Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/21/2005 9:29:16 PM EDT
Can someone point out the significant differences between the various parts kits? I've seen alot of people rave about RRA's, but there are plenty of other parts kits around and i wondered what the main differences are and why there are a few different price points within the range. Which kits have you all had the best luck with?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:15:18 AM EDT
[#1]
quality!
craftsmanship!
finish!
fit!

i like bushmaster's lpk's the best out of what i have used, which is rra, jtdistributing, dpms and some other in the past.

have heard a lot of great things about cmt though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
two things that piss me off about LPK's: plastic trigger guards, and hex screw.

THEY ARE CRAP. At least in my opinion they are.

I stick with DPMS. decent quality, low cost, and mil-spec parts.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:16:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

not trying to start a war but the dpms kits i have used in the past had poor machining/tolerances.

looked bad and lack of attention to detail.

i would prefer the plastic tg along with the hex screw over the what you get with the dpms kit
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]
S
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not trying to start a war but the dpms kits i have used in the past had poor machining/tolerances.

looked bad and lack of attention to detail.

i would prefer the plastic tg along with the hex screw over the what you get with the dpms kit

Not doubting you one bit. Worst problem i has is one kit was missing a trigger spring. And they promptly sent me a reaplcement.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:05:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
quality!
craftsmanship!
finish!
fit!

+1.  I've built up two Lauer Lowers using RRA LPKs recently and the builds went very smooth with the right tools.  They say that RRA roll pins are designed differently from other LPK roll pins which makes installation easier.

I do like the BM manganese phosphate parts over the RRA LPK one which have black bolt release levers.  The only thing is that BM has the plastic TG over RRA's aluminum TG.  They're both pretty good though.  You'll probably end up changing the TG to something like a Magpul TG anyway, so that wouldn't matter (like I did with my BM M4A3 Carbine).

I haven't tried the rest, but I have heard from a reputable dealer that the DPMS LPKs are harder to install (QC?), but that CMT/Stag LPK's are excellent quality.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the ArmaLite LPKS on my builds
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Stag is nice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 For Stag/Cmt
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only used Rock River LPK's, but they seem nice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have used Bushy, RRA, and J&T.  I really liked the J&T the best.  Not one of the big names, but definately the best trigger pull out of the bunch.  

I want to try a Stag set on my next build though....
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have used Bushy, RRA, and J&T.  I really liked the J&T the best.  Not one of the big names, but definately the best trigger pull out of the bunch.  

i agree with the trigger quality but the rest of the kit is not up to par with bm or rra
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:37:20 AM EDT
[#13]
I did a thorough search  before buying my first LPK and decided to go with RRA.  Got if from Eaglefirearms for a good price and the guy I spoke with on the phone was very pleasant and helpful.  I saved a few bucks also since I already had an old trigger and grip, so he said that I could just deduct the price of those and get the rest of the kit.  I never found even one bad comment about RRA during my search but I'm sure someone out there has got a beef with them.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't buy LPKs, because every time I've tried to, one or more parts were either out of spec or poorly finished.  So I buy the pieces one at a time, and will share my experiences (for whatever it's worth) on who does a good job w/what.

Hammers: DPMS

Triggers: DPMS and Bushie

Disconnectors:Bushie

Mag Releases: Bushie or DPMS

Mag release buttons: Colt, for the proper color.

Bolt holdopens: Bushie

Front and rear push pins: Bushie (All the others I've seen, while in spec dimensionally, were tool marked on one or both ends)

Grip screws: DPMS, because I prefer the original slotted screw type.

Trigger guards:Only  Colt, because all the others are colored in ways that don't match the lowers.

The odds and ends: Any of the major players.

Now I haven't tried any Stag/Conti pieces, but if the rumors are correct, and they're making the pieces for Colt, then that may well be the best place to go for a kit.  When next I buld a lower, may give them a try

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I have assembled two RRA lowers with RRA LPK's.  One was missing a part, the other had bad parts.  I replaced the bad parts with Bushy stuff.  For the next one, I will spend $10 more and get the Bushy parts to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I've built lowers using the following parts kits:

DPMS (several)
Bushmaster (several)
RRA (two)
Olympic (one)
Colt (one)
and most recently CMT/Stag (three).

I've had great success with all of those listed but when it comes down to workmanship and machining the Stag LPKs have been far ahead of the others.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:17:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Another vote for Stag/CMT LPK.  just finished assm. of a stripped lower with a CMT LPK from Denny.  Fit nice/looks nice.  Took about 30-45 min.  My first lower build.  I'm gonna order one more.  Wait, maybe two.  LOL
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:59:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I have only used Colts LPK and the fit and finish are excellent!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#19]
What's wrong with the hex grip screw? I prefer it over the slot screw.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

there's nothing wrong with it, some just prefer it over the hex.

me, personally also likes the hex over the slot screw.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 9:55:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I honestly don't know who made my LPK. It's from Del-Ton, and it works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I honestly don't know who made my LPK. It's from Del-Ton, and it works flawlessly.

