Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2006 9:10:03 PM EDT
I built this tack-driver myself on the cheap.  After spending over $3000 on my last "precision" rig (you can see that one here), I decided to build a more economical version.  I have a little over $1100 (w/o the can of course) in it including the Colt/B-Square mount that was given to me by a friend.  Here she is with a few groups I shot today (100yds, sandbag rest, 77gr SMK's from Black Hills and HSM).  Not too shabby for a cheap rifle

Specs as follows:
Stag Lower
CMC Single Stage trigger/KNS Pins
CMT Upper, Bolt, BC & CH
YHM FF tube
PRI Gas Block
WOA SPR barrel
Nikon Buckmaster 4x14x40 SF MD
SWR Suppressor that I already had
My Alumahyde/Krylon Camo Job

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of South Carolina you shooting in?  Nice rifle got something close to it sitting half done right now.
No pics but its a WOA upper with spiral flutes that I got off the EE with Mega lower  A2 butt stock and soon to be on the way 16x Super Sniper .
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, how do you like your scope, mount, and barrel? I was thinking about the SAME combo for a later build.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#3]
What twist is the barrel?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, Les Baer-like precision for less than half the price.  Very nice.

Sorry, the topic is fresh in my mind.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#5]
nice.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#6]
mc556-- Shot yesterday at the Beaverdam DNR range in Edgefield county.

heavytank2--Love the scope.  In keeping with the value/budget-minded approach, it is hard to beat for the money.  Side focus, resettable knobs, Mildot reticle, clear glass- what's not to love?  The mount fits into the same category.  Not near as cool as a LaRue, etc, but perfectly functional and IT WAS FREE.  Remember, I was trying to see if I could build a very accurate rifle on a shoestring budget.  WOA barrels are well regarded in most circles.  Again, maybe not as cool as a Rock or Kreiger, but then again, you can't argue with how it shoots

Duskykiller--Twist rate is 1:7.  WOA's standard 18 inch SPR barrel.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I am going to get one of those WOA barrels. The rest of my build will be Rock/ River.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Just noticed you painted the scope. Is there any special tricks in doing this? How do you keep the paint out of the power adjustments etc.?

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Simply mask off the areas you don't want painted then spray it.  Just don't spray too heavily around the power adjustment.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats a great looking setup and it shoots
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
What do you think you have just in the rifle w/o scope. I am going to do the same type of build ..good to see it won't break the bank.Did your groups go bottom, top and middle?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

more like a third
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

more like a third

A certain quote from P.T. Barnum comes to mind.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Scoop, Nice build and nice shooting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

more like a third

Hey now, don't make fun!  Scoop is probably one of those Les Baer master gunsmiths, that's the only explanation for that type of accuracy...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
3 shot groups?

I am interested in seeing what the WOA SPR barrel will do - but I dont measure anything with 3 shot groups.  I cant tell you the numbe of 3 shot groups I put in one hole, with the other two opening it up to MOA.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
3 shot groups?

I am interested in seeing what the WOA SPR barrel will do - but I dont measure anything with 3 shot groups.  I cant tell you the numbe of 3 shot groups I put in one hole, with the other two opening it up to MOA.

I heard it said that the first 3 show what the rifle can do and the next two show what the shooter can do.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are looking for a very accurate barrel on a budget, look at the Oly SS barrels.

My buddy built a Recce style AR for a precision rifle class we took and bought an new OLY 16" SS barrel for dirt cheap. We were all pretty shocked when he was consistantly shooting groups as small or smaller than all of the precision bolt guns on the range.

Now when I say "Precision Bolt Guns" I need to say that none of them were the level of a GAP or something like that, but there were a lot of Rem 700 P's, my LTR, and a FN SPR. Nothing custom tuned.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
3 shot groups?

WOA 18" SPR barrel from ADCO.  First handload attempt with 69gr SMKs at 100yds.  Immediately accurate.  Stumbled into the optimal combo on the first try.  I have since moved on to 77gr SMKS and got nowhere close to this yet.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:43:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3 shot groups?

img382.imageshack.us/img382/3561/dsc010988xm.jpg</a>

WOA 18" SPR barrel from ADCO.  First handload attempt with 69gr SMKs at 100yds.  Immediately accurate.  Stumbled into the optimal combo on the first try.  I have since moved on to 77gr SMKS and got nowhere close to this yet.

Mongo nice group but  shouldn`t the holes be in the orange pasty?

