Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2007 6:43:34 PM EDT
I bought a LMT Upper and a LMT lower last week. At first the difference in color between the upper and lower was not that pronounced. But now there is a big difference between the two. The upper is jet black, but the lower has kind of a purple tint to it. Is the typical of LMT? If not should I contact LMT?

This is my Upper.....

And this is the upper and lower, both LMT...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine was similar.  It didn't bother me though......it's just a hammer not a showpiece.  Bang it around a bit....throw it in the trunk with no case.....abuse it a little, then you really won't notice.

G
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw a thread like this on here a few weeks ago. Seems they had a run of lowers with nasty anodizing. I say send it back if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Krylon

Sean
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Barney would be proud.... Send back that nasty Purple-people-eater.

On a serious note... I have an LMT lower that is nice and black....Id send that back.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
How is LMT's customer sevice? I didn't buy direct from them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#6]
send it back or make your AR Camo
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Best.... If you don't like the lower,  give 'em a call and they will take care of you.

Customer service is pretty fantastic. Talk to Gene if I remember correctly. I sent in my upper and had a replacement within a week.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That  trigger guard is purple too. Does LMT install Magpul trigger guards on their lower receivers?

Link Posted: 4/14/2007 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Contact LMT's customer service, they're pretty good and they will take care of you and they usually does a great job with other members here before.

When I bought my LMT lower over a year ago, my delivery date was delayed by about 4 to 6 weeks because the batch of lowers which mine belonged was rejected for unacceptable finish quality at the factory and they had to return it to their finish supplier to be refinished.

It's partly LMT's fault and their finishing vendor, but maybe this slipped by the factory's inspection.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 7:43:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine looks like that.  The upper and lower never really matched in color, the upper was always blacker.  But that's OK, because it shoots great and I will be spraying it with Norrells this summer.  I just picked up another Defender lower that is more clearly black.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Should I stip the lower before sending it? I have alot of after market stuff on the lower. (trigger,stock,trigger guard,sling plate)
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#13]
The quote (part of it) below is from ArmaLite Operator's Manual

ArmaLite will not honor claims under the Limited Warranty which result from careless or improper handling, unauthorized adjustments or parts replacement, ...

I do not know if LMT has similar policy.
Since your trigger guard appears to be purple, LMT may claim that the rifle has been re-finished. You know ... these Magpul guards should be black.
I don't know what else I can tell you.  I think it's possible to have  the rifle custom re-anodized black if LMT refuses to do it.

Link Posted: 4/14/2007 10:19:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Uppers and Lowers don't get anodized together so most of time regardless of manufacturer you will wind up from a differently colored upper and lower. My LMT is like that, my Bushy is like that, my 6920 was like that, and so was my Armalite.

If you get perfect meshing uppers, you're lucky.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Should I stip the lower before sending it? I have alot of after market stuff on the lower. (trigger,stock,trigger guard,sling plate)

Yes you should put it back the way you got it from the dealer/ factory.

Before you send your lower back make sure you contact the LMT customer service so they could either e-mail or mail your return authorization number.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I spoke with Gene today at LMT. All I can say is, im NOT impressed. I Asked him if the color of the annodizing was normal and after a minute or two he replied "Not sure but I belive that's how they look". He also said that they would not refinish unless I wanted to pay for it, and even then he said he dosent know if it will look any better. Regardless, he seemed reluctant to fix the problem.

Correct me if im wrong but I thought LMT was TOP tier contender. You think they would help fix the problem. I thought I could be wrong so I looked at a few other LMT lowers compaired to mine and they definitely are not the same. Screw this, im selling my LMT upper & lower and buying Rock River.Tool marks, bad annodizing and poor customer service.....Top tier my ASS!!! Maybe im being picky but, you think for the money you pay for LMT you would get a better product. Too bad, I was going to buy another LMT for my next build. Glad I didnt.

Sorry. Now that im done pissing and moaning, has anyone had similar problems with LMT?
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#17]
That sucks, I would have thought that they would have been more receptive to your problem. Not sure what I would do at this point if I were unhappy with lower receiver. How much are you going to sell it for?
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well I spoke with Gene today at LMT. All I can say is, im NOT impressed. I Asked him if the color of the annodizing was normal and after a minute or two he replied "Not sure but I belive that's how they look". He also said that they would not refinish unless I wanted to pay for it, and even then he said he dosent know if it will look any better. Regardless, he seemed reluctant to fix the problem.

Correct me if im wrong but I thought LMT was TOP tier contender. You think they would help fix the problem. I thought I could be wrong so I looked at a few other LMT lowers compaired to mine and they definitely are not the same. Screw this, im selling my LMT upper & lower and buying Rock River.Tool marks, bad annodizing and poor customer service.....Top tier my ASS!!! Maybe im being picky but, you think for the money you pay for LMT you would get a better product. Too bad, I was going to buy another LMT for my next build. Glad I didnt.

Sorry. Now that im done pissing and moaning, has anyone had similar problems with LMT?

That's piss poor customer service!
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Some of these higher end products are no better than the cheaper suppliers, i bought a "cheap" M1S upper and i couldnt be happier it matched my Double Star lower perfictly.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I purchased LMT lower assembled by LMT, through FFL dealer.
Complete upper I ordered directly from LMT.
Everything is perfect - finish, color, workmanship, and fit.
No play between the upper and lower. Rock solid.

One question. Did LMT anodize your Magpul trigger guard purple to match your purple receiver?

Link Posted: 4/17/2007 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I thought only Bushmasters came in the purple option.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#22]
The trigger guard was instlled by me. Its not purple its actually black. i will post close up pics of it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Your trigger gaurd is purple also. I kinda' doubt thats coincidence. Did you buy this new or did it come to you second hand? It looks a lot like someone tried to clean the lower with tthe wrong stuff.  simple green, super purple or uncle bobs blue stuff might not be the best thing to use on alum anodise. Just buy a can of aluma hyde or krylon and have at. Just my simple opion.                 PS - its still an LMT, it is the best                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  EDIT-I was typing while your last post went up. Didnt know you installed trigger gaurd. sorry. not a clue...
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#24]
If you look in the second and last pic you can see its black. Sorry for the bad lighting.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I will try to get some pics outside in daylight as soon as I can.
Link Posted: 4/17/2007 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Who did it come from, indv. or dealer? They should be willing to help you out if they are an lmt dealer, i would think. If you wanted to sell the lower I dont think you will have much trouble finding a buyer. LMT seem to be well liked. Pull your timney trigger and vltor stock and I may be interested, seriously. Trigger gaurd included. Shoot me an i.m. if so  
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Norrels moly resin - its good for the barrel too :D
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#28]
its either sell it or have the upper and lower refinished in moly resin. I just really sucks because this was my top of the line build. I mean I went all out for this one. $3,100 and counting.

Here is my parts list just to give you an idea...

LMT complete upper & lower
Lmt bcg
Vltor stock,slingplate & buttpad
Ergo grip
Timney trigger
Magpul trigger guard, floor plates & xd rail covers
Aimpoint ML3
Larue Aimpoint cantalever mount
Larue 9.0 handguard
Larue low pro gasblock
Troy front and rear battle sights
Surefire M952XM07
Tangodown Vertical battle grip
Badger tactical latch
Phantom flash hider

Link Posted: 4/18/2007 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Have you tried re-contacting LMT and pressing the issue with them? I would hope that they would have better customer service than what you are getting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#30]
going to be a little different no matter what b/c one is steel and one is alloy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#31]
True, but someone should have noticed that the lower receiver was purple and not black.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top