Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2005 9:30:20 AM EDT
I went to the range saturday to test my new AR (stag + model 1 kit) and it did not cycle. So I took it to the gun shop, and from reading on this website about cycling problems, it can be a gas problem. So just incase, I checked the extractor and the buffer spring and everything looked good then I concluded it has something to with that I had no knowledge of fixing. Since I know next to nothing about the AR gas system, I decided to leave it with the gunsmith at the range for him to fix.

So this is a warning to everybody thinking about Model 1 sales, if you are willing to gamble for an upper that works, go ahead and get it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 10:27:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Another M1S "-1"??  Did you specify the optional gas port??  Link to a link

And here comes the parade of people who have had "X" number of M1S rifles and/or uppers without a problem.  Regardless of your experience, M1S consistently is inconsistent in it's quality of product.  As always, buyer beware.  FWIW, IIRC, YMMV, IBTL and all other disclaimers apply.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 11:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I understand your pain.  I had THREE M1S uppers, dissy, that would not print on paper.  I will NOT do business with M1S again.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you check the gas key? They come loose super easy on the Model ones.

IMO, model ones are no better than second rate. Steer clear.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine would shoot very good, but not semi-auto, which was very annoying that I put $550 into something would not function properly. No I did not check the gas key. Next time its del-tron for me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
And here comes the parade of people who have had "X" number of M1S rifles and/or uppers without a problem.  

Yup they test fire uh huh... Function check????
Well I have an M1S upper 16" car from WAAAAYYYYY early in their existance and it functions just fine...and always except for he broken disconnector first time out and the nearly 10 years later Charging handle catch broke...... But aside from broken parts it has been great.... Suspect/broken parts replaced now with functional versions.... Bolt never broke but I replaced it anyway a loooong time ago... I will never buy from MA or M1s again... so essentially I have a barrel and upper....
I can assemble a better product for less money than I can buy M1s stuff.. and I know the quality of it... Posted a parts list here before even...

Oh and I recall an MA that passed through my hands while troubleshooting it that had the gas tube installed upside down!!!!! TEST FIRED!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 9:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I question the person who claims that he has no knowledge of the AR gas system but he has just assembled one in the form of a Kit!!! so what does this prove? maybe it was not the M1S parts maybe it was the person who assembled it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 9:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/6/2005 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And here comes the parade of people who have had "X" number of M1S rifles and/or uppers without a problem.  Regardless of your experience, M1S consistently is inconsistent in it's quality of product.  

Yeah, but as long as they get it right say, 60% of the time, thats cool and worth the savings, right?

You'd play the lottery with odds like that, wouldn't ya?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I question the person who claims that he has no knowledge of the AR gas system but he has just assembled one in the form of a Kit!!! so what does this prove? maybe it was not the M1S parts maybe it was the person who assembled it.

Well considering the Upper assembly came assembled by the folks who claim to know about the AR Gas System and actually assembled it and claim to test fire their uppers....????
I guess knowledge of the gas system is not necessary to assemble and test fire an upper.....

The MA upper I mentioned came from MA like that! Now we have in as many days two M1S uppers factory assembled one with no gas port! and another with a similar if not the same problem from a company who claims that they test fire their uppers....... every once in a while a lemon gets through but clearly these were not test fired....
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#11]

I decided to leave it with the gunsmith at the range for him to fix.

Link Posted: 6/7/2005 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd bet a small amount of money that someone, somewhere had a bad day and a few barrels got FSBs installed without gas ports drilled.  As these get pulled of the shelf and sent to customers, you will see a few instances like this.  Just a SWAG, but I'm throwing it out there.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#14]
The risk is not worth the miniscule cost savings, IMO. Better off with a complete STAG upper from BCA for $475.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 1:34:29 PM EDT
[#15]

I did not assemble the upper, I said I know NEXT TO NOTHING, that means I know the basics but enough to mess around with it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Loose gas keys are extremely common on Model 1 Sales. I'd check that first. Next cuprit could be misaligned FSB/GasBlock.

I've handled 2, and both of them came loose - out of the box. They looked tight, but it took about zero pressure with an allen key to loosen them. Not exactly what you would call 35-40 inch pounds.

Also the staking isn't really staking. They are just scratches on the key in my opinion. They do nothing to prevent the screws from coming loose. All they do at most is keep them captive. That won't matter since the rifle will not function at that point.

Model 1 isn't as bad as people make them out to be. They are still one of the cheapest out there. And remember, it is a KIT. Not a finished rifle.  If you are handy, patient and knowledgable you can save some money by going with them since you'll be able to handle the problems associated with a cheap kit like M1S.

It is the newbies that should stay clear of these types of kits. It all comes down to expectations. People want CHEAP, KIT, and PERFECT RELIABILITY/FUNCTION. Hard to get all 3 of those, if not impossible.

At under $500, as the old saying goes - you get what you pay for!
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd send the upper back for a full refund then get an LMT or cmmginc upper. Heck, anyone other than the cheaper AR upper dealers out there like M1S.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 7:03:49 PM EDT
[#18]
No problems with mine.

Check the gas rings. The spaces in the rings should be evenly space apart.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Had they testfired the one I just worked on it would have been obvious there was a problem with the chamber upon driving the spent brass out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

myth.

, Are you saying that the ARMY Technical Manual 9-1005-315-10 is wrong? Substantiate your claim.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Some here, I wish I could remember who, have intentionally aligned the gas rings and ran the rifle fine.  If your rifle has a number of other tolerances hindering gas system operation, the aligned rings may be the last straw, but by itself, it will not hinder a proper operating gas system.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Umm, it's like piston rings in a engine.  If they are aligned, there is an excess of blow by from compression.  If they are offset, the blow by is lessened.  But the engine still runs.

Same with the gas piston rings in an AR.

Sounds like no gas to me.  I'd be checking for a pinched gas tube before taking off the FSB.  But could be a "non-drilled gas port" too.

Link Posted: 6/8/2005 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

myth.

, Are you saying that the ARMY Technical Manual 9-1005-315-10 is wrong? Substantiate your claim.

Having supervised an Armory as XO of a Rifle Company, I can tell you that none of my armorers EVER bothered with the nonsense of staggering the gas rings. They will not stay that way for more than a few cycles of the bolt. This is one of those items in the technical manual that was put in for "VooDoo purposes". Sounded like a good idea at the time, and perhaps made an iota of difference on the testing bench where the bolt was removed after every shot. It is not practiced in the real world, nor should it be.  These rings move freely and will realign themselves in very short order, unlike the piston rings in the example above.  I have never seen an FTE/FTF that could be linked to non-staggered gas rings on a bolt.

IMO staggering gas rings is a waste of energy.  Better off getting a Tibetan Monk to Bless the thing than stagger your gas rings, both methods are about as useful.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

myth.

Having supervised an Armory as XO of a Rifle Company, I can tell you that none of my armorers EVER bothered with the nonsense of staggering the gas rings. They will not stay that way for more than a few cycles of the bolt. This is one of those items in the technical manual that was put in for "VooDoo purposes". Sounded like a good idea at the time, and perhaps made an iota of difference on the testing bench where the bolt was removed after every shot. It is not practiced in the real world, nor should it be.  These rings move freely and will realign themselves in very short order, unlike the piston rings in the example above.  I have never seen an FTE/FTF that could be linked to non-staggered gas rings on a bolt.

IMO staggering gas rings is a waste of energy.  Better off getting a Tibetan Monk to Bless the thing than stagger your gas rings, both methods are about as useful.

Pleas excuse me, my serving of crow has arrived.
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#26]
MOO
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top