I think you just sold a barrel.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
3 shot groups?

img382.imageshack.us/img382/3561/dsc010988xm.jpg</a>

Mongo nice group but  shouldn`t the holes be in the orange pasty?

I think you just sold a barrel.

Nope.  I'd rather have them off the pasty when testing, then zero when I'm happy.  I use the pasty for sighting.  Just my preference.

These barrels are a bargain at what most sell them for.  Mine does good from 100 to 600yds.  The 77s aren't working out as well, but I think I need to slow them down some.  I've been pushing them at or above Mk262 velocities.  Maybe the secret with this barrel is a little slower.  Who knows.  That's the fun of reloading.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:46:27 PM EDT
[#22]
i do the same when working a load.  its hard to aim when your bullet holes make your aiming point bigger.  
great rifle scoop.  its nice to see money well spent, and a camoflauge job that actually works.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

heavytank2--Love the scope.  In keeping with the value/budget-minded approach, it is hard to beat for the money.  Side focus, resettable knobs, Mildot reticle, clear glass- what's not to love?  The mount fits into the same category.  Not near as cool as a LaRue, etc, but perfectly functional and IT WAS FREE.  Remember, I was trying to see if I could build a very accurate rifle on a shoestring budget.  WOA barrels are well regarded in most circles.  Again, maybe not as cool as a Rock or Kreiger, but then again, you can't argue with how it shoots

YES! I almost forgot, GLAD you mentioned it! Resetable knobs! I was wondering how the hell you would zero the scope then have to remember the numbers the zero was at? Would be a numbers nightmare. Thanks!

Two questions though...
1) Does a front sight interfere with that mount? I might snatch up that mount/scope for my 16" Middy but not sure if the front sight will make it un-useable.
2) What zoom setting does the mil-dots equal 1:1? If I remember right its usually 10x.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:43:50 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3 shot groups?

I heard it said that the first 3 show what the rifle can do and the next two show what the shooter can do.

I've competed with SCOOP and against him in several disciplines.  Whatever the firearm is capable of, you can count on.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:52:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the comments folks.  

DBLETAP--I have about $800 in it w/o optics, bipod or can.  However, I bought most everything used except the barrel, stripped lower, and the trigger.  By my estimation, you can build a carbon copy using all new parts for just over a grand (again W/O Optics, bipod, suppressor).  As to the groups pictured, they actually go bottom, middle and top.  I fired the bottom group, adjusted the scope, then fired the middle group (both shot with BH Blue Box 77gr SMK's).  The top group was fired last with a different brand of ammo (HSM) which explains the different POI.

MudBug--The Oly SUM barrels are indeed good shooters, but they are priced about the same as WOA's barrels.  I've used both, but for the money, I'll take the WOA.

heavytank2--A standard front sight won't keep you from using this mount/optic combo but at the lower-power settings you will be able to see the front sight in your field of view.
At the higher-power settings, you won't see the front sight, but you may notice a slight dark area in the lower portion of your field of view.   This optic is set up to range true at 12X.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:09:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice.  Looks good and nice shooting  
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

more like a third

Hey now, don't make fun!  Scoop is probably one of those Les Baer master gunsmiths, that's the only explanation for that type of accuracy...

OK guys, you caught me.  I didn't really build this rifle.  It is actually a Les Baer Custom Super Tactical Urban Sniper Rifle (Dallas SWAT Special Edition).  I just painted it that way to throw you off
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:51:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3 shot groups?

img382.imageshack.us/img382/3561/dsc010988xm.jpg

That is awesome!  I am going to use one for my next build.... I hope to god I can get it to settle with 77grSMKs... cause that is what I shoot.  

Funny, my wilson barreled varmint gun doesnt like the 69's... it will only throws those at .75 to 1 MOA.... but with 77's is settles down to .5 to .75.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:00:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Thats a Real Nice Weapon,
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

more like a third

OK guys, you caught me.  I didn't really build this rifle.  It is actually a Les Baer Custom Super Tactical Urban Sniper Rifle (Dallas SWAT Special Edition).  I just painted it that way to throw you off

I thought you may have done the cammo but the number 95 looks like Les Baer factory work to me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#31]
i know i already posted once, but that is a super nice rig.  my brother wants a rifle IDENTICAL to that one.  i think we'll go with RRA or Superior for the receivers, but the WOA barrel apparently is a real performer.

nice rig!  how about those five shot groups?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:42:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice setup! I have always believed in the key to an accurate ar is to start off with a great barrel.

But 3 shot groups? I know you can afford a few more bullets...

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice!  Good paint job too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Nice!  Good paint job too.

Seems to me someone with the painting skills could make a lot on money painting AR`s for folks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Tag, because I don't want to loose this thread. I will be building something very close to this.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#36]
For all you 5-shot groupies out there-- here you go.  Shot these today.  All were fired at 100 yards off sandbag rest with optic at 14X.  All groups fired with Black Hills Blue Box 77 gr SMK's.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:11:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Lets see another group with the last ammo you shot on the first page. How is it with a lighter bullet?$800 is good for used parts,I just need to be patient.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
For all you 5-shot groupies out there-- here you go.  Shot these today.  All were fired at 100 yards off sandbag rest with optic at 14X.  All groups fired with Black Hills Blue Box 77 gr SMK's.
www.hunt101.com/img/374787.JPG
www.hunt101.com/img/374789.JPG
www.hunt101.com/img/374788.JPG

Nice groups.  Nice rifle.  Maybe it needs more testing though,   Send it to me with a case of ammo I will return the rifle and brass.

I made the mistake of going back to some of your other posts to look at your Reece and find pictures
of your Sam-R mentioned in the Reece thread.  Then I stumbled on the GAP bolt.  The rifle is soooo
nice I ruined my key board drolling.  

One thing is for sure from all the groups I saw you can flat shoot.  Nice buck too with the Reece.
The bullet stayed together much better then I thought it would.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:32:06 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Lets see another group with the last ammo you shot on the first page. How is it with a lighter bullet?$800 is good for used parts,I just need to be patient.

Sorry, but the first pic on page one represents the last three rounds of Hunting Shack Munitions ammo that I had.  I've nursed that one 50-round box of the stuff through three different rifles.  I had those three rounds left and figured I'd go ahead and use them.  In the other two rifles, the HSM stuff shot about as good as the Black Hills.  

Haven't shot this rifle with any lighter bullets.  Only match ammo I have on hand is the Black Hills 77 gr SMK.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice groups.  Nice rifle.  Maybe it needs more testing though,   Send it to me with a case of ammo I will return the rifle and brass.

You know Don, you're probably right about the testing.  Send me your FFL's address and I'll get it right out to you.  You just pay the shipping & handling.  I think $1500 ought to cover it (that's $25 for shipping and $1475 for handling).

I made the mistake of going back to some of your other posts to look at your Reece and find pictures
of your Sam-R mentioned in the Reece thread.  Then I stumbled on the GAP bolt.  The rifle is soooo

One thing is for sure from all the groups I saw you can flat shoot.  Nice buck too with the Reece.

Thanks Don.  I originally linked to my archived RECCE thread just to show that you don't have to spend $3K+ to build an accurate rifle.  Especially when MOST people's need for an accurate rifle is just match shooting or paper punching.  I  have had and still have some very pricey custom rigs, and it is true you get what you pay for, but the purpose of this build/thread is to show that someone with slightly less fundage can still enjoy the amazing potential of the black rifle.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:24:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I have not heard of that ammo before.I was just looking at the group. For your rifle you might want to get some more of that stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:44:35 PM EDT
[#42]
nice!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know Don, you're probably right about the testing.  Send me your FFL's address and I'll get it right out to you.  You just pay the shipping & handling.  I think $1500 ought to cover it (that's $25 for shipping and $1475 for handling).

Thanks Don.  I originally linked to my archived RECCE thread just to show that you don't have to spend $3K+ to build an accurate rifle.  Especially when MOST people's need for an accurate rifle is just match shooting or paper punching.  I  have had and still have some very pricey custom rigs, and it is true you get what you pay for, but the purpose of this build/thread is to show that someone with slightly less fundage can still enjoy the amazing potential of the black rifle.

Dam, I didn`t think it would fly but I had to try.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#44]
I've had a few IM's regarding the HSM 77gr SMK ammo.  Here's a link to their website.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:52:27 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I've had a few IM's regarding the HSM 77gr SMK ammo.  Here's a link to their website.

Their 175 grain match 308 ammo is very reasonable.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:26:28 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And accurate too!  Check it out here in the archives.  A word of warning for all you 5-shot groupies.  The groups you're gonna see are only 3-shot
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And accurate too!  Check it out here in the archives.  A word of warning for all you 5-shot groupies.  The groups you're gonna see are only 3-shot

I can see you can get the extra accuracy out of custom weapons.   It likes the 168`s GA arms smk.  I thought the TAP would do better.  Not that 1/2 inch is bad.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top