Del-Ton sells DPMS lower parts kits.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Sometimes it's hard to find a long enough hex key when you need one that's all.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 4:18:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup, and thats frustrating.  Armalite uses hex head bolts for the pistol grip on their AR10s.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a magnetic tip screwdriver and corresponding hex tip.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 6:49:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Just built two LCW lowers with Stag LPK's.  I'll be using Stag LPK's from now on.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:56:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I liked the Stag LPK I got, although the hammer face was polished a bit out of whack (it wasn't square) so I tossed it into my spares box.  The exterior portion of the bolt catch was also a bit, well, fugly, so it went too.  

The Stag FCG pins, trigger guard, trigger, and roll pins are the best I've seen from any manufacturer.  Crappy and loose trigger gaurds are a pet peeve of mine, but the Stag one is tight and a smooth satin black with no tool marks.

It would be really nice to see a selector switch from them that has the notch on the ejection port side to indicate what mode it is set on.

All considered, I would buy a Stag LPK again, though I'd also be happy with an RRA or Bushy LPK.

I've never had any failures with any DPMS parts, or any that wouldn't install or function, but they just look... different.  Not neccessarily bad, just different.  I have lots of them in my spares box.

Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:02:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Just bought a stag/cmt lpk from tecknic off the ee, came w/ stainless steel trigger pins, my first biult and it went together "flawlessly". I scratched up the bolt catch hole trying to pound in that f@#$ing roll pin!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Just bought a stag/cmt lpk from tecknic off the ee, came w/ stainless steel trigger pins, my first biult and it went together "flawlessly". I scratched up the bolt catch hole trying to pound in that f@#$ing roll pin!!!!!

It's always good to get the first scratch out othe way
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get a magnetic tip screwdriver and corresponding hex tip.

I bought one of those 10 pk Stanley screwdriver sets.  The long skinny flat screwdrivers fits perfectly in the hex.  I also bought a pack of slotted screws from Brownells and replaced the hex screws.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i agree with the trigger quality but the rest of the kit is not up to par with bm or rra

Well my experience has been opposite of yours and more similar to Southrnshooter's.

I've used the following...
J&T (3)
RRA (2)
ArmaLite (1)
Colt (1)

Actually, I never used the Armalite kit because I looked through the parts and they didn't look very good so I decided not to use it.

The RRA kits are good kits and I would have no issue with using another one.

The J&T kits are supposed to be sourced from the same place that Colt sources their parts from? (you know how that story goes). Either way, I can honestly say I've seen very little difference between them and the Colt kit and both seemed to me to be a little nicer than the RRA kits.

Colt and J&T kits come with what is considered the "proper" SS slotted pistol grip screw. RRA and Armalite kits come with the hex head. I prefer the hex head even though it's not technically correct.

I've never bought and probably never will buy a BM kit because I don't want to spend $10-$20 more for a kit that comes with a plastic trigger guard. I've heard the reasoning for it but I don't buy it. It's just a cheap shortcut IMO.

I've never bought a DPMS kit because I've read too many threads about people getting out of spec parts from DPMS kits.

This is all just my personal experience and opinion. YMMV

PS - I need to try one of those CMT kits next.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:02:42 PM EDT
[#32]
I completed my first build not long ago and I used an RRA LPK.  Everything matched up as far as color with the Stag lower and upper.   I thought it was the best value when I priced a bunch of the different LPK's.  But since I've read so many good things about the Stag/CMT LPK's, I might try one of those next time.  Probably on a Stag lower again.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#33]
just assembled a lower with a rra lpk's, only used it cause thats what my ffl had on hand so i decided to just pick it up and not wait on ordering..

decent like before but i am sticking to bushmaster next time. everything fit right into a doublestar lower but was really gritty.

and im sure its the pk and not the lower

beautiful finish on the ds lower though!!
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#34]
You people are obsessing about nothing.  Most (not all) of the guys mentioned buy their LPK parts from the same places.....

LPK's in general are a tossup.  I have seen good and bad ones from EVERYONE listed.

What I have learned.... I buy from whoever has the best price - or most convenient.  If a part is out of spec, I either fix the issue, or replace the single part....  It aint that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#35]
thanks all, i ended up with a RRA LPK to round out the rifle, it came in the mail today with all parts. now i just need a day off from work to get the whole shebang together and we should be in business. Going with the RRA kit gives me a rifle that is all RRA parts except for the stag lower. finish on the upper and lower are 100%. the stand-in carry handle (until I get a good buis/optic combo together) is kinda ugly but gets the job done. All in all, I got an NY-legal M4gery with chrome lined barrel, m4 flutes, noncollapsible stock, and flat top upper for under $600. Pics will follow on the build pics thread when its together.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top