Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2004 6:54:21 PM EDT
Please help as I'm putting together my first AR...   Bushy lower,  Mod 1 Lower Parts Kit...   And using the build instructions from this site...

I go through each of the holes with a drill bit that closest matches their size from my set that goe from 1/16 to 1/2 in 1/64 incriments.    When I drop the bolt catch plunger in the recessed hole is  seems sticky, so I re-ream the hole and inspect the plunger...   I take a we bit of sand paper to a small bur on the plunger, drop the spring in, then the plunger, and while I'm checking it for freedom of movement, it stays all the way to the bottom of the recessed hole...   I put Kroil on it and tapped the snot out of it  with the plunger faceing down... hoping that it'll pop itself out, but no luck...

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Try heating the aluminum receiver with an electric soldering iron.  the heat should expand the aluminum more than the steel plunger and allow it to pop up.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Try heating the aluminum receiver with an electric soldering iron.  the heat should expand the aluminum more than the steel plunger and allow it to pop up.  Good luck.

I think boiling water would be a better choice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I had the same situation within the last year on an Eagle Arms stripped lower.  

I resigned myself to needing a new plunger, so I took my dremel and burred a small indentation in the center of the face of the plunger (be steady for the HSS bur will go to town on the aluminum much easier than the steel)

I then took a small machine screw and started it into the hole and pulled the plunger out. It didn't take much effort -- just more than the srping could provide in the new, rough channel.

It turns out that the plunger was reusable after filing the face smooth, for the small hole seems to have no effect on the back of the bolt stop.

Now I always prefit the plunger by testing it upside-down in a set of small needlenose vice grips before attemping installation.  (and subsequently found another EA lower that would have caused the same headache in the process)

Good luck,

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#5]
i have ran into a few, like 5 or more plungers that were like that, and they were oversized, i measured them to find out, i tossed them in favor of some that were in spec, do not hack the lower to make a bad plunger fit
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#6]
This isn't a flame but.......

Why do so many people presume to be able to build an AR out of the gate?  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

they are not hard at all, thats why
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Lets not go there....
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Granted the Lower is pretty simple to get together.  I'm not flaming this guy cuz his question is pretty legit, but there are people who put the springs in wrong and such.

The upper on the other hand isn't quite so simple.  And even some of the factory uppers I have owned don't have a good mechanical zero.  

It just seems like it would be wiser to own an AR first and get used to how it functions and such before trying to build your own.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Most of the small parts for the AR are stamped or cast.
The lower SHOULD be machined.
Casting and stamping usually will not be as precise as machining. Ask a good machinest!
Fitting the small parts to get above average results from the AR FCG is the point of building AR's. IMO  

I've said it before, not everyone should build an AR. It's not a model airplane. The rifle could take an eye or finger. This last comment wasn't meant for any of the ARforum. Just the others out there.

mark mcj
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Granted the Lower is pretty simple to get together.  I'm not flaming this guy cuz his question is pretty legit, but there are people who put the springs in wrong and such.

The upper on the other hand isn't quite so simple.  And even some of the factory uppers I have owned don't have a good mechanical zero.  

Even uppers aren't that hard.  The problem is tha there's a crew of folks who insist on making it difficult.  Do a search for the Homo_Erectus upper-building method.  It works, I've built 5 that way, and I pull them apart and reassemble whenever I feel like it.  It's easy.

It just seems like it would be wiser to own an AR first and get used to how it functions and such before trying to build your own.
It's a matter of opinion. I believe the guy that builds has an understanding of the weapon that the buyer never gets.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#12]
First of all,  thanks for the advice.  I don't got time tonight to give any of these a try...

Quoted:

There's gonna be a first time for everything, no?   It's not like this is my first rifle, or second, or third, or fourth....  he...  but I digress...

Should I have gone to AR school after getting certified as a gun smith or something? her)

Oh and no I'm not posing as a Marine... I'm navy, but I played Marine for four weeks when the Naval Academy figured it would be good for all us Middies...   (I'm having visions of the SF_Chris thread right now... hock.gif)
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I feel stupid.   While working on my project(*) for the last six weeks, I was concerned about putting the pieces in as I had read assembling the lower is difficult.  

I did it tonight.   It took less than 15 minutes.   I took it out shooting and it ran through about  a hundred rounds with no runs, drips, or errors.   Who'da thunk it was as trivial a job as it is?

* Project was finishing a 60% forged lower , including anodizing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Most of the small parts for the AR are stamped or cast.

Only if your buy the cheap (crappy) parts.  Good parts are forged (and cost).

Will cast or stamped parts work?  Sure, but they will have a shorter life and you're much more likely to have issues or the parts may need 'fitting'.  Getting the cheap parts is a big reason why the newbies have problems and why the frankenguns have more issues.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 9:43:23 AM EDT
[#15]
the bolt stop plunger can be bitch sometimes!

Ottos_esq's solution sounds pretty good to me.....
"....so I took my dremel and burred a small indentation in the center of the face of the plunger (be steady for the HSS bur will go to town on the aluminum much easier than the steel)
I then took a small machine screw and started it into the hole and pulled the plunger out. It didn't take much effort -- just more than the srping could provide in the new, rough channel."

make sure next time you deburr your work "BEFORE you insert new parts into a blind hole.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never bought a ready-to-fire AR and I have taught many longtime AR owners a thing or two.   Its true that AR building really isnt that hard at all, I dare say....its easy.  I think even top prop would agree.  Just because he got a spring stuck doesnt mean he should have bought a pre-built, its just a snag....no biggie.  If you want a build thats a little harder try a FAL, or an AK.  

have you tried a pair of really sharp tweezers?  Try looking in the misses make-up box.  thats where I got one.......also consider the possibility that you put the wrong spring in.  At this point, I would be less concerned with saving the spring as I would just getting the darn thing out. ..Unless you dont feel the need for a bolt catch.  Come to think of it, I dont use mine that much
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Again, everyone... thanks for the advice and help... and the minimal flamming....  hat

But I couldn't keep my hands off my lower last night, (OK that sounds freaky, but how else could I put ithen
Oh the sweet feel of success...   Some working with a file took of the burs all the drilling made on the face of it, and some more around the outside of the plunger made it slide nice and repeatably....

So I got my lower together...  Thanks again for all the suggestions and insight.   ARFCOM rocks for greatly helpful, like minded, gun nut folks... I finally feel at home hug.gif  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Good news!! now give us a range report!!........and pics!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:11:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Good news!! now give us a range report!!........and pics!!

Would love to... as soon as:

1:  I get some .223 ammo

2:  The AWB sunsets so I can drop my Preban upper on

3:  The navy gives me some time to go to the range!

4:   I figure out how to post pics on this thing!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Top Prop  off topic but you wouldn't be at the Cradle of Aviation would you?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Top Prop  off topic but you wouldn't be at the Cradle of Aviation would you?

Yep.  Work up at Milton (Nas Whiting)
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:07:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Top-Prop, when I was a USMC armorer, I had a weapon come into our armory for repair that had almost the exact same thing happen.  Apparently the Marine the rifle was issued to COMPLETELY disassembled the rifle.  He put the plunger and spring for the bolt catch in backwards (plunger first).  No matter what we did, we couldn't get it out.   One of the civilian QC got the idea to try and drill it out.  The drill walkedand the receiver was gouged.  

The receiver was declared unserviceable, and replaced.

I like the heat it or Superglue ideas.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Top-Prop, when I was a USMC armorer, I had a weapon come into our armory for repair that had almost the exact same thing happen.  Apparently the Marine the rifle was issued to COMPLETELY disassembled the rifle.  He put the plunger and spring for the bolt catch in backwards (plunger first).  No matter what we did, we couldn't get it out.   One of the civilian QC got the idea to try and drill it out.  The drill walkedand the receiver was gouged.  

The receiver was declared unserviceable, and replaced.

I like the heat it or Superglue ideas.

USMC211...

YAARCH!!!   sorry sometimes I do that when I say USMC...      Just kidding I work with a bunch of Marines and enjoy every minute of it.    

Anyways, If you look a few posts above, I managed to get it out with some fine drillwork.    I didn't put it in backwards... the plunger just was a tad too big for the hole and when i was tryin to fit it i put it in just a tad too far...

Thanks for the advice!

Top_Prop
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 12:38:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Try whacking the receiver with a rubber mallet on the left side.  Use the plunger's inertia to work it lose, like taking the sideplates off a S&W revolver.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

AR building is very easy.  It's the people that try to shortcut the system and build them without the proper tools that seem to make it hard.  And, occassionally, an out of spec part can drive the most experienced builder crazy trying to make it fit.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I have build some six or more ARs with various parts kits and receivers. Just about everytime, I encounter some sort of problem in assembly. I always have managed to find my way around the problems that I usually have, Sometimes it is out of spec parts, roll pins not rolled enough, or crud in the holes of the receiver. There is an answer, you just have to take a step back and think for a while. Newbies have to start somewhere. I would use the super glue idea.
Hispeedal1
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top