Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2006 6:46:46 PM EDT
So I am in the process of building my first AR. I was wondering, what are the essential tools I would need to get the job done?

I am building an Mk12 MOD1.

I am hoping I can find somewhere to borrow/rent a torque wrench to properly attach the bbl.

Tips are welcome too!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
www.bushmaster.com
Bushmaster handguard removal tool -- #HGD-Tool -- $19.95
Bushmaster receiver push pin tool -- #IMP-1 -- $6.95
Bushmaster action clamp -- #OM-003 -- $38.95
Bushmaster firing pin protrusion gauge -- #MMT-0005 -- $14.95

www.brownells.com
Brownells Bench Block (round, grooved) -- #498-100-100 -- $12.50
Brownells AR-15 Front Sight Bench Block -- #080-000-252 -- $34.97
Brownells needle oilers (quantity 3) -- #084-038-203 --$6.67
Kroil (8-ounce can) -- #471-100-008 -- $8.90
Gas tube wrench-- #133-100-015 -- $24.95
"Field Gauge" -- #319-418-033 -- $14.94

doityourself.com
Dasco 4 1/2" X 1/16" pin punch -- #6476659 -- $3.69
Dasco 5 1/2" X 3/32" pin punch -- #6472732 -- $3.89

www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm
Proto 4 1/4" X 3/32" Tip Super-Duty Roll Pin Punch -- #J49332 -- $4.96
Proto 4 1/4" X 1/8" Tip Super-Duty Roll Pin Punch -- #J49018 -- $5.43
Stanley 3/32" Square Nail Set -- #58-113 -- $2.55
Stanley 5 oz. Magnetic Tack Hammer -- #54-304 -- $11.03

www.olyarms.com
Olympic Arms armorer's wrench -- #H28B -- $27

www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239
Pittsburgh Tools 1/2" Torque Wrench-- #239-3VGA -- $9.99

www.plastixplustx.com/ar15/ar15.html
AR-15 Maintenance Stand

i can't take credit for this list.  it was given to me a couple months back by another arfcommer.  i copied it into a word document so i could save it...  glad it did.  

hope this helps.

septic tank

ETA - this is a general group of tools for building the majority of units in the AR platform.  i wish i could remember who posted it on a thread where i asked the same question as you in order to give him credit.  it IS a great list.  i would suspect that the tools listed here will do the trick on almost all the builds you will encounter.  

i asked for the information because i didn't want to buy the "super armorer's kit" for $1000.00...  having some of these items already, this list was a no brainer.  i substituted a little here and there, but after i picked up this stuff, what i have used from it has worked well.

septic tank
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#2]
there are tacked threads up top showing and listing whats needed to do what.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:05:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I would need the "field" headspace gauge for building an upper with new parts? I dont know much about headspacing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i wish i could remember who posted it on a thread where i asked the same question as you in order to give him credit.

It was me.

Glad that it has helped. When I attended an armorer's course, I made careful note of exactly what brands were used in class, and stayed after class to quiz the instructor as to why we used what tools we did. He stated that he'd tried about everything out there, and that the above listed items were what he considered to be the best available. I then bought everything on my list a couple of weeks later.

Some of the items mentioned above are not necessary, but definitely make the job easier and more professional.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would need the "field" headspace gauge for building an upper with new parts? I dont know much about headspacing.

It wouldn't hurt, but really shouldn't be necessary if a new barrel and new bolt are used.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i wish i could remember who posted it on a thread where i asked the same question as you in order to give him credit.

It was me.

Glad that it has helped. When I attended an armorer's course, I made careful note of exactly what brands were used in class, and stayed after class to quiz the instructor as to why we used what tools we did. He stated that he'd tried about everything out there, and that the above listed items were what he considered to be the best available. I then bought everything on my list a couple of weeks later.

Some of the items mentioned above are not necessary, but definitely make the job easier and more professional.

sorry i wasn't able to give credit where credit is due...  it is a great list.  thanks again.  nice to have a "community" around here to spread and aid the addiction, isn't it?

thanks again,

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow... that is quite a list.  I dont use anywhere near that amount of stuff.  All the stuff I use is in the tacked thread at the top.

#1 - brass punch/hammer kit.  I use it for everything, all the time.
#2 - Craftsman 5 piece punch set (1/16" and up - think lifetime warranty)
#3 - Armorers wrench.  Bushy, DPMS, Oly, etc..  I think Oly looks the best.
#4 - Bushmaster Action block.
#5 - Small crescent wrench (for removing muzzle devices
#6 - BF Hammer, and soft no-mar hammer
#7 - snap ring pliers
#8 - strap wrench
#9 - vise!  

I haven't seen much you cannot do with the above.  There are lots of other misc tools that will be "nice to have" from time to time....   I have no use for the handguard removal tools, gas tube wrenches, or a firing pin gauge.  The FSB block is nice - but I have no use for the bench block.  I buy craftsman punches - because no matter the brand, you will break them, and it is most convenient for me to swap out for new ones.  A brass punch set is available for $20 in my thread, and I use it constantly.  I cant imagine using a torque wrench.  

Every builder is going to have different opinions.... these are mine based on my experience.  When I started, I didnt have much other than a wrench and action block, and a brass punch set.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
If you need to borrow action blocks, and the wrench, you may want to check in the Texas hometown forum, there are probably people near you that would help out with their tools.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I went by my local Harbor Freight and got the 1/2" torque wrench and an 8pc 4" punch set. Total was $20.55.

I'll probably buy an action block, just incase I build more uppers before I leave for my MCRT.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top