Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2008 9:30:35 AM EDT
I recently ordered a VLTOR MUR-1 from a member her through the EE.  

On a thread I read that older models were billett and current production are forged...might have his backwards.

Anyways, what are your opinions on strengths/weaknesses in either manufacturing process.  Is one stronger than the other or just a cheaper process.

Just peaked a curiosity, don't have a clue but I'm assuming the one I purchased is a newer one.

Link Posted: 10/3/2008 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The older MURs were extrusions.

They switched because a bunch of people thought that 6061 was inferior and 7075 was better.

But 7075 uppers still split wide open when a round KBs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can tell the differance in a forged upper and a billet upper as far as strenth ,you need to explain it to me .
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you can tell the differance in a forged upper and a billet upper as far as strenth ,you need to explain it to me .
A forged upper should be stronger because the blank it's machined from is forged.  Forging alters the crystalline structure of the metal, aligning the crystals and creating a much stronger product.

You'll note that high-strength aircraft parts are made from forgings, not just milled from billet.  There really is a difference.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I know all of that ,but for practical use in an AR you will never tell the differance in strenth . the barrel and bolt take all the stress. that said I don't own a billet upper ,and only 1 billet lower . I prefer the forged upper and lower and they are cheaper too.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A forged upper should be stronger because the blank it's machined from is forged.  Forging alters the crystalline structure of the metal, aligning the crystals and creating a much stronger product.

You'll note that high-strength aircraft parts are made from forgings, not just milled from billet.  There really is a difference.

I have cast 2024 parts on all my airplanes that are serviceable 50 years later. Also, how do you think they make the billets? How much stress does an AR upper deal with? Even 7075 fails with a KB...
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have cast 2024 parts on all my airplanes that are serviceable 50 years later. Also, how do you think they make the billets? How much stress does an AR upper deal with? Even 7075 fails with a KB...
Those cast parts are designed to be cast; AR uppers aren't.  And billets can be simply rolled to thickness...which is NOT the same as forging.
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Can anyone speak to the KB effects on billet vs forged?
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Both will come apart with KB.

Theory, forged should be stronger especially 7075-T6 because of the alignment of the aluminum molecular structure. BUT, with the amount of machining that takes place it removes most of the inner material from the solid forging. This means the aligning of the molecules means almost nothing as far as strength over billet.

Most airplane parts are larger and most do not have the center all hollowed out and are not made for shock like the shooting that a hand held gun is.

My 2 cents worth. Don't flame me...correct me, if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had 2 are uppers KABOOM on me and the bolt is driven into the carrier so fast that it splits it and the upper cracks and shatters outward. the bottom of both mags were blown out  like reverse funnels.
Both barrels were fime, the Heavy M4 Commando barrels
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had 2 are uppers KABOOM on me and the bolt is driven into the carrier so fast that it splits it and the upper cracks and shatters outward. the bottom of both mags were blown out  like reverse funnels.
Both barrels were fime, the Heavy M4 Commando barrels
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The bottom line is that a forging is stronger than a billet.    If it doesn't matter to you, or you feel a billet is strong enough, bully for you.

I like forged parts where I can have them, because I LIKE stronger parts.....bully for me.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top