Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2006 6:08:46 AM EDT
Finally have my winter project all finished! Just gotta get out and shoot it soon now.

Specs:
Superior Arms Lower, ACE stock, Hogue grip (RB Precision)
16" Carbon Fiber Barrel, carbine length (ABS)
RRA NM 2 Stage Trigger, Smith Vortex G6, Badger Ordnance Ultra High 30mm rings & ErgoGrips Rail Covers (Brownells)
YHM Mid-Length Lightweight Handguard, YHM specter gas block, Upper and internals (M&A)
Super Sniper 10x42 scope (SWFA)

Click each photo for a higher res. version.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
fantastic rifle, love the barrel, have you shot it yet?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That's a great looking gun, npd233 !!!!!

What kind of gas block do you have on there?
It looks interesting.

Cool rail panels too!

YHM Specter gas block
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#6]
another black rifle was born. Job well done it looks great
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#7]
That is one damn fine looking rifle.  It's visual appeals borders on sexual.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah, yeah... We know you prefer assimilation to individuality.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#9]
That's really great, if you like that kind of stuff.
And you know I DO!!!

efxguy

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#10]
is it a wise idea to have the scope spanning that gap?

you've got two different mounting surfaces and a greater potential for flexing.
I would think a sleeve or something along those lines would be a better option.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
is it a wise idea to have the scope spanning that gap?

you've got two different mounting surfaces and a greater potential for flexing.
I would think a sleeve or something along those lines would be a better option.

It's a free-float tube, only attached to the upper receiver, so I'm not too concerned about any flexing.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice.  What does it weigh?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:01:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Very nice.  What does it weigh?

Without the scope and rings, it was 6.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#14]
awesome looking gun
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome looking rifle.

The YHM guard is the ONLY FF tube I've heard of that you're not supposed to do that, because it a) has tendency to rotate because of how it's attached, or b) will heat up and warp a little after rapid fire.  Then again I've never heard of the feared problems actually happening.  Please keep us updated on that specific issue.  I'd like to know for mounting a front sight on the hand guard.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Awesome looking rifle.

The YHM guard is the ONLY FF tube I've heard of that you're not supposed to do that, because it a) has tendency to rotate because of how it's attached, or b) will heat up and warp a little after rapid fire.  Then again I've never heard of the feared problems actually happening.  Please keep us updated on that specific issue.  I'd like to know for mounting a front sight on the hand guard.

Thanks!

I doubt I'll have any problems with it heating up, especially since I built this around a carbon fiber barrel and trying to dedicate it to long range stuff. The barrel is supposed to be incredibly efficient at dissipating heat. I don't forsee doing mag-dumps while sighting the target thru a 10x scope. If however it develops problems I'll definitely pass on the info! If it does, my next step would probably be getting a LMT MRP or something from Daniel Defense.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If it does, my next step would probably be getting a LMT MRP or something from Daniel Defense.

Just about any one-peice monorail should suffice IF you ever have problems.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Sweet rifle.
Looking forward to the range report.

If the FF tube is a problem, this might help rather than replace the tube.
www.gandrtactical.com/larue_files/larue_smeer.htm
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Sweet rifle.
Looking forward to the range report.

If the FF tube is a problem, this might help rather than replace the tube.
www.gandrtactical.com/larue_files/larue_smeer.htm

That would certainly be cheaper! I'll keep that in mind. I'm actually working on another CF barrel build- this one a midlength. I may end up using the mid length upper once it's finished with this scope and lower receiver. All depends on which handguard I end up deciding on. Ah.. I tell ya it's nothing but headaches!!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:49:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I wish I had your problems
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1 haha . ..but how does she shoot?  Any good?

ETA:  a 16" for a dedicated LONG RANGE rifle?  What kinda ranges are we talking about?

Looking forward to a range report!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Ok range report time...

Shot fine, but...

The forearm DID rotate (clockwise if you look at it from the front of the rifle) about 2-3° which pulled the front of the scope left - effectively making the scope worthless until a more stable mounting solution can be found.

I'm wondering exactly what it would take to get this forearm on straight, and keep it that way. I don't necessarily want to spend more $ on something else to replace it, plus I spent a small fortune on the Badger Ordnance rings which I really like. I don't think the forearm's loc-tited in place. Would that help keep it lined up?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#24]
One seemingly easy solution I've read a few times is to drill and tap a small hole through the hand guard and into the barrel nut.  Then secure a small setscrew into the whole with loctite and that's it.  It's easily removable for disassembly and there's no way the tube can rotate.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
One seemingly easy solution I've read a few times is to drill and tap a small hole through the hand guard and into the barrel nut.  Then secure a small setscrew into the whole with loctite and that's it.  It's easily removable for disassembly and there's no way the tube can rotate.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top