppers I have purchased from LAR/Grizzly in the past have been $12 shipping. For one or for 3, a flat $12 up to a certain number of uppers.....<><....:)